I've Been Screwed!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i don't think it is the same thing there as it would be here....

ol'homey said:
One more idea. The saw looks like it's more than 2 years old. Use the serial number to find out when it was made and if possible when it was sold. If it's more than 2 years old then the saw is "NOT as described" case closed. Ebay/Paypal will have to refund your $. My experience with Ebay is that the burden of proof is on the buyer not the seller. They are not going to refund your $ without a fight. I charge all Ebay purchases through paypal to a credit card. If you're not satisfied, you ship it back. Then mail proof the seller has received his product back along with the dispute paperwork to your credit card co. and they will do a charge back and get your $ back. Ebay/paypal hates chargebacks and will do everything they can to get you to not use your credit card to fund purchases. Ebay/paypal are paid by and work for the seller, your credit card co. works for you and is your only real protection from fraud. If you funded this purchase through your bank acct. you are probably screwed unless you can show some really good proof that the seller misrepresented the item.

That's a good point. I've run some 440s that I know were purchased in mid 2003, and they had the compression release and different reinforcement on the rear handle. I have also run some 440s that were purchased in (I believe) '01 that were just like that one, with no compression release. That's not to say that the saw didn't sit in the shop for a couple years before it sold.

sawinredneck said:
MAN!!!!!!!!!!!! That sucks!!! I am truely sorry!!!!!
Andy
Yup, total agreement about an obviously total jerk! If ya have to bite this make sure his rep suffers, its the least you can do imo and I think can be done subtley and in good taste without you seemingly eatin' sour grapes. Justice may sometimes be blind but most people aren't. Be nice if some of the good folks around here could help you put the poor ol' beast right and I'm sure they will help you within their capacities. I really hate 'used car' salesman's tactics man, I hope his 'roids burst after a nice spicey meal, gah! Me want to rant fer you, but keep a level head mate and, as someone said up there^^ don't need the gory details but a post on the outcome would be interesting. A harsh needless lesson. :mad:
Edit> Awesome offer there Ekka! :cheers:

Last edited:
The seller did say however he took the saw to a stihl shop. They are professionals. "the stihl shop" to me, implies stihl certified technicians. Otherwise, how could you call it a stihl shop?? By saying that they looked at it and said it needed a magneato (misspelled--I'm leaving it as described), and a pull cord....

If they knew it had no spark, they must have turned the saw over, yes?? Is that not how one checks spark?? they would have to have known it was damaged. Seems like there must be a provision for this from ebay.

There's probably only one or two Stihl dealers in Helena. No stihl dealer tole him that it only needed a pull handle and magneto. Tell him if he gives you the name of the stihl dealer and they verify that's what they told him that you'll let it go. Make sure you use the Stihl dealer finder to get the phone number. If they saw that saw, they'll remembeit and if he tryly did buy a new on, they'll remember the seller.

Jim

Just took a quick gander through this gomer's feed back, on the surface the percentages look a-okay -
Reading the negatives and neutrals, sorta leaves ones mouth with a bad taste.
Seeing where he is buying parts for radio controlled cars, can sure lead one
to believe he Most Likely knew Exactly what he was selling in the Faults in
the saw you recieced. :cry: :angry2:

Best of luck:

I was writing a reply to the sellers last comment and couldn't post it. The seller had escalated the dispute to a claim so that I could no longer give input to the dispute. I did ask him in a private email who the dealer was. He's no longer responding to my emails.

Ekka, I think I need those parts. I need a crank with bearings for a 12mm piston pin, cylinder, piston, and a starter if you've got one. If you don't have anything but a good crank with bearings, that would be a great start. Any idea what shipping would be from AU? I'll send you a PM.

I would get on the stihlusa website and do a dealer locator search. I'd think they would be eager to help you on this. He has committed fraud, no matter what the ebay fine print says. Call all the dealers in the helena area and ask them about it. I would think that any honest dealer would tell you. At least, I would hope so.

Here's the serial# off the saw. He said it's only 2 years old. Then turns around and says he bought it used. I guarantee you it's more than 2 years old. It's probably stolen and used in a mass murder some where:greenchainsaw:

Serial# = X154509592

You just called his bluff as there is no dealer. He's not going to give you any more info that might be used against him. Did you fund this purchase with a credit card? If so, call them and get their dispute process going. If not, I wouldn't count on any help from Ebay/Paypal.

Unfortunately, like a fool, it was funded from my bank account. I'll have to check and see if I have any protection there. I won't be able to post during the day tomorrow, but will be watching your feedback closely. Thanks again for all the input.

You have zero protection through your bank acct. It's just like sending cash. Maybe you can prove either that the saw is over 2 yrs. old or that he did not take the saw to a Stihl dealer and therefore the saw was misrepresented. It's totally up to Ebay and as I said they work for the seller so I wouldn't get my hopes up. If you give him a neg feedback he'll just do the same for you so that might not be a good idea either. I would not give him feedback unless he gives you feedback first.

No worries, Just yell what else you need and I'll throw it in the box, I checked and I got 3 corroded 44's down there but that's the youngest and looking at the top of piston and rings etc it's reasonable.

Maybe just buff the piston but that saw wasn't retired from engine failure rather oil pissing out everywhere and crankcase seals leaking.

I think for the few bucks of freight you'll get a working saw for bugger all. And it'll be a Palm Slayer hybrid ... those yankee trees will be shakin' lol:cheers:

Last edited:
ol'homey said:
You have zero protection through your bank acct. It's just like sending cash. Maybe you can prove either that the saw is over 2 yrs. old or that he did not take the saw to a Stihl dealer and therefore the saw was misrepresented. It's totally up to Ebay and as I said they work for the seller so I wouldn't get my hopes up. If you give him a neg feedback he'll just do the same for you so that might not be a good idea either. I would not give him feedback unless he gives you feedback first.

eBay won't do jack for anyone. The dispute is being handled by PayPal. PayPal almost always leans in favor of the buyer, not the seller. It is easier for them to take funds out of the seller's account and refund to the buyer than it is for PayPal to deal with chargebacks through the CC companies. This is their defacto policy, regardless of whether you funded the purchase with your CC or bank account. With that said, using a CC gives the buyer one more 'layer' of protection if for some reason PayPal decides against him.

Back