Homemade hookaroon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Made a couple yesterday. I had some plate steel lying around, so I eyeballed a design, cut it, then cut a couple smaller pieces to weld to the sides for weight and strength. After I assembled it onto an old pruning saw pole, I realized it was awfully heavy, so I made the second one with only 1 layer of steel. Much better. Had enough pole leftover as well. Two hookaroons for a total cost on $0 and took about an hour.
Not pretty, but functional. Go ahead and laugh at my welding. I need a new visor- can barely see out of the one I have, but that's still no excuse for my bead.

IMG_5043.JPG IMG_5045.JPG IMG_5046.JPG IMG_5047.JPG

Hay Uncle:
Get yourself a small 1/16" rope and bind ( as tight as you can ) the handle from just below the head down about 4".
You stand a good chanch of splitting the handle as it is.

Nice homemade tool.

David

a01d2995db1ebdaa8bf1bd1e02e497c3_grim-reaper4-clipart-grim-reaper_615-533.png

I've used it a fair bit today on some smaller chunks to feed my shop stove.

I've honed it nice and sharp and am now only waiting for an opportunity to put it through my toe or shin bone. Then I'm sure I will be screaming for death.

Does kinda look like a mini scythe. Good prop for a kid for Halloween next year, and double as a good self-defense weapon.

I looked at the Fiskars hookaroon and some others that were more curved inward, and decided on a more straightforward approach. Anybody know why some of them curve in so much??

xa22.png

I find I use the axaroon the most , especially at the splitter , it is especially handy to cut the occasional stringy bit that doesn't want to come loose, I used to keep a hatchet near the splitter for those but now the same tool lifts the log and cuts the strings

http://www.landmsupply.com/department/lawn-garden/timber-removal/woodchuck-tools-pick-axe

I thought about that as well, but was worried about the weight. Seems rather heavy to use one-handed, and I really wanted one-handed use.

if you look at it the ax side is very short

the hook side looks like laser cut steel and is only about 4 inches the axe side is only about 1 1/2 inches
the eye is welded steel

the length is about what yours is but with 1 1/2 inches out the other side , it works well one handed

welding an eye should prevent20161209_081430.jpg it wanting to split then a roll pin works easily to hold the head from working off

I have a pickaroon that doesn't have the barbed design of the axaroon it has more of a hook and I don't like it quite as much

when you sing if you swing across your body in front of you your less likely to hit your shin or foot

I think the real test is dragging and lifting , if you have the hook/barb right you can lift with a 75 pound rounds onto the splitter without loosing them lifting turns into a 2 handed job

I made a hookaroon from an old axe, which I like a lot for moving rounds that don't require a cant hook or tie tongs.

To pull rounds back out of the trailer bed, I first used a hoe or a rake. They worked, but the heads are not firmly attached or intended for forces in the pulling direction. Then I made one from a piece of conduit and Grade 5 bolt, but it was too heavy to use one handed. Then I modified a garden weeder with a molded on head that was quite strong. Used that for years.

Last month I made one from Harry's idea here using the 1-1/8 inch wood closet pole about 6 ft long. I used a ½ inch grade 5 bolt, tack welded a piece of curved tubing to the bolt to prevent it from rotating, then heated and oil quenched it to put some hardness back (although this is used as a hook to drag things, not to pierce into the wood grain.) The conduit connector works well to spread the load and prevent the wood from splitting out. The picture shows the point about 2-1/2 inches past the side of the wood, but I’d go 3 inches, using a 5 inch bolt. I table sawed off part of the side for my fingers to orient the hook without looking. This works REALLY nice and is very light. Kudos to Harry.

I used the axe hookaroon around the splitter (to drag rounds off the lift/shelf onto the beam) by short grasping the handle up near the head. It worked, but was clumsy.

Then I made this shortest one from an old framing hammer that the owner had destroyed by pounding the face on metal framing bar. I ground the back side to sharpen the point, and the sides to narrow the points to about ¼ inch wide each. I grew up using a bale hook on the farm, so am accustomed to an 'arm extension'. I use this all the time to reach across the splitter, pull rounds from the table or log lift, and onto the beam. One thing I found accidentally but the two points give a much better grip than single point. I can twist the wrist and turn the rounds. Single point hooks pivot and come loose. The two points stays bit and twists the round around. For picking up rounds, I hook the far end with the hammer, and pick up the near end with my left hand. Big difference in how far I have to bend over to pick up wood. Love it. It lays on the splitter toolbox right near my hand. The claws sort of work to chop through elm fibers above the wedge. I suppose I could weld a piece of flat stock on the hammer face side, but it works fine for now. I end up using this one far more than the axe length one.

kcj

Attachments

• IMG_0097.JPG
    IMG_0097.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0088.JPG
    IMG_0088.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0089.JPG
    IMG_0089.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0095.JPG
    IMG_0095.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0092.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
  • Side OA.JPG
    Side OA.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 81
  • Side view ground.JPG
    Side view ground.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 77
  • Top view ground.jpg
    Top view ground.jpg
    598.2 KB · Views: 71
OK, now you guys have gone and done it! I have been thinking about making something along these lines to help drag the splits out of the truck. I have a plastic ax handle that the head fell off and this is going to be my hookaroon or whatever. I'll post pictures when I'm done.

i could see where a hatchet length could be very handy at the splitter

i also first started with my multi purpose hoe that I keep in the back of my truck , had cows out one day and it was a live stock cane , later a hook to pull tie down straps over a load , it worked ok for pulling rounds out fo the truck but no where near as good as the hookaroon

my first attempt at a hookaroon was a bolt through and old wooden bat , it worked but grinding the bolt I lost the temper and it dulled quick but then I knew it was a tool I needed and purchase 2

Hay Uncle:
Get yourself a small 1/16" rope and bind ( as tight as you can ) the handle from just below the head down about 4".
You stand a good chanch of splitting the handle as it is.

Nice homemade tool.

David

Good point. I split one of them today! I'll cut the metal to work with that set up better and post more pics.

I made this one three years ago this month. 1/4" stock welded togehter with a Grade 5 bolt and nut welded and cut to match:

IMG_2235%20Large_zps4pujtzxj.jpg

IMG_2236%20Large_zpsnsao6dim.jpg

IMG_2237%20Large_zpsmkasjy32.jpg

Pretty cool, looks like it may even pick hard woods. My homemade versions handle bent like a banana on the hard woods. Looks good man.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I find I use the axaroon the most , especially at the splitter , it is especially handy to cut the occasional stringy bit that doesn't want to come loose, I used to keep a hatchet near the splitter for those but now the same tool lifts the log and cuts the strings

http://www.landmsupply.com/department/lawn-garden/timber-removal/woodchuck-tools-pick-axe
Now that their is a good double use tool because I have the hookaroon and the cheap HF hatchet to cut the stringys with.

Latest posts

Back