Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Robin. Appreciate the input. I'll see if I can get the serial number so we can see if it's an early or later model.

Scott

The serial number on the 70E with the Nordfeller attachment is 1514702. That appears to be pretty early; on the Swedish site, the earliest one is 1511251 and the latest one is 1607193.

Scott

NOS modules are very rare now...most owners just wind up trying another used/working one. From what Robin & Eric have said in here, the 70E started out its production run with the plastic fan and then went to metal later in production. But the flywheels are different (I hope I have that correct). Somebody was selling the plastic fan 3D printed.

Those clearing saws were beasts....especially the 621....imagine having that strapped to you all day...lol! But on the upside, they'd last forever unlike the crap they sell in the stores mostly. I just bought a Stihl commercail trimmer today with two piston rings...that's how they make the distinction between the pro models and the residential. I'm gonna put it to work here in a little bit. I can't believe I own a Squeal....the shame of it....lol!!

Kevin

Serial # 158500 and below has the plastic fan and SEM module under the flywheel. 158500 and above had the aluminum fan.....however that was not just a simple fan change.....the cyl is also different as the mag coil mounts to it the same as a 49Sp and others. There is nothing under the flywheel but unlike the 49SP the late 70E setup used a "black box" located in the carb box as a trigger.....I have heard from pretty reliable sources that these can be replaced with an Atom module if needed.

I was reading on another forum where a guy was saying the points plate, points, magneto coil, condenser and aluminum flywheel can all be moved from a 621 to a 70E with a little creative wiring. I can't deny or confirm this to be accurate......never thought of it....but the guy seemed to know his ****.... so perhaps.....it is something I am going to look further into when time allows......there have been rumors that they did produce a 70 without the E ....and if they in fact did, then it would be logical to assume they used an ign system they already had in production.

I don't know anybody that's matched the 'silver' on the silver tops that holds up in day-to-day use. It's the first part of the saw to really look ratty in use from the factory.

Looks like it all there, Scott.

Kevin

Nope and the original paint was thin as could be......they usually looked a little ratty right out of the box.....completely out of line with the really tough red powder coat type paint used on the rest of the saw!!!

NOS modules are very rare now...most owners just wind up trying another used/working one. From what Robin & Eric have said in here, the 70E started out its production run with the plastic fan and then went to metal later in production. But the flywheels are different (I hope I have that correct). Somebody was selling the plastic fan 3D printed.

Those clearing saws were beasts....especially the 621....imagine having that strapped to you all day...lol! But on the upside, they'd last forever unlike the crap they sell in the stores mostly. I just bought a Stihl commercail trimmer today with two piston rings...that's how they make the distinction between the pro models and the residential. I'm gonna put it to work here in a little bit. I can't believe I own a Squeal....the shame of it....lol!!

Kevin
I share your shame Kevin....LOL....I too own A Steel.....a 130R Kombi Motor 4 stroke.....bought it before I knew better.....it's always ran and worked good....Stihl wish it was Red though!!!

Serial # 158500 and below has the plastic fan and SEM module under the flywheel. 158500 and above had the aluminum fan.....however that was not just a simple fan change.....the cyl is also different as the mag coil mounts to it the same as a 49Sp and others. There is nothing under the flywheel but unlike the 49SP the late 70E setup used a "black box" located in the carb box as a trigger.....I have heard from pretty reliable sources that these can be replaced with an Atom module if needed.

I was reading on another forum where a guy was saying the points plate, points, magneto coil, condenser and aluminum flywheel can all be moved from a 621 to a 70E with a little creative wiring. I can't deny or confirm this to be accurate......never thought of it....but the guy seemed to know his ****.... so perhaps.....it is something I am going to look further into when time allows......there have been rumors that they did produce a 70 without the E ....and if they in fact did, then it would be logical to assume they used an ign system they already had in production.

That's interesting. I have a few 621 parts saws on the way...

Scott

That's a very cool idea and a boon to a lot of early 70E owners/collectros searching for modules. If you had a toasted 621 that needed a P&C, that would become very attractive to donate the ignition /flywheel to a 70E.

There was supposed to be just a 70 in the beginning....I always thought they never reached our shores until they became the 70E. I never knew anybody that had just a 70. Makes sense that they used the same points platform for awhile in the 70E. Also explain why the Early SEM's mounted under the flywheel like the old points plate set up. Wished I had the parts/saws/time to experiment!

Kevin

That's a very cool idea and a boon to a lot of early 70E owners/collectros searching for modules. If you had a toasted 621 that needed a P&C, that would become very attractive to donate the ignition /flywheel to a 70E.

There was supposed to be just a 70 in the beginning....I always thought they never reached our shores until they became the 70E. I never knew anybody that had just a 70. Makes sense that they used the same points platform for awhile in the 70E. Also explain why the Early SEM's mounted under the flywheel like the old points plate set up. Wished I had the parts/saws/time to experiment!

Kevin

I do have several parts saws of each ......and have NOS case sets for both the 621 and 70E......should be able to compare flywheel side cases to see if points plate mounting is possible on the 70E case......perhaps later this afternoon.

Kevin

The advertising I have seen for the "plain" 70 shows electronic ignition, so I don't think a points type 70 ever existed.

Isn't is possible though, there were some early point Euro models?

Kevin

Possible I suppose.......I'm going over to the shop right now and compare flywheel side case halves for the 621 and 70E and see if the ign swap even looks possible.....then move onto matching flywheel tapers and such.....BBL.....

My first 70e fragged the plastic flywheel fan the second time I fired it up, a lot of noise and a bit startling but didn't do any damage to anything else.
I tried a 621 flywheel on it, was a couple years ago can't remember the details, I seem to recall it fit up ok but was somewhat smaller in diameter.
I think a 52 may fit also but is smaller still.

I modified an 056 fan to work but that required some machining and it wasn't super easy.

jred70e fan mod.jpg

This has probably been sorted out before yrs ago. But definitively, it should be here in the J'red thread.

Fingers crossed on a decent outcome without machine work! The early 70E is too nice a saw to be benched with bad modules/plastic fans. There is also the possibility of removing the module's potting and rewiring a external capacitor like they've done with the Stihl SEM's.

Kevin

Well........that guy was blowing smoke....it is absolutely nearly impossible to install the 621 ign in a 70E. Probably not completely impossible if you are willing make up a new crankshaft as the 70E has no cam to operate the points....there are other issues as well, as far as I went in comparing and probably many more that I never got to. Took some pics of the case mounting differences but seem to be having a problem getting my 'puter to talk to my iphone...Grrrrrrrr.....but any way, unless you want to start inventing the wheel all over again it is certainly not a doable swap....to bad but if it was possible we would probably already know about it.

My first 70e fragged the plastic flywheel fan the second time I fired it up, a lot of noise and a bit startling but didn't do any damage to anything else.
I tried a 621 flywheel on it, was a couple years ago can't remember the details, I seem to recall it fit up ok but was somewhat smaller in diameter.
I think a 52 may fit also but is smaller still.

I modified an 056 fan to work but that required some machining and it wasn't super easy.

View attachment 584304
Hey Bill!! Yes a 52/52E flywheel steel center is the same as the 70E but the black plastic fan is way smaller......probably would work....as long as you didn't run it in hot weather and/or hard.

Latest posts

Back