Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might want to run Ultra at more like 50:1 on non milling motors....Ultra was designed as an very high detergent full synth oil to be used in their 4 stroke motors as they were having trouble with carbon build up on the valve stems. Perhaps more isn't better in this case. I run ultra at 50:1 in everything....ported saws...old saws... everything and haven't had any problems with any carbon buildup. Since we're talking carbon issues...here's a ditty that I learned from the techs at BCM Ducati in Laconia NH.....in the off season they run adult self help workshops for Ducati owners......the techs will always laugh when tearing down a street Duc....."Another HI test guy"......according the one of the foremost Ducati shops in 'Merica.....if you are running pump gas...run regular......hmmmm......kinda flies in the face of common perception I thought. Their explanation was this.....hi test gas has a multitude of additives that leave residue when burnt.....these adhere to the valve stems and cause rapid wear on these desmodronic valve systems......I have run regular gas in everything that will run on it since and noticed less carbon issues in most every motor I run, large and small. Always ran premium in all my bikes. Not any more.....If I think I need more octane I use VP or similar.....like leaded AV gas.....but my point is most folks don't think of fuel adding to carbon issues but it certainly is part of the equation.....worth thinking about anyway.

There is some wisdom in that...running @50:1 instead of 40:1. I've never had any carbon deposit problems, but streching out to 50:1 with Ultra is worth a try and will save some money in the long run. I think I'd still stay with 40:1 milling though.

Back in the day :cheers:, they told us to run regular because premium would run the saws in full production too hot. Now, non ethanol 'premium' here is only 90 octane and I'm not having any issues. But I sure as hell have seen some moisture causing degredation with ethanol in the small engine carbs. The 'experts' claim it's not hygroscopic but atmospheric water, pressure driven to replace the ethanol after it's burned gets in there.:wtf: Yeah, whatever...it amounts to the same thing...mositure sitting inside your carbs.

Kevin

Perhaps this is covered elsewhere, and perhaps not. I wonder if the old "mixing water into the E10 gas to separate out the ethanol is actually a better solution than high octane fuel?

I'll take this topic elsewhere now and allow the Jonsered forum to get back to it's true purpose. ;)

Very true, sir.

Which is exactly why I am going to take it to the generic 'Chainsaw ' forum. That way all brand-owners may take part. :)

That feller bladder had always been an interesting curio....I'm not sure in reality how much it adds to the sale. That being said, I know of collectors that have been looking for one forever.

So I guess the value of that is based on desire to own one, more than anything. The 70e is a great saw if you can score some NOS modules. Its other caveat is a disentigrating plastic flywheel fan.

Kevin

If it were me, I'd be on that like stink on a monkey. That is a super clean looking 70E with the chainbrake. That alone is a solid $250. $50 for the bladder pump seems more than fair, given their scarcity.

Does it come with the actual bladder?

So here's an interesting 70 for sale here in Europe. Has the air pump attachment that's used to inflate a bladder that you use instead of a felling wedge. At least that's what I think we have here. With shipping to me, this saw would set me back a tad more than $300. Smoking deal?

View attachment 583858 View attachment 583859 View attachment 583860 View attachment 583861

That sure is a clean, low hour 70E........interesting.....the 70Es that I have that are set up to accept the Nordfeller have a cast in place in the top cover to allow for the pipe coming out of the cyl....this has the flat style cover that has been relieved to allow the space needed for the bend in the tube......perhaps a ver early version before they changed the cyl and cover casting......either way it's still a very nice example......$300 delivered is probably a fair deal as just the saw in that condition with the valve would easily bring $3-400.00 on ebay......and very likely way more with the valve.

Here's one that's not quite as nice...LOL!! But if I were in the market, I would consider this a pretty good deal.....of course I have the few bits it needs, but the overall condition of this saw looks to be pretty good. An hour or two cleaning, a new or unstuck recoil spring, air filter and top cover, carb kit and fuel line an I believe this would make a very worthy example for cheap...this saw has not been used as much as it has sat around.....something Grampa would have had under the bench to clean up the yard under Grandmas directic supervision.......me thinks..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jonsereds-4...548584?hash=item41c72de768:g:XvAAAOSwblZZOHim

Here are a couple pics of what I was talking about the 70E top covers.......this is one of my 70Es......note the raised area ahead of the spark plug.....and the extra holes in the recoil cover to bolt the valve to.....this 70E was set up from the factory for the Nordfeller attachment but never had one.

49 SP and 70E Build 121.jpg 49 SP and 70E Build 122.jpg 49 SP and 70E Build 124.jpg

That feller bladder had always been an interesting curio....I'm not sure in reality how much it adds to the sale. That being said, I know of collectors that have been looking for one forever.

So I guess the value of that is based on desire to own one, more than anything. The 70e is a great saw if you can score some NOS modules. Its other caveat is a disentigrating plastic flywheel fan.

Kevin

Kevin -

Ok, I'm not as familiar with the later model Jonsereds; all of mine are silvertops...

Is there a metal replacement for the fan available? How difficult are the NOS modules to find?

If it were me, I'd be on that like stink on a monkey. That is a super clean looking 70E with the chainbrake. That alone is a solid $250. $50 for the bladder pump seems more than fair, given their scarcity.

Does it come with the actual bladder?

Great. Just what I DID NOT want to hear!!! Just kidding...well, sort of... I've got deals in the works more XF's along with a few real neat non-Jonsered deals (including one non-piston engine and one that doesn't run on gasoline...) that are depleting my money tree.

I don't think the seller has the bladder, but I'm checking.

Thanks

Scott

That sure is a clean, low hour 70E........interesting.....the 70Es that I have that are set up to accept the Nordfeller have a cast in place in the top cover to allow for the pipe coming out of the cyl....this has the flat style cover that has been relieved to allow the space needed for the bend in the tube......perhaps a ver early version before they changed the cyl and cover casting......either way it's still a very nice example......$300 delivered is probably a fair deal as just the saw in that condition with the valve would easily bring $3-400.00 on ebay......and very likely way more with the valve.

Thanks, Robin. Appreciate the input. I'll see if I can get the serial number so we can see if it's an early or later model.

Scott

Here are a couple pics of what I was talking about the 70E top covers.......this is one of my 70Es......note the raised area ahead of the spark plug.....and the extra holes in the recoil cover to bolt the valve to.....this 70E was set up from the factory for the Nordfeller attachment but never had one.

Man, she sure is purty! Have to wipe the drool off the keyboard...

View attachment 583889 View attachment 583890 View attachment 583891
That explains the factory holes in the top of the starter covers I've seen an a few.

Kevin -

Ok, I'm not as familiar with the later model Jonsereds; all of mine are silvertops...

Is there a metal replacement for the fan available? How difficult are the NOS modules to find?

NOS modules are very rare now...most owners just wind up trying another used/working one. From what Robin & Eric have said in here, the 70E started out its production run with the plastic fan and then went to metal later in production. But the flywheels are different (I hope I have that correct). Somebody was selling the plastic fan 3D printed.

Those clearing saws were beasts....especially the 621....imagine having that strapped to you all day...lol! But on the upside, they'd last forever unlike the crap they sell in the stores mostly. I just bought a Stihl commercail trimmer today with two piston rings...that's how they make the distinction between the pro models and the residential. I'm gonna put it to work here in a little bit. I can't believe I own a Squeal....the shame of it....lol!!

Kevin

Here's one that's not quite as nice...LOL!! But if I were in the market, I would consider this a pretty good deal.....of course I have the few bits it needs, but the overall condition of this saw looks to be pretty good. An hour or two cleaning, a new or unstuck recoil spring, air filter and top cover, carb kit and fuel line an I believe this would make a very worthy example for cheap...this saw has not been used as much as it has sat around.....something Grampa would have had under the bench to clean up the yard under Grandmas directic supervision.......me thinks..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jonsereds-4...548584?hash=item41c72de768:g:XvAAAOSwblZZOHim

Agree...if you already had the parts that are missing, this could be a notable find these days. Especially with free shipping.....you hardly ever see that in saws of this price range.

Kevin

Those clearing saws were beasts....especially the 621....imagine having that strapped to you all day...lol! But on the upside, they'd last forever unlike the crap they sell in the stores mostly. I just bought a Stihl commercail trimmer today with two piston rings...that's how they make the distinction between the pro models and the residential. I'm gonna put it to work here in a little bit. I can't believe I own a Squeal....the shame of it....lol!!

Mrs. Heffalump absolutely adores my FS550. I wish I could get my hands on a RS-621.

Back