is the stihl power pole saw worth????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shucked out the cash for a new HT131 today.Dealer threw in a spare chain all for 600.00 out the door. Tax exempt farm use.

Using an HT75 for same purpose. After 3 tanks of fuel I am ready to find something else to do for rest of day. I tend to spend tooo much time with the pole fully extended and the motor at chest height. Spent about week trimming limbs around fields this spring.

Combine windows are really expensive also.

It all depends on hard you wanna work, If your using a hand pole saw for a lot of limbing you are a bad dude. Mine is the HT131 and it will cut anything you got, I even run a 14 inch bar on mine. It will not bog down even when it's buried. I have cut some big limbs with mine. I even took a dead blackjack oak tree down with it. [except the trunk] I really like mine, If you figure what it would cost for someone to come and trim all your trees you would come out cheaper with the saw. I know that's what i did when all my big oaks needed trimming. I did trim them as far as i could reach and their was some big limbs. Stihl makes a 45 degree adapter for it, I was gonna get one but they are 200 bucks.

I have the Kombi 130R with the extension, pole saw and 30 degree attachment. I use a 10" and 16" bar and the 12" with carbide chain, which I like the most.

That is certainly an impressive unit, I have stuck shims in the pole part as some place wouldn't tighten up enough. Has enough torque to twist the extension, took me a while to figure out that it could be repositioned back. It is really too long in the short position and of course in the long position it often seems not quite long enough. It is quite tiring to use, be careful as the branches you cut off can slide down the pole right at you.

Unfortunately after a couple of years many more little branches appear where you cut off one.

Yeah these pole pruners can make a pile of brush in no time. They also can be hazardous when you are reaching high, the stuff will sometimes want to come right at you. It's the most dangerous piece of equipment I have.IMO. Echo ppt-288 with 4' extension. Good Luck .

I have the Stihl HT-131. It's all you'll ever need in a pole saw.

In anticipation of buying mine, I opened up a (insert name here) credit card account. They had a promotion going that if you made a purchase of at least $500.00 within the first three months of opening the account, you got $200.00 cash back.

I bought my HT-131 from an ACE Hardware. They gave me 10% off of MSRP. I used my new credit card to purchase the HT-131. I actually got almost $207.00 back for whatever reason.

The final cost to me was right about $345.00 for my HT-131.

In regards to the angle drive unit, I haven't found the need for one.......yet. But, Ii I happen across one at a good price, chances are, I'll get it anyways.

A problem with the angle drive is that it is almost impossible to cut a kerf size notch in the bottom of a large limb. It kicks out as soon as you touch it. Whereas with the angle of the straight blade you can by just starting on the far side and keeping the tip in the wood. And, if you can't notch a large limb you can get hung up easily.

Main negative IMHO to Stihl polesaws is the weight of the steel tube. Much prefer the aluminum tube of Tanaka, has let me run it most all day, in Aug. even. Got one for ~$250 on Bailey's closeout- priceless.

Quick story. When I ordered mine from ACE Hardware, they'd never carried one in-stock before, because of it's price.

When it came in, two guys from the service dept. prepped it for delivery to me. Both were rather amazed at how much power (torque) it made. One guy said it almost twisted right out of his hands. The other guy asked his co-worker if it was supposed to make that much power?

Anyways, both guys were very impressed with it. Before I left, they asked if it was okay for potential HT-131 customers to call me and ask me about it and how I liked it. I said fine, and they said that they'd make it worth my while, if someone came in to buy one and mentioned having called me.

So far, I've received one free extra bar for it.

Quick story. snip One guy said it almost twisted right out of his hands. snip
This is true, it is also true for the similar displacement Efco 4 cycle Honda powered trimmer with the pole pruner attachment. The twisting is on change in rpm of the engine and adds to the tiring (fatigue of muscles) effect. Strange thing is the Stihl one reminds me of a 50cc Honda mini bike made into a pit bike for adults and the Honda/Efco one sounds mild mannered.

This is true, it is also true for the similar displacement Efco 4 cycle Honda powered trimmer with the pole pruner attachment. The twisting is on change in rpm of the engine and adds to the tiring (fatigue of muscles) effect. Strange thing is the Stihl one reminds me of a 50cc Honda mini bike made into a pit bike for adults and the Honda/Efco one sounds mild mannered.

Stihls are prone to twisting in your hands on accelerating the engine, relative to Tanaka ferinstance, because the left-hand grip is just a rubber coating applied to the tube. The Tanaka has a left-hand grip that stands off the tube for ~8", that you can position as desired. Much preferable, IMO. I really like intelligent designs, FWIW.

Back