Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Tim,

I am pretty certain when I swapped some out on one of mine ('82), I just used the 61/266 etc ones. IIRC they were the same part numbers. I know some vendors were trying to sell the front ones using the rear part numbers. The fronts have that sort of scalloped profile.

Thanks Cory. I assume they are the coarse cutting threads for plastic. I could have pulled it apart and taken them out but I have a few saws apart now that I have just got the parts I need to get them back together.
I'm going to run that 630 against my 036 to see how it compares.

I've been cutting some dead white ash this week. It is so dry that the dust flies and walking on the chips sounds like you're walking on Rice Krispies.
It keeps the air filter busy. Splits when it sees the axe so it's easy to process.

The one's I'm seeing for sale Robin are the soft ones. Good for me. I have enough shakers without adding another.
Yeah.....I think the hard ones were mostly for the 266/61 with the old metal flag chain brake.....you get pushing on the saw to hard and that would activate the chain brake when you hit the limiter....you just had push that much harder with the firm ones..LOL!

Fellas -

I have to triage a bunch of silver tops that are sitting around in the garage. Curious to hear what your process is for inspecting, cleaning, and maintenance of used saws.

What I normally do -

-Thorough clean with Simple Green and brake cleaner.

-Remove recoil assembly. Replace rope if needed (what size rope are you using?).

-New plug if needed. Add a little electrical grease to connections.

-New fuel lines and fuel filter.

-Carb kit? Or minor disassemble/clean?

-Compression test.

-Remove muffler, take a look at the piston.

-Clean oil filter under chain catcher.

-Remove clutch, clean and inspect. Grease needle bearing (what grease do y'all use?)

-Clean bar, including groove. Clean chain. Sharpen if needed.

Is it worth the effort to pull the flywheel?

What else did I miss?

Thanks,

Scott

Sounds pretty good Scott. Make sure you completely rinse/wash away any residue from the simple green. It is a citric acid base and will cause corrosion on bare mag parts. I know this sounds old school but I usually clean in older perhaps questionable gasoline or mix. As far as grease goes....generally just regular good quality wheel bearing grease on the clutch bearing....it's only in use when idling....
I do generally pull the flywheel on a newly acquired saw if it has points ign. File, match, gap the points and lube the felt cam follower. I do this even if it seems to have good spark......once done, chances are you'll never have to go back in there no matter how long you own the saw....
Almost always clean and kit the carb....I don't pull the welch plugs unless it fails the WD test. Pull the H&L needles and with a can of WD40 with the red straw inserted in each hole, and looking down the carb bore you should see two steams coming out the L side idle bleeds on either side of the throttle plate closed position. On the H side should be one stream out the main jet......have to hold the choke and throttle plate open so you cane see good. If it fails you gotta pull the plugs and clean the crap out the clogged passage. This is pretty rare that you would have to do this.....most of the time they are fine.
If the saw then runs decent, and tunes easily, not far off the one turn out initial setting I'd call it good. If not or if it requires massive carb adjustment then a pressure/vac test is in order.

Oh.... I always put a drop of oil on the recoil center bolt too. The bigger the saw the more this point will wear without a bit of lube.

Sounds like you've got it pretty much in hand.....you got some durn pretty saws there!!!!

Sounds pretty good Scott. Make sure you completely rinse/wash away any residue from the simple green. It is a citric acid base and will cause corrosion on bare mag parts. I know this sounds old school but I usually clean in older perhaps questionable gasoline or mix. As far as grease goes....generally just regular good quality wheel bearing grease on the clutch bearing....it's only in use when idling....
I do generally pull the flywheel on a newly acquired saw if it has points ign. File, match, gap the points and lube the felt cam follower. I do this even if it seems to have good spark......once done, chances are you'll never have to go back in there no matter how long you own the saw....
Almost always clean and kit the carb....I don't pull the welch plugs unless it fails the WD test. Pull the H&L needles and with a can of WD40 with the red straw inserted in each hole, and looking down the carb bore you should see two steams coming out the L side idle bleeds on either side of the throttle plate closed position. On the H side should be one stream out the main jet......have to hold the choke and throttle plate open so you cane see good. If it fails you gotta pull the plugs and clean the crap out the clogged passage. This is pretty rare that you would have to do this.....most of the time they are fine.
If the saw then runs decent, and tunes easily, not far off the one turn out initial setting I'd call it good. If not or if it requires massive carb adjustment then a pressure/vac test is in order.

Oh.... I always put a drop of oil on the recoil center bolt too. The bigger the saw the more this point will wear without a bit of lube.

Sounds like you've got it pretty much in hand.....you got some durn pretty saws there!!!!

Thanks for the detailed response, Robin. I will add these items to my checklist.

Scott

The Jonsered Fairy (aka, the DHL delivery guy) dropped off a few boxes from Sweden today -- one had a nice XF, the other had a XD Super. There was a third box with another Swedish saw, but it's an orange saw from 1960 or so; don't think y'all would be interested in that one...

Starting to lose track of how many XF's I have. I just have a hard time passing one up when I see it for sale. I have three more on the way in addition to what I have in the garage now...

IMG_0591.JPGIMG_0593.JPGIMG_0598.JPGIMG_0600.JPG

Starting to lose track of how many XF's I have. I just have a hard time passing one up when I see it for sale. I have three more on the way in addition to what I have in the garage now...

When your museum opens, please let us know. We could probably all get a fairly good group travel rate to Italy.

SO . . . . . .get THIS!!!!

BIL bought a "new in the box" Husky 450 from Lowes.
And then asks me if I have a Husky carb adjustment tool.

I thought, yeah . . . . . I have a screwdriver. But after I google husky carb adjustment tool, it turns out you need a 21 spline tool to adjust the carb!!???!!!!

What's wrong with using a screwdriver, a common flat screwdriver that you probably have laying under the seat of your truck.
It irritates me that they change things like this with what appears to be only serving one purpose and that is to make a buck on selling another specialty tool.

SO . . . . . .get THIS!!!!

BIL bought a "new in the box" Husky 450 from Lowes.
And then asks me if I have a Husky carb adjustment tool.

I thought, yeah . . . . . I have a screwdriver. But after I google husky carb adjustment tool, it turns out you need a 21 spline tool to adjust the carb!!???!!!!

What's wrong with using a screwdriver, a common flat screwdriver that you probably have laying under the seat of your truck.
It irritates me that they change things like this with what appears to be only serving one purpose and that is to make a buck on selling another specialty tool.

Small two cycles have been using a consortium of weird shaped jet heads for a longtime. I have four styles at least....sucks. Squeal uses at least three styles. I had to buy a small hex one for my new weed eater. Yes, I bought a Squeal.....*shame*.

It's an effort by the manufacturers to keep the consumer out of carb tuning. Also a way to set the engine too lean to comply with emissions standards.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back