is the stihl power pole saw worth????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericjeeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Is it all its hyped up to be for the 599 bones?
We need one for barnlot cleanup and around the fields.. But if someone else makes a similar unit would I be better off? Echo? ?"

Eric,
I have the HT131 Stihl and really like it. Is it worth the money? I guess it is up to you, I am sure it is overkill for my use but the 4-mix is very powerful and easy to start. As for competitive models, I have no experience with any of them so I can't say anything good or bad.

It all depends on hard you wanna work, If your using a hand pole saw for a lot of limbing you are a bad dude. Mine is the HT131 and it will cut anything you got, I even run a 14 inch bar on mine. It will not bog down even when it's buried. I have cut some big limbs with mine. I even took a dead blackjack oak tree down with it. [except the trunk] I really like mine, If you figure what it would cost for someone to come and trim all your trees you would come out cheaper with the saw. I know that's what i did when all my big oaks needed trimming. I did trim them as far as i could reach and their was some big limbs. Stihl makes a 45 degree adapter for it, I was gonna get one but they are 200 bucks.

I have the HT 101 and like it. I added the 30 degree adapter. I use the same 14 inch chain as on my 200T. The 131 was not out when I got mine. It won't buck logs, but it is good on branches.

Yes, worth it.
I have the 131. Paid $650. for it.
Bent pole will cost you $350. No I haven't bent mine. I just happened to ask when I purchased mine. Makes you be real careful with it. Dealer said most poles are actually bent while in the pick up truck, stuck out a window, or driven over.
Before I bought the pole pruner I helped my uncle 78 yr old farmer trim back the woods from his fields. Couple of pieces of plywood tied with twine string to the top of a hay wagon for staging. He'd drive the tractor along the woods while I would cling low to the staging. Then stop and cut. Lots of danger. Will never do it again.
Told him I'll take care of it now with the pole pruner. It has worked very well. It is heavy and when I work it for 3 or 4 hours my arms and shoulders remind me the next day or so.
I have found many uses for it.

Those are good prices. I priced 3 Stihl dealers around me, and they were all $650. I bought mine in June.

Yes it is worth it if you are going to use it often. I have the 131.

If you are going to use it occasionally then get the KM130 with the saw attachment and three ft extension then you will have a very versitle tool.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The one I was looking at was a 2 stroke

with a telescopic pole..
for 599. I saw the four stroke kombi type stuff.. But the salesman was saying the telescopic was better and has a longer reach, plus is adjustable without having to add or subtract pieces.

with a telescopic pole..
for 599. I saw the four stroke kombi type stuff.. But the salesman was saying the telescopic was better and has a longer reach, plus is adjustable without having to add or subtract pieces.

The HT101 and 131 are 4-Mix, which runs on 50:1 fuel mix. They are the only one's that Stihl makes. They extend to 11 1/2 feet and the Kombi with 3ft ext will reach a little over 10ft, plus it's lighter and has solid steel drive shafts, which are stronger.

I have the 101 and the kombi but to be honest I use my silky
more that either. I like the light weight of the silky vrs the
motor pole but I use it enough to keep gas fresh!

Check out Russo power equipment Schiller Park IL................they had the HT101 for 509.00 and HT131 for 549.00

Russo.... one day Stihl will catch them selling mail order....

Unless you intend to use it a lot, I recommend the KM130 with the fixed extensions. Then you can use it as a weed eater, blower, hedge trimmer etc.. The carbon fiber extension make it real easy to add an extra one... ;). And you can break it down to a very small package.

Last edited:
Second-hand HT75? Certainly in the UK they come up on eBay pretty cheap, and they usually have very low hours - most homeowners buy them for a job, then realise a 5m saw is not very useful. HT75 is a great tool, but has others have said, you'd not want to be working for hours with it.

HT75 has been a handy tool to have around.

depending upon situation... gets used a lot or sits. just another tool in the quiver.

mine has come in real handy for storm work. where branches have fallen and ended up under extreme tension. one is able to do those super dangerous cuts at a safer distance.

HT75 is a great tool, but has others have said, you'd not want to be working for hours with it.

I'll throw this in for the heck of it.

Years ago my father was trimming trees in the yard. He had put a scaffold on top of a trailer to reach the limbs. One of the limbs fell across the electrical wires in to the house, bounced back and hit him in the head knocking him off the trailer for a fall of about 10 feet. He was 70 years old at the time and a tough old man. He never really got over it.

We all get in a hurry and get careless sometimes.In the long run it pays to do the right thing with the right equipment.

I am now a new stihl owner

I shucked out the cash for a new HT131 today.Dealer threw in a spare chain all for 600.00 out the door. Tax exempt farm use.

Latest posts

Back