homemade tools of the job??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuttin-4-heat

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
in another post i seen pics of crankcase splitin tools, skiding tongs, cant hooks, and mill set ups and I LOVED IT !!! i have an obession with building my own if at all possible. my shop techer in hs said spend the money you have to buy something or buy tools and build two. so what have you guys built to cut wood etc. ?????????
id like to know about ideas for :

cant hooks
timberjacks too
logsplitters
loading devices ( i have a idea but still hammerin on the details)
stump vise
storage set ups tools,saws,bars.oil,fuel,wood........
anything else i missed

in another post i seen pics of crankcase splitin tools, skiding tongs, cant hooks, and mill set ups and I LOVED IT !!! i have an obession with building my own if at all possible. my shop techer in hs said spend the money you have to buy something or buy tools and build two. so what have you guys built to cut wood etc. ?????????

I'd like to see all this stuff too. But, in my experience:

timberjacks too -- don't need it, just don't stick your saw in the dirt

loading devices -- we employ a guy who used to play on the defensive line of the 49ers and call him "liftgate"

stump vise -- don't need it, sit indian style and hold the bar in the crook of your knee.

I make as many tools for woods work as I have the time and gear necessary to do the job and they are made stronger than the stuff I can buy around here.
Pioneerguy600

IMG_2133.jpg

IMG_3119.JPG

IMG_3122.JPG

shihl 031 AV

Hello, I have two 031 AV's the one I have rebuilt carb and it will run,but when u rev to full throttle it hesitates then goes ,then when u let off to idle it wont idle right and gas leaks out by carb ,and u can't adjust it.Any ideas on what to check ?The other one I put a atom module on, it started then stalled and wont start again .It has great spark and it also did what other one does before I put atom module on it ,but points where bad also. Thanks for any help Duke [email protected] (419) 234-1003

well i try to use whatever advantages i can most times i work alone and cant load heavy chunks alone. i dont stick my bar in the ground but still like timberjack when it makes sense for job at hand. stump vise = no need to park my @ss on the wet ground lol. metals406 i did not see your timberjack post up some pics if you could. pioneerguy that looks good how long are your handles? what did you use to make the hooks ?

how bout setups for moving logs in the woods ie drag up the hill type stuff?

pics of your best creation anyone? ya know the tools after you use them the 1st time you say how did i do that without this thing before.

well i try to use whatever advantages i can most times i work alone and cant load heavy chunks alone. i dont stick my bar in the ground but still like timberjack when it makes sense for job at hand. stump vise = no need to park my @ss on the wet ground lol. metals406 i did not see your timberjack post up some pics if you could. pioneerguy that looks good how long are your handles? what did you use to make the hooks ?

TimberjackMarch2008001.jpg

TimberjackMarch2008002.jpg

TimberjackMarch2008003.jpg

TimberjackMarch2008006.jpg

Timberjack.gif

It's not painted, so it doesn't look real pretty... Looks don't help it lift wood though. :D

Last edited:

My handles are approx 60" long and the hooks are cut from T1 7/16 plate, the peavey took about three hours start to finish and the jack about half that. I have a lot of stuff that I don`t have picts of, I make my own snatch blocks, chokers, a smaller version of a log roller+wedge and lifter which is a handy tool and the pulp hooks shown on the tailgate of the truck save the fingers for loading and unloading any wood that can be lifted physically. I also make and carry an assortment of push poles called Samson poles around here to assist when a push is needed to topple a tree.
Pioneerguy600

I make as many tools for woods work as I have the time and gear necessary to do the job and they are made stronger than the stuff I can buy around here.
Pioneerguy600

IMG_2133.jpg

IMG_3119.JPG

IMG_3122.JPG

Not to get off course but dude you need to pt a few more saws in that truck. Haha did you use everyone that day? Also nice homemade tools.:clap:

Not to get off course but dude you need to pt a few more saws in that truck. Haha did you use everyone that day? Also nice homemade tools.:clap:

That is only a few of the saws I use on a daily basis when out doing close quarters removal and yes all of the saws on the truck were emptied in a twelve hour job where 50-60 foot tall hardwood had to be taken down with zero clearance between buildings, something like 20-22 trees that day, only small stuff no bigger than 16 " on the stump.
Pioneerguy600

anyone else ? take some pics while your in the shop garage shed or whatever. pioneerguy can you post some pics if you can get'em- the log roller loader would be good. got to find a way to try and save my back.

do you make chain chokers? that is on my list have to figure out a way to pull logs up this hill.

Back