is my 066's clutch smoked?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
i just fired it up for the first time. it started well seems to rev up and idle fine too. only thing i noticed was the chain is creeping a bit. i dont think its adjusted too fast cuse the idle sounds good to me. also when i rev it up and let off it the chain does stop but its takes too log imo.

theres also a pretty loud rattling noise which seems to be comming from the clutch area but havent looked into it as of yet?

any ideas? is the clutch fairly cheap and easy to replace?

i didnt get it into any wood yet but will today just to see how it goes.

Likely a spring is off/ broken in the clutch, very easy to have a look see. Best to do it before running it and screwing up the saw with clutch parts coming loose.

When it is idling, hit the chain break, if the saw dies it is a clutch spring. Replace all 3.
A clutch runs about $85. I just put one in a problem 660, that is no longer a problem.

From the looks of the drum on your beast, I wouldn't be surprised if the clutch wasn't overheated, and at least the springs shot.

Look carefully at the shoes... If the holes are elongated, new springs will only be a tempeoraty solution. They also wear on at the contact point with the center spider, as does the spider. If any keepers are broken, replace all three.

Last edited:
Look carefully at the shoes... If the holes are elongated, new spings will only be a tempeoraty solution. They also wear on at the contact point with the center spider, as does the spider. If any keepers are broken, replace all three.

Good point Andy. That is why I replaced the entire clutch, springs helped a little, but the entire system needed rebuilt, so I just went new. A new drum and bearing work wonder too.

ok i took it all apart i didnt find anything broken that i can see. its disgusting inside but i dont know where that rattling was coming from. heres some pics. should i just clean everything and put it back together? ive never dont this before so im not sure what exactly to look for.

oh and the clutch bearing is totally shot it sot so hot it started to melt it looks like. any help would be great

looks liek the husky oil cap isnt gonna fly either it leaks like crazy :(. hopefully a stihl cap will fix that

I am not a Stihl expert, but it looks like your shoes are worn out wear they contact the spider. I am not familiar with the stihl clutches, so this could be normal but it looks off to me.

attachment.php

ok i just took it outside and blew the disgusting saw off. i figured whats making that noise. theres a large flat washer thats on the crank underneith the clutch. i spun it around by hand and thats definatly the noise. heres a pic of the washer it was just sitting on the crank is it supposed to be like that? maybe the holes slopped out ill go take some measurements

Yes.. it's clamped by the clutch and shoidl fit snug'ish on the shaft. The noise is your shoes wobbling around hitting it.

If your beairng is shot. then your drum will likely be also. With a new bearing, the drum shoiud only have a small amount of wobble whem pressed on opposing sides.

Take off your clutch springs and see if they've worn into the shoe holes. Replace the springs anyhow.

Last edited:
ok i went to the dealer and they didnt have any bearings :cry: so i guess ill just put in a baileys order. ill whats an acceptable level of drum wear? i can go mic it up.

LOL, Another fine example of dealer support, why shouldn't you buy saws with no local dealers again.:)

clutch drums are cheap, and expensive if they break, just get a new one.

I've had marginal luck with changing clutch springs, typically by the time that i need to change the springs the clutch has grooves wore in it. I typically just change the clutch.

ok i went to the dealer and they didnt have any bearings :cry: so i guess ill just put in a baileys order. ill whats an acceptable level of drum wear? i can go mic it up.

Screw that :censored: drum, its smoked already! Its only about $12 for a new drum, and a few $ more for the rim and bearing.

Most stihl dealers won't realize they don't have the drum bearing... It changed..

Wear on the drum - 0.5mm.

The wear I was refering to is the wear in the bearing portion... They wallow out. Forget measuring it, just use the rock test with a new bearing.

Be carefull with aftermaket clutch bearings - They are all shorter than the current oem. The oem is now 10x16x13. It was 12mm up to 2002 but is now longer for all 064,66,650 and 660.

You can use the 12mm if you like (easy to find... same on 034 though MS460)), but with the 13 the drum will last a lot longer.

ok thanks guys i cleaned everything up and put it back together for the hell of it. after all i didnt get to try it in any wood.

so the brake works perfectly and ive discovered it only makes that rattling clanking noise when the brake isnt on. as soon as i engage the brake it stops completly. does this totally confirm its the sloppy bearing?

i ordered a new bearing, some chains and a stihl oil cap to replace the badly leaking husky.

i do plan on doing the clutch and drum also but thats gonna be on the next baileys order.

oh and i didnt have any big logs on hand that wernt buried in ice. so i grabbed maybe a 16" log and went at it. now the chain needs a sharpening but i tried to bog it down as hard as i could and couldnt even slow it :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back