Wood hauler build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice build and very clever. I'm guessing you load it up by hand? How many hours would you say went into the build? Top notch work.

Nice build and very clever. I'm guessing you load it up by hand? How many hours would you say went into the build? Top notch work.
I didn't keep track. Mainly I worked on it in the winter time in the shop or when weather was bad. Spare time thing. Did the body work on the cab one winter, then the bed the next.

Been plugging away on filling my storage up. Truck has been flawless and makes it so much nicer to unload.

MVC-002F_79.JPG

MVC-003F_52.JPG

This is smaller than I normally load but pull rope broke on the 028 so I just picked up what I had cut up. Normally always take my smaller trim saw, Stihl 192C, but waiting on a fuel hose that cracked. Did 2 loads today anyway so I was ready to quit. Drank 3 gallons of water. LOL

MVC-004F_37.JPG

This bay of the barn is now full

MVC-002F_80.JPG

Backside view of it.

MVC-003F_53.JPG

MVC-001F_85.JPG

Other side is close. Got the end rick done and just 3 more cross ricks to go. Going to fill in between the 2 sides in the back as well as I want to store either the truck or tractor in there. getting there!

Amazing build. Your fabrication skills are top notch. Wish my welds looked like that. I wish I had a "scrap" yard around here like that.
The scrap place is crazy nice and so are the people. Used to be just dumped on the ground but now they sort and have a lot of it under roof. makes it's so much nicer and quick to find stuff.

1689773011072.png
As I said nice welds. Stick or wire.
I took ONE course at the local junior collage to generate welder for the local steel mill. Lot of fun. We only used Reverse Polarity DC. Supposedly easier to learn on.
Now, all I have is a Lincoln 220 AC unit I got from my Dad. His welds didn't look too good.

View attachment 1098555
As I said nice welds. Stick or wire.
I took ONE course at the local junior collage to generate welder for the local steel mill. Lot of fun. We only used Reverse Polarity DC. Supposedly easier to learn on.
Now, all I have is a Lincoln 220 AC unit I got from my Dad. His welds didn't look too good.
Wire. I'm using a Miller 250X which has a higher duty cycle, borderline production machine. Grew up stick welding and have a good bit of experience there but still learning TIG. Pretty comfortable doing MIG. Appreciate the kind words about the welds. Guys out there way better than me but mine hold. LOL Biggest help I can offer is skim stuff clean to keep the rust/impurities out. If your stick welding and having issues, get a new small box of rods to rule out soaked, moisture harmed rods.

MVC-003F_55.JPG

Probably split 4 -5 cord today and loaded this load to stack in the barn.

MVC-001F_87.JPG

This load will finish what I want to store in there. This is all dead ash.

MVC-004F_38.JPG

I want to be able to store a vehicle in the barn with the rolling door so I have about 5 ricks out from the back. Stacks are 8.5 ft high and it figures out to 63.3 cord in there.

MVC-006F_11.JPG

With Ash weighing 4,200 lbs/cord that's 265,000lbs plus in there. There is a fair amount of beech, some oak and elm which are all heavier so that is a light measurement. LOL Handled it all at least twice so a 1/2 million pound workout. Filling the furnace house now and about 4 more loads will have that where I want it for the Winter.

Great job and great metal working skills
i would be interested to know the weight of the truck less body, the weight of the truck body and the weight of the whole thing with a full load!

Great job and great metal working skills
i would be interested to know the weight of the truck less body, the weight of the truck body and the weight of the whole thing with a full load!
So would I. LOL I know it is pretty heavy empty. 1/8" sheets of stainless and all the metal I put into it adds up. I just didn't want something to give/bend. When I used to work at a custom applicator, we ran 7,000 + lb over the rear axle on non dually trucks all the time. One was a 1 ton and the other a 3/4 ton square body Chevy. Broke the 3/4 tons frame, fish plated it, welded it back and never had another issue. Broke springs occasionally. They switch them out with Dodge Cummins diesel 4x4's after that. Only issue there was the Michelin E rated tires kept blowing. Went back to bias ply and never blre any more. We did have trans issues with all the trucks. Even with trans coolers, low lock in worked ground with 500 gallon of liquid weight tends to heat things up. LOL

Back