If you were to buy a new saw 60 cc and under

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red97

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am going to be In the market for a new firewood saw. Just wanted to hear some opinions.

What is your favorite 1 saw 60cc and under for getting firewood? Lets say 18" and smaller whole trees.

List bar length and chain type. And pros/ cons about the model.

ONLY 1 saw this time fella's

Thank you
Joe

560xp for sure - but in the US it is about 2260, 562xp, 555 and 2158 - they all are 59.8cc, with the 555 and 2158 being "detuned".:numberone:

346/550xp are both great choices for 18" bars, the 555/562 would offer a little more power. If you have a good deal of wood over 12" I would opt for the 555/562

Just the scenario 18" trees top to bottom with one saw. so 346/550 or the 555/562.

Price does not matter. Just want everybody opinion based on the same scenario, I understand every saw has a sweet spot for certain size wood. That is why I asked for dropping/limbing/ bucking a standard 16-18" trees with one saw for firewood.

Thank you for the reply.

Just the scenario 18" trees top to bottom with one saw. so 346/550 or the 555/562.

Price does not matter. Just want everybody opinion based on the same scenario, I understand every saw has a sweet spot for certain size wood. That is why I asked for dropping/limbing/ bucking a standard 16-18" trees with one saw for firewood.

Thank you for the reply.

Depends on the tree, and the amount and structure of limbs - but all the mentioned saws will do it grazefully!

550xp would be my saw in this instance. It's lighter and revs a bit quicker for limbing, but still has plenty of grunt for felling/bucking.

Kickback from what? No more than any other saw. He always has 550's don't worry about the one in the trader.

You don't have any bad kickbacks, as long as you hold the saw properly, and keep an eye on the tip of the bar. Pushback when bore-cutting isn't an issue either, if you are prepared for it.....

Scenario tree Hard maple Pictured between barn and trailer. Imagine it in an open field and 16-18" at stump

1 saw drop/limb/buck. Go

18" and under 550xp regardless of what XSKIER says.
Uhh...? Just last night you flamed me for trying to fell and buck 14" DBH trees with a flimsy 550xpat 16"! I may have been drinking a few, but I have a pretty good handle on what has been written.

The reality of the situation is: If you need to gather firewood, then you're going to need a MS 362 C-M. If you want to put on a tutu, zip off 2" limbs from pecker pole pine (that was fell with a real saw) then finish it off with some yard cookies, then you're going to want a 550xpat.

Back