Hello all, had a day off from work, picked up a Husqvarna 353 that has scored piston and cylinder.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I saw that

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Picked up 353 that burned up, previous owner replaced piston and cylinder. This saw has metal intake clamp on it intake was tight, took muffler off and it had a chunked exhaust gasket which looked like someone tried repairing with rtv and cardboard. Pic will follow tonight, going to get this saw running for my father as he is currently using a beat up Poulan/husqvarna 240 as it’s light but I’m certain is on its last legs. Shall we go big bore kit or 346 p/c folks?

Attachments

• 0EEE5BD3-A733-457B-B63D-8C70BF307BDE.jpeg
    0EEE5BD3-A733-457B-B63D-8C70BF307BDE.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 8BD2A71B-F59F-4B62-9C43-212EF7442CB7.jpeg
    8BD2A71B-F59F-4B62-9C43-212EF7442CB7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Shall we go big bore kit or 346 p/c folks?

Neither.
The 353 is a bit of a pocket rocket in its own right- the last of the plastic 350's used the same cylinder with a dished piston- flat top the piston and its back to full potential.
So you save your cylinder (if it is OEM and not cheap aftermarket) and put in a new piston, new ring or whatever is needed and fix what caused the lean burn up as the cheapest option.
Are OEM top end kits from Husqvarna still a rasonable price in the States? Or is shipping to Canada not cost effective?

Shall we go big bore kit or 346 p/c folks?

Neither.
The 353 is a bit of a pocket rocket in its own right- the last of the plastic 350's used the same cylinder with a dished piston- flat top the piston and its back to full potential.
So you save your cylinder (if it is OEM and not cheap aftermarket) and put in a new piston, new ring or whatever is needed and fix what caused the lean burn up as the cheapest option.
Are OEM top end kits from Husqvarna still a rasonable price in the States? Or is shipping to Canada not cost effective?
I’ll look at the OEM cylinder and see if it’s useable, thank you. There’s since been an aftermarket cylinder burnt up as well. Oddly only one piston that looks oem but I’ll go through what’s there and if luck will have it maybe clean up the original and put a quality piston in. Time to find air leaks in this thing. Thank you for the heads up!

Silly question, I’m new to Husqvarna saws and am busy with my kids until nearly bed, can someone kindly tell me what size and type the bolt heads are that hold the cylinder to the case? I’d like to pop that off tonight. Thank you hugely to all who read this saw is a Husqvarna 353

Beyond thankful folks! Once the kids get to bed I’m gonna grab the OEM cylinder and try getting a decent pic, if the thing looks salvageable I’ll try some scotchbrite and elbow grease. Thank you again for the help it’s busy in this house with kiddos but I’m excited for this 353 to be fixed. It’s for my old man he’s 70 but still enjoys cutting. He did not appreciate my stihls (361 clone, not a Stihl but close enough to gauge his reaction) did not like the 440 (too heavy) liked my partner 500 but it needed lots of parts I didn’t have, and he’s using a Husqvarna 240 x torq which I’m always fixing but it’s now shedding bolts

Doesn’t look good for the OEM cylinder very scored on exhaust side, exhaust gasket was broken and had some cardboard around a big missing chunk and muffler had loose bolt when I got it

Attachments

• 03436175-210B-424C-B6AA-719C70A02497.jpeg
    03436175-210B-424C-B6AA-719C70A02497.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Doesn’t look good for the OEM cylinder very scored on exhaust side, exhaust gasket was broken and had some cardboard around a big missing chunk and muffler had loose bolt when I got it
It’s through the plating as far as how deep it feels but I’ll try cleaning it tomorrow to be certain I’m just going by feel for now but looks and feels deep

I may try that at lunch tomorrow when I’m at my toolbox see if that’s aluminum or scoring! Worth a shot, thank you for the tip!

I use homemade arbors in a variable speed drill. Easy-peasey.

I have only done a dozen, or so, cylinders...all of them cleaned up using the Mastermind method.

Roy

Beyond thankful folks! Once the kids get to bed I’m gonna grab the OEM cylinder and try getting a decent pic, if the thing looks salvageable I’ll try some scotchbrite and elbow grease. Thank you again for the help it’s busy in this house with kiddos but I’m excited for this 353 to be fixed. It’s for my old man he’s 70 but still enjoys cutting. He did not appreciate my stihls (361 clone, not a Stihl but close enough to gauge his reaction) did not like the 440 (too heavy) liked my partner 500 but it needed lots of parts I didn’t have, and he’s using a Husqvarna 240 x torq which I’m always fixing but it’s now shedding bolts
I was given a parts 353 recently to fix this saw I’m working on and my wife doesn’t want me spending much since I finished the 361 for myself. So I took parts saw apart, cylinder and piston were nice, one case side smashed handle and tank smashed. All was going well until a piston circlip took flight and went somewhere between the wall and workbench and it’s full of tools and lagged to the wall…. Sooooo I’m guessing it’s best to use Husqvarna clips? I was looking forward to having this saw going this weekend but that’s how she goes sometimes eh?
I use homemade arbors in a variable speed drill. Easy-peasey.

I have only done a dozen, or so, cylinders...all of them cleaned up using the Mastermind method.

Attachments

• 2B1A10A7-D399-487F-99C6-2C21114B6630.jpeg
    2B1A10A7-D399-487F-99C6-2C21114B6630.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Back