Huztle MS361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a carb kit during hls's Black Friday sale. I'm ordering Stihl parts, I've had some issues with the m5x16 screws fitting as well as the m4x8. The 8's look to be closer to 10, so I'm ordering a few of those as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replaced the 'switch shaft' with an OEM. The choke-fast idle-run transition is improved but still will go back to full choke if you aren't ready and result in a flooded engine.

We put a snap ring substitute for the '15 x 1' circlip on the crankshaft. It was missing from the parts altogether.

Starts, runs, idles and cuts.
fd65525df3bf6a25dc979e8ee3a22e65.jpg

6a584b396b38aed65d36213c72443907.jpg

It's been a week to get it this far.

Now to get some cutting time on him and adjust the carb. Muffler mod later.

What? You were expecting a Stihl Rollamatic ES bar?[emoji15]

Get real![emoji48]
Did the bar come with the saw or did you buy it separately?

Apparently you can't order the grommets for the top cover without ordering the top cover assembly. That sucks.

This is what I have left...no clue where that black screw goes. Any ideas? Extra wire harness and gasket.

6179dad2d1365c55c03eb8b44ed24e37.jpg

Screw is likely just tramp material.
I have the same wire harness left.

The muffler gasket(s) are worthless. One burned thru on mine in short order.

Yeah they look like carbon.

I emailed [email protected] about the grommets. I found them on the website so I could order them.

Found another piece I don't think I see in the ipl, any ideas?

d73d155b9465d9368678a372d00ad6ca.jpg

That the litter rubber piece and the long screw go in there?

They got back to me and are sending out the grommets. They are pretty good about responding it seems and the guys in the 660 thread were able to get missing parts easy enough.

This is what I have left...no clue where that black screw goes. Any ideas? Extra wire harness and gasket.

6179dad2d1365c55c03eb8b44ed24e37.jpg

I've been getting the same extra screw in my Huztl 660 kits lately. I vaguely remember using one like this on my Huztl 365 kit for something???

Husky have those little screws that hold a small plate across the back of the carb, about as close as I can think. Usually though it's the homeowner class huskys. I don't work on the pro ones much.

I did have some fit issues with screws being a bit long. Take a look at the difference between Huztl and Stihl.
42088085a7aea619e1d461f56b294adb.jpg

The two in the middle are Stihl. On left are the m4x8, and right m5x16. I couldn't get the bar on using the huztle m4 to hold the bar plate on, that fat head stuck outside the bar studs. And it's way too long so it didn't fit in the hole for the chain adjuster. The m5 Huztl's have a little collar at the top of the threads that made it very difficult to snug them up on a few screws.

Seeing jackjccs photo My first thought was , yeah don't forget to watch for fastener interferences. Head & length.
Good points in his post!

Funny that I was, also, looking for any ridges under the screw heads.
The far left screw looks to have signs of an effort at creating them.

Are you guys (and gals?) seeing any problems with things like the shank (immediately under) the head of the far right screw?
I'm thinking like screws being a bit tricky to get tightened and maybe having something work loose?
Sort of like the way bar stud tapers or shoulders sometimes cause a bit of trouble with keeping a bar & chain tight.

I hope that you guys don't mind, too badly, that I'm "living" vicariously through reading these Hutzle kit builds.

Ok, since nobody has posted for awhile, I though I would do an update on the current 361 kit (as I received one for Christmas) particularly for anyone who reads this and is on the fence about getting one. So far the build quality of the kits seems to have gone up dramatically in the areas where they were having problems. I was rather surprised how nice the cylinder ports looked. I filed the edges down a tad but there was no excess flashing like was previously present in the castings. I believe that the ports were good enough to be left alone, but I wanted to be safe and cleaned it up a little. The screws that you were recently discussing seemed to be fixed. The ridges on the bottom are more prominent, and the funky taper near the screw head seems to have gone away. The spring in the carb appears to be smaller and not as stiff as previously seen, although I have yet to run the saw to see if that is true. The only part that was missing so far is the circlip for the crankshaft near the oil pump. Other than that all parts appears to be exceptional quality.

I am not finished with my build yet, as I was having troubles with the oil seal on the clutch side and broke the crankcase gasket.:oops: I decided to order an oem gasket and seals kit, and with that I ordered the fuel/oil lines as well as the air filter. I decided to get the oil line in particular because I had an issue with an aftermarket line on a smaller stihl leaking after a while, and due to the ease of replacement when disassembled. For those who have been running their saws for some time now, how have the rubber components like the fuel/oil lines held up? I'm rather curious to see if they are any good. If anyone has any questions about the newest kits feel free to ask.

I don't trust the manifold, I'm having fuel issues and I feel like there isn't a good seal for the carb to the manifold. It will only sputter, but I've barely tried to diagnose it yet. We will see when I get around to taking it apart again.

Latest posts

Back