Homemade hookaroon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK so I fired up the stove in the shop today and spent some quality time in there! I took a plastic (whatever) handle from a HD axe/maul thing and a 1/2" bolt along with a piece of 1 5/8" ID pipe and turned it into a pickaroon :) The weight and balance seem good so far I've only used it on a couple of splits I have near the garage. I still want to make a grim reaper type too like the Fiskars.
wtrSGJl.jpg

AiFsHGn.jpg

Made a couple yesterday. I had some plate steel lying around, so I eyeballed a design, cut it, then cut a couple smaller pieces to weld to the sides for weight and strength. After I assembled it onto an old pruning saw pole, I realized it was awfully heavy, so I made the second one with only 1 layer of steel. Much better. Had enough pole leftover as well. Two hookaroons for a total cost on $0 and took about an hour.
Not pretty, but functional. Go ahead and laugh at my welding. I need a new visor- can barely see out of the one I have, but that's still no excuse for my bead.

View attachment 564949 View attachment 564950 View attachment 564951 View attachment 564952
Cool, and no one should dis the beads. they're not that bad and purely functional anyways.
I may call those "Grim Reaper" hookeroons....lol

Ok, got them modified now. This black thread was given to me by a guy who said the Air Force uses it to hold stuff together in the same way. It's a little tacky and very strong. After I got that on I wrapped it in electrical tape.
IMG_5071.JPG

I also modified the tip just a bit so it's pointing back towards the handle a bit more.

Well I got some mileage on the homemade hookaroon this week and I must say it's a great tool to have around. I wish I had one years ago now.
It's real handy for dragging the splits off the truck for the first couple rows. It's also great for dragging/rolling the big rounds to the log lift.
I cut all my wood 2' and split it then stack it in the truck.

Well I got some mileage on the homemade hookaroon this week and I must say it's a great tool to have around. I wish I had one years ago now.
It's real handy for dragging the splits off the truck for the first couple rows. It's also great for dragging/rolling the big rounds to the log lift.

Same here. First time I used mine, I kicked myself for not buying one years prior.

Now all you need is to build another one like that only with an 8" handle (I used a wooden closet pole). I haven't crawled up into the bed of the PU to unload since, Use short one for first 2 or 3 rows, long one to hook the remaining rows back where the short one can reach 'em.

Same here. First time I used mine, I kicked myself for not buying one years prior.

Now all you need is to build another one like that only with an 8" handle (I used a wooden closet pole). I haven't crawled up into the bed of the PU to unload since, Use short one for first 2 or 3 rows, long one to hook the remaining rows back where the short one can reach 'em.

In case anyone is reading this and wondering how an 8" (inch) handle is useful, he meant 8' (foot) handle. ;)

In case anyone is reading this and wondering how an 8" (inch) handle is useful, he meant 8' (foot) handle. ;)

Thanks, I saw that as soon as I signed in. I even proofread it before sending and still missed it. Although when I am toatlly pooped, on my knees with one more stick to pick up an 8" might be a good idea.

I could see making some nice "drainage" holes in my pickup bed floor with one of these...:innocent:

Why would that be? You don't "slam" it down, just reach out and hook it. A gentle jab does the trick. I have seen some homemade 8'ers made using a railroad spike where the weight alone might do it? Definitely overkill for the job.

Did some wood this weekend and reminded me to modify the 'hammer' wood hook. Didn't want to weld to high carbon as it would likely crack eventually. Didn't want to anneal it as I wanted the hardness in the prongs.

I ground off the strike face and made it into a 1-1/4 inch wide hatchet face. Lots of cooling, not overheated, and edge seems retained its toughness without embrittlement.

Question: I have no edit button on original post. Do they expire after time? Have never the edit button before. Ideas?

IMG_0066.JPG IMG_0081.JPG IMG_0082.JPG

visor- can barely see out of the one I have, but that's still no excuse for

Unc:
Auto darkening, with battery power. Bought one for dads old eyes. I liked it so much I bought one for me. solar cell lasted about 5 yrs. bat powered is better.
TOTALLY changed how I work. I would not trust my eyes to Harbor Freight but quality gear has come way down. I think my current SpeedGlass was under $200. Good chunk of hard earned money but worth it.

Back