Husqvarna 353

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, men, I now own one of each. So does my best friend who lives 28 miles away. I may have to buy a backup saw for each. Shhhh... These might be the Best Buy 51 cc saws that exist.

Yes you find the right saw and you collect backups . You don't see guys with bunch of L77 laying around .. it's because they have them in vault and don't want anyone to know they have extras

Woodblocker55

What would be a good price on a 353?I was at a local pawn shop they had several Husky saws but the 353 caught my eye.Its in really good shape and has really good compression.The saw started on 3 pulls and run very strong.They had $189 on it.Im tossing around the idea of offering them $150.

That's good price . But just sometimes I found out about used saws some guys take good care of stuff and there can be alot more hours on them saws then you think. Example mine looks like new . It's a 2006 it's cut close to 200 cord. Nephew bought 026 looked like new great shape .. got it home looked at clutch guy must of cut over 800 cord needle bears feel out when we took clutch off
. He got lucky bearing never wore in to crankshaft. Anyway that's pretty good price for a used one.
If all looks good .
Woodblocker55

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info guys I'm going to go back tomorrow and see what they will do on it.I may see if they will do a package deal on it and the Stihl 038 Super they have for $200.

I just got my 353. Little scored as 300 serie saws usually are. Intake boot leak due to loose plastic clamp. Waiting parts now.

Nice condition besides piston. Front hadle has been replaced and carb heater removed but I think I can live with that..

353.jpg

Hope parts arrive soon. Just don't want to wait to see how it runs.

I just got my 353. Little scored as 300 series saws usually are. Intake boot leak due to loose plastic clamp. Waiting parts now.

Nice condition besides piston. Front handle has been replaced and carb heater removed but I think I can live with that.

View attachment 562524

Hope parts arrive soon. Just don't want to wait to see how it runs.
One has to wonder why the carb heater parts would have been removed or how that would affect performance. There are several components to the heated carb shown in the IPL. Collectively they add up to a chunk of change.

One has to wonder why the carb heater parts would have been removed or how that would affect performance. There are several components to the heated carb shown in the IPL. Collectively they add up to a chunk of change.

I have a 353G and all I can tell you when it works right mine always has. You can cut wood at -20f and saw works the same as 30f it's amazing . Mines 2006 model and I put 3/8 chain and 16 inch bar cuts freeze Oak no problem.
Woodblocker55

The 353 is a very nice 50cc saw, it just doesn't perform like a 346xp.

Everything but the top end actually is the same, when the saws are made at the same time.
Therefore, any idea why the 346XP outperforms the 353? I've seen them run side-by-side at GTG's and you really cannot tell them apart. The guy with the best chain usually won the head-to-head.

Long shot maybe he was having the super hot running issue in the summer. And thought heater was malfunctioning so he took it off. I always figured that was catalytic converter issue.

Woodblocker55

Long shot maybe he was having the super hot running issue in the summer. And thought heater was malfunctioning so he took it off. I always figured that was catalytic converter issue.

Woodblocker55

Not a bad intelligent guess. I am still rather amazed at what money they want to replace those carb heating parts. I doubt my 353 is missing any of them. I ran it last summer in the heat several times for hours with no issues. I am impressed with this saw and it revs plenty high enough for me. (Thanks Philbert.)

Therefore, any idea why the 346XP outperforms the 353? I've seen them run side-by-side at GTG's and you really cannot tell them apart. The guy with the best chain usually won the head-to-head.

Better porting - the 353 top end is designed to not perform as well as the 346xp ones, on purpose.

With OEM top ends the 346 ones also are higher quality, even though both are closed port quads. The 346xp top ends are made by Mahle, the 353 ones by Husky.

I have a 353 and mildly massaged it,, yes a very light fast saw. Actually pretty impressive for what it is.
I have a 350 with the same top end and its not quite the same,,dont know why. Maybe needs a few tanks thru it.
If husky part we as cheap here as the USA I would get a 346 top.
BBB

353 cylinder seem to have very small transfer ports compared to 346. I think that is main reason for performance. Enlarge those would propably gain lot more power. But I don't have tools and don't want to risk ruining cylinder.

Carb heater was propably removed when handle heaters have had problems. Even they shouldn't affect each other. If I find missing parts used I put heater back. New parts are just too expensive. Almost 200€ if I resellers information I found is correct.

Latest posts

Back