lets c your firewood storage shed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's pretty much how it is at the shop. At home I refuse to have to fight with green wood so I keep at least a year ahead.

Call we crazy if you will, but I have cut and sold over 100 cords this year aleady and I never have more than 30 sticks of wood at any one time, even though Im feeding two stoves. Its only minus 8F here right now.

View attachment 495414 1015101401.jpg IMG_2787.jpg 1015101401.jpgIMG_2799.jpg IMG_2785 (2).jpg
Built this ten years ago and love it. 32'w x 24'd. Obviously if done over I would make some changes, but over all it works well and was actually fairly inexpensive. Dirt floor, a roof, open on three sides, except for 8' you see on the front and the same on the back. This area is for hand tools that hang on the wall, and seasonal stuff, garden hoses, quad plow, etc. The dirt floor works well for setting 4" x 4"'s at the end of firewood rows, and 2" x 4"'s cleated together for removable bases, all easily moved and changed as needed. I hate walking on pallets for stacking and accessing firewood. The far side, an 8' bay, has a raised wood floor, sections of salvaged wide board fencing that also makes a nice deck area for wood. However, with the deck the rows are from front to back, and really should be side to side for using/refilling. As it is I move a cord or so to keep from burying it before refilling in the spring. There are critters of course, so I do not store things with engines in there for any period of time. And no doors, which at times I wish it had, for 'out of sight out of mind' 'visitors'. Mostly it does everything it needs too. If it were longer (couldn't because of property line set backs behind, the driveway, and some nice trees) then it could have been a drive through. And I would make it taller to get the truck and forklift in, but then again, it would have to be much larger for multipurpose. That's another project I guess, someday. Anyway, this holds enough for us for three years which is perfect. Some rows are 4' high, others 6', in part due to the raised wood deck area and it is built on a slight slope.
In the image above, the seasoned wood on the outside left was moved to the row in the front. Been filling that front corner, and have less than two rows to go. A wheel barrow ramp can be seen. That row will be left open to access the back corner next fall as the longer center rows, left of the boat, are all added this spring. Not ideal, but it works. Wood seasons very well and is not buryed under snow. We added some lighting last year, a nice plus on winter evenings. 2" x 12"s were resawn on a bandsaw for the small amount of now weathered looking vertical siding. It is what it is, a wood shed.
IMG_2799.jpg

Pics of my woodshed. 21' wide, 10' depth, about 7' at the lowest end. The first two bays hold 6 cords, while the third bay holds 1 1/2 cord. I also store wood in my pole barn as well, but I built the woodshed.

IMG_20151023_154211725_HDR%20Large_zpspk6pichv.jpg

IMG_20151219_144526632_HDR%20Large_zpsmxjyltk2.jpg

Very nice! How long did it take you to build it?
If your asking about our shed, I really don't remember, but not so long. My two sons and a friend helped with the rafters and roof sheathing, and I shingled it, to match the house. It started as two lean-to sheds facing each other so I could alternate years, and also drive through. Put the poles in, then the joist beams. Got to thinking how stupid that was and decided to connect them. They weren't really square and plumb to each other, close but..., and at the time, as I said, it wasn't the plan. In the end it worked good and I'm very happy with it. Years ago (like 25) I took a boat building class and we, five of us plus the instructor, built a small 15' semi dory. He began the class by saying we were not building a work of art, rather something to be used and enjoyed. And here's the kicker. He went on to say, "There are no mistakes, your just building in character." Then we began to learn lofting and building for eight Saturdays. Two weeks after that, we all went for a row. Mike had finished painting it beautiful bright Caribbean colors and varnished the oars and wine glass shaped transom. The boat in the shed is not a dory, it is a Norwegian Faering. Anyway, I always smile when I think of Mike saying, "There are no mistakes, you are just building in character."

Did not coat them. Used ground treated 4" x 6". Originally did not set them on anything either as it was going to be two small lean-to's. After two years I noticed some settling. Bought a couple 4" x 4" screw jacks, and one by one leveled the four corners to each other by digging out the post and pouring sack-crete around and below each post. I bought cement to mix with the sack-crete as well for a stronger mix. Then did the same for all the posts. Our ground is very sandy and our wells static drawdown is at 44'.

Did not coat them. Used ground treated 4" x 6". Originally did not set them on anything either as it was going to be two small lean-to's. After two years I noticed some settling. Bought a couple 4" x 4" screw jacks, and one by one leveled the four corners to each other by digging out the post and pouring sack-crete around and below each post. I bought cement to mix with the sack-crete as well for a stronger mix. Then did the same for all the posts. Our ground is very sandy and our wells static drawdown is at 44'.
I was asking LazyBFarm about the posts used on his wood shed. I will check yours out.
Erik B.

Very nice. What's your wood pile consist of?

If you're asking me: A mixture of free hackberry (from my BIL) and some dead standing shagbark hickory. the outer two stacks on the left bay, I put a mixture of poplar and sassafrass; they'll dry in a year vs. several years for the hackberry and hickory.

thanks,

@TheLazyBFarm What did you use to coat the bottom of your posts?

Erik, I put the 4x4's in a five gallon bucket with used motor oil for about 6 months. Just before I started working on the shed, the bucket broke (or got knocked over) and the oil went everywhere, including down the sides of some of the 4x4s.

In addition, just before setting them, I coated the bottoms with that black plastic roofing cement/paste.

Thanks,

Erik, I put the 4x4's in a five gallon bucket with used motor oil for about 6 months. Just before I started working on the shed, the bucket broke (or got knocked over) and the oil went everywhere, including down the sides of some of the 4x4s.

In addition, just before setting them, I coated the bottoms with that black plastic roofing cement/paste.

Thanks,
How long have those posts been in the ground and why did you believe it needed something extra instead of going with just treated posts?

001.JPG 014.JPG 004.JPG 001.JPG al's phone 002.jpg al's phone 011.jpg I have two sheds 10x10 they hold about 2.5 cords each. 5 removable racks in each one. The racks are 18" off the ground and as i remove them they hang on the back of the shed. I had my helper mortise and tenon the timber and find and cut wood pegs for the joints.

How long have those posts been in the ground and why did you believe it needed something extra instead of going with just treated posts?

Erik, they are pressured treated 4x4's. Belt, suspenders, rope around the waist.

All four posts are supported by the pyramid shaped concrete support pads, some of them are higher than others. Now that the dirt has settled, I'll be cleaning out the posts and removing the dirt from the ones that are covered.

Thanks,

Latest posts

Back