lets c your firewood storage shed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8' wide 36' long. Cement floor. I hang a tarp on the far side in the winter to keep the snow out. The kindling wood is on the far right. Mostly red oak with a little white oak mixed in.

photo14%200101d%20wood%20done.jpg

Looks sweet, how much kindling do you go through in a winter? I am new to this and while I have plenty of "wood" I am weak in the kindling department.....time to fix that :)

8' wide 36' long. Cement floor. I hang a tarp on the far side in the winter to keep the snow out. The kindling wood is on the far right. Mostly red oak with a little white oak mixed in.

photo14%200101d%20wood%20done.jpg

spent all summer building mine.
27' wide x30' long clear span, 4 legs, all steel.
just painted the frame, now to get those 9 sheets of 30' steel up there this weekend.
4 pitch, angled leanto style
8'6" low side for machine clearance, 11'3" at high legs, allows 1 ton to dump on the cement at the legs. more clearance at top, about 6' forward of legs or so. think its 13'6" at front brow.
total cost was $950, until i spent 130 on screws!!!! so $1080 plus a few bucks...(6 cans rubberized undercoat, 1 gal rust oleum) $25 anchor bolts. lets call it $1200.
cement was existing. all framework made from 18" bar joists bought used. took some bracing and random steel, but im happy with its strength now.

wish mine was full and stacked like kens^^
mine has 6 cord in it, some stacked, some not ive had to work around.
also mine has a 6' estension by 8' that covers the boiler door, yet allows smoke to roll out.
dont want to get wet loading the boiler dontcha know
also keeps sparks/ashes from raining down on the wood pile. that was rather hairy last winter with a massive stack of tinder next to the boiler

IMG_3706.jpg IMG_3707.jpg IMG_3710.jpg
This years most seasoned wood is in the back corner on the left, and the two shorter rows on the far right. It will not be long before we will see how that works out. Never had it this full before. Just guessing, ten plus cord. 32'w. x 24'd.
Edit: Looking back at others posts and found I had already posted (#26) as I was filling it up.
IMG_2787.jpg

Looks good crane!
Makes my back hurt just looking at it however. All that wheelbarowing. Yikes!
I plan to stack between legs on one side as a outside wall, and against the corn crib on the other side.
I have these nice metal cages i can move with a machine, hold about a half cord dbl stacked, problem is i only have 6, need about 24!!!
Solve one problem, another arises.
Ive seen old 275s cut in half work rather well as racks. Have a 1000gal tank i plan to cut up too. Sawmill uses em as sticker racks.

wish mine was full and stacked like kens^^
mine has 6 cord in it, some stacked, some not ive had to work around.
also mine has a 6' estension by 8' that covers the boiler door, yet allows smoke to roll out.
dont want to get wet loading the boiler dontcha know
also keeps sparks/ashes from raining down on the wood pile. that was rather hairy last winter with a massive stack of tinder next to the boiler
thats not mine, that is JRClen's shiiit I wish mine looked like that :) I will gt photos up after this week maybe :)

Looks good crane!
Makes my back hurt just looking at it however. All that wheelbarowing. Yikes!
I plan to stack between legs on one side as a outside wall, and against the corn crib on the other side.
I have these nice metal cages i can move with a machine, hold about a half cord dbl stacked, problem is i only have 6, need about 24!!!
Solve one problem, another arises.
Ive seen old 275s cut in half work rather well as racks. Have a 1000gal tank i plan to cut up too. Sawmill uses em as sticker racks.
@Timbercreek Do you have any pics of your wood shed?

Is it bad that I don't cover my wood?
Not at all.
It is just a matter of what you want to put up with to get at the firewood come winter. I got tired of snow covered wood froze together in clumps, and more so stumbling on empty, frozen down snow covered pallets trying to get at more wood. Tarps were almost as bad, buried in snow and ice.
A lot of wood sheds are multipurpose for small equipment and such. A rather remarkable woman I know lives a rustic life. She built her own log cabin from trees on the land, and a nice wood shed/tool shed/outhouse all in one.

Is it bad that I don't cover my wood?
I think uncovered wood drys faster than wood stacked in a shed. I have enough dry wood in my shed right now to last me thru this winter. I have some stacked beside the shed, probably half a winters worth and the rest of my wood is just in a pile outside the shed. My stacks outside the shed aint covered and seem to be drying very well. My pile of wood might be drying even faster than the stacked wood. I believe the reason for that might be that I take the tractor and fel and sort of tun the pile every once in a while. I dont schedule a time to roll the piles, just whenever I happen to be close with the tractor and it takes about 5 min to do it. The only reason I even stack wood under the shed is because I can get it out when its pouring rain or after a big snow and not have to fool with wet wood. I used to stress about getting all my wood under the shed, but after a year of not being able to do things, I have found its not as important as I once thought it was.

Man I hemmed and hawed about building something to cover my wood. Even whipped up a makeshift shed with emt conduit and a couple tarps. Toyed with building a free standing lean too.

Once I got over my OCD I settled on single row stacks and cover the tops with 40mil HDPE liner cut just a few inches wider than the stack. No cost. No fuss.

sent from a field

Everybody has their own opinions about what works best for them, and every suggestion is just that, and opinion. Unless one chooses to make piles and turn them occassionaly, I think Casey has the right ideal. Wood stacked in sheds, even if the stacks are seperated between rows,just isnt going to dry like a long single stack stuck out by itself where air flow and sunlite isnt limited by being inside a shed. I dont know that I would even cover the top with a tarp until it came time to use the wood. Thats just my opinion, doesnt mean I am right, but thats what I believe. I like my shed but I dont usually stack my wood under it until the wood is at least somewhat seasoned. When I do stack under the shed, I pack the shed tight and dont leave air space between the stacks. Thing is, the wood I stack in the shed has usually laid around in log lengths for a season before being split and then might lay another season before going into the shed, where it will stay until when its needed. When I use the wood, I take a weeks worth inside the basement and stack it beside the stove where the stoves heat drys it even more.

18x21x6ft sides. Can stack to 7ft high. Seems to get good air circulation, but keeps the rain off. I am keeping a lane open in the center just wide enough for my ATV and trailer for drive thru unloading. This will be the first winter's run.

I have racks out back at the house for about 18-20 cords. I dumped a load off at the house in the side driveway about 5 months ago. It's still sitting there. Last thing I feel like doing when I get home from cutting and stacking wood all day is stacking more wood!

20161008_163906.jpg 20161008_163925.jpg 20161008_163945.jpg Holds about 5 cord. Little on the empty side, busy time of the year. The center section my ex father inlaw build to store his splitter in, then he built the front half and turned it into a wood shed. The upper loft holds all the maple sap pals for syrup season. And I built the little lean to on the back to keep some stuff dry. All free from slab wood and left overs.

Back