Hourly Rate for Boxer525

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got a new 525. Trying to figure a fair market hourly rate when I take this piece of equipment to work. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20170105_160618761.jpg
    IMG_20170105_160618761.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 90
Are you selling these jobs solely for this machine? Like a guy might offer bobcat service? Or are you using this machine to save your body?
Can you bill like you had an extra man on your crew and still get the job? Probably not... Can you do the job, probably faster, and easier with this machine? Yep.. could you do the job with one less man on your crew? Sometimes yes sometimes no...
Are you going to offer the customer two prices? One to use the machine and one to not? Cause if you bill extra for the machine I'd make your ass do it the hard way.... jus saying.... unless your biz is solely marketing this machine I'm not so sure you are going to get a certain $ for it. Some times you are going to pay the machine just cause it saves u effort other times it will pay you cause u get the job done faster.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

add in the cost of the machine+ what it costs to run per day+ maintenance costs and divide it by how many days you work per year.

That is your cost. Then add in your profit margin.

That's what you need to charge.

((Total cost - resale value) / the number of hours you plan to depreciate it over) + an hourly mtce rate + fuel/hr + insurance + cost to run the trailer (optional if you are using a trailer) + profit and risk. Plus the operator

This will give you a rate to charge. However, as noted above, unless you are charging a for job that is only using this machine (ie land clearing) I would suggest you don't even mention it. You should only give a single quote number and how you make that happen is not the customer's problem. You need to calculate how this machine will figure into your hourly crew and equipment charge and then determine how many hours the job will take.

A lot of good math points are already stated here, and it's going to vary based on your own situation. However, I agree with "no tree to big" on the fact that more often than not it is just making your life a lot easier and not actually bringing in a higher rate per job. It is your own responsibility to make it profitable for your company by being able to do a larger volume of work because you own it. Or to be able to get certain jobs done better/faster than anyone else because you own it. Or because you're the only one who can do a certain job efficiently due to limited access or the low ground impact it offers you. These are all of the ways that you justify buying it before you make the purchase though.

I've got a mini with a grapple too. I just bid like I normally would and if it's a big job the dingo saves hours and I get to the next job faster.
On another note: I hate when tree guys say "high risk removal" or "I'm risking my life to climb". That just means that you are doing it wrong.
Sorry Canopy I swear I didn't even see your post yesterday! We're basically thinking the same things though I see.

$85/engine hour for my sk650, for wood debris handling. X2000 hrs. is 17k. I bought it for 17.5k with attachments, put about 10k into new block, turbo, etc. Monthly payment is $300. Once I own it outright in 2 years I'll increase my profit margin. In the 3 years I've had it, it was a drain for 2 and a great help for this last year. It's worth doing the math, and having a plan (e.g. arbor trolley) for if it goes out completely.

$85/engine hour for my sk650, for wood debris handling. X2000 hrs. is 17k. I bought it for 17.5k with attachments, put about 10k into new block, turbo, etc. Monthly payment is $300. Once I own it outright in 2 years I'll increase my profit margin. In the 3 years I've had it, it was a drain for 2 and a great help for this last year. It's worth doing the math, and having a plan (e.g. arbor trolley) for if it goes out completely.

Same rate here if it's all machine work only. Grading driveways, digging, field and brush mowing all $85/hr. If it's part of tree removal like brush dragging or log loading, it's priced out as part of the job like a chainsaw is part of the job and my truck as part of the job all included as one price not broken down item by item.

Latest posts

Back