log lift build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hupte

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I decided I needed a log lift. I "likely" have all the steel and the hydraulic valve to build it. just might have to buy a cylinder. not a big deal. looking for a used one from some friends that owe me favors... anyways built it outta what I had layin around. some pipe I scrounged. I tacked to to the table to keep it from moving as I started welding the inner braces.
DSCN0808_zpsevsqe7fv.jpg
DSCN0809_zpsprvvcjlk.jpg

here it is kinda mocked in place more pics to come.
DSCN0810_zpsoivelz7n.jpg

I'm thinking about making the same thing but kind'a worried about the design of the splitter and the wheels being in the way. Like you, I'd need a longer table to go over the wheels. It will be interesting to see how you make yours. Thanks for posting.
John

I built the hinge for the lift and welded it on today. also put a handle on the pin. and welded the lift solid today.
DSCN0818_zpsexamjxzn.jpg
DSCN0819_zpsuvb6fgwz.jpg

this diamond plate is thin but it was free so its getting used. it will look tough for a while, then it will look abused. lol. the steel cutting circular saw makes quick work of the cuts.
DSCN0817_zpsnoyapt2q.jpg

I decided I needed a log lift. I "likely" have all the steel and the hydraulic valve to build it. just might have to buy a cylinder. not a big deal. looking for a used one from some friends that owe me favors... anyways built it outta what I had layin around. some pipe I scrounged. I tacked to to the table to keep it from moving as I started welding the inner braces.
DSCN0808_zpsevsqe7fv.jpg
DSCN0809_zpsprvvcjlk.jpg

here it is kinda mocked in place more pics to come.
DSCN0810_zpsoivelz7n.jpg
I why on earth would you need a log lift when your splitter will split horizontal and verticle. Your gonna ruin that wonderful splitter with some cobbled together contraption. Was that machine designed/ engineered for a log lift? You might wanna rethink it over before you cut up all your old fence posts and weld them to the side of that machine.

I why on earth would you need a log lift when your splitter will split horizontal and verticle. Your gonna ruin that wonderful splitter with some cobbled together contraption. Was that machine designed/ engineered for a log lift? You might wanna rethink it over before you cut up all your old fence posts and weld them to the side of that machine.
thanks for the support!!! :hi: the steel I'm using is actually pipe, not fence posts. and I needed to build a table, and the lift doubles as a table. plus running it horizontal is much easier on my back and knees. my thinking is this= I already have most of the materials to build it, why wear my body out working on my knees and/or bent over all day? plus its a fun project that I enjoy. it will also be easily removable. here is a couple other builds of mine.

I learned yesterday after doing some research, (thanks to AS) that I need a power beyond valve. I had never heard of that before. so I asked around with some friends and low and behold. someone had this cyl, and power beyond capable valve. they were both mine for the low price of $40 for the pair. that means the total of this build, SO FAR, is= in stock shop supplies, a few favors, and $40. I'm sure the cost will go up somewhere along the lines.
DSCN0825_zpsd4zsipzx.jpg

I had this 1 inch plate laying around, I needed it roughly 4x4" but all I had was 2x8. took a lil extra time but I'll make it work.
DSCN0824_zpsph1rm8gp.jpg

here is the brace for the lift cyl mount. I wanted it centered but the cyl is bigger than I originally planned. oh well a minor set back.
DSCN0823_zps1kotjdq5.jpg

here is the bracket mounted to the splitter for the cyl mount. its not done yet.
DSCN0822_zpsdxcyrsyr.jpg
DSCN0821_zpskfqy7cmd.jpg

below is the other cyl end mount if I was really awesome with a plasma cutter I wouldn't need to weld in the bushing to have a nice tight fit. lol.
DSCN0820_zps4ukhhovo.jpg

Just my 2 cents here - you have way too much angle on your rig, your splitter is going to want to roll over lifting a big chunk - A steeper lift , not as overhung from the splitter would be easier to step around too. If I have some pics of mine I'll get them on here later.

A few old pictures from just after I finished this, the primers still wet. With a 2" dia. 8" stroke cylinder, this will put a 2' dia 2ft long oak chunk right up where you want it. I've since added a grate to the front too, the most labor saving part ever. DCP01259.jpg You can use the splitter from either side, stand on the lift if thats handier or use it as a table for not yet split ones. DCP01262.jpgSmaller chunks, you have to feather the valve, as the 11 gpm pump will launch one right over the other side. Learned that quick. lift2.jpg

I have the 35 T and the wheels are in the way for a lift just like hupte. I was thinking about adding plates and moving my axles forward so I have more room for a shorter lift and still allow me to change from horizontal and vertical. I'd need a support under the beam because the center of gravity would be moved forward but a lift would be nice to have at times..

I agree, why would you ruin a factory built splitter to do something it wasn't made to do? A team of Engineers spent days and days designing it to do half a job and you go and modify it. What about OSHA, are you going to get them to go over it and make sure it's still safe and the modifications you are doing are not going to make it unsafe? I suppose just because you bought and paid for it you assume you can just do whatever you want with it? Speeco makes a perfectly fine product there is no need to change anything on it. You are the kind of guy that likely sharpens his axe when it gets dull too?
IMG-20130904-00501.jpg
IMG-20121212-01603.jpg IMG-20121212-01600.jpg

Buddy of mine did a gantry crane with a hydraulic winch. Pretty sweet, can drag big pieces over to it, rip stuck pieces off the wedge, dangle the other half of a big split off the side till your ready for it, etc. Granted its a american, little bit bigger and heavier to hold still.

And hupte, you dont need a power beyond valve, unless you want to run both functions at once.
Without a powerbeyond valve, the upstream valve takes priority, so the lift would get plumbed in after the split valve and ud be good.
I made a hydraulic conveyor, and it just plugs into quick connects on my american. Motor runs, conveyor runs. Cylinder action barely even slows it.

Buddy of mine did a gantry crane with a hydraulic winch. Pretty sweet, can drag big pieces over to it, rip stuck pieces off the wedge, dangle the other half of a big split off the side till your ready for it, etc. Granted its a american, little bit bigger and heavier to hold still.

And hupte, you dont need a power beyond valve, unless you want to run both functions at once.
Without a powerbeyond valve, the upstream valve takes priority, so the lift would get plumbed in after the split valve and ud be good.
I made a hydraulic conveyor, and it just plugs into quick connects on my american. Motor runs, conveyor runs. Cylinder action barely even slows it.
I read this on cross' website about the need for a power beyond valve.
This option provides for proper hookup of an additional valve downstream from another valve. The power beyond sleeve prevents subjecting the exhaust or return passages and spool seals of the control valve to back pressure.
http://www.crossmfg.com/parts/power-beyond-option
so in laymans terms when you bottom out the cylinder that is plumbed into the 2nd valve it puts all the hyd pressure on the seals of the #1 valve and it can damage the #1 valve. since yours is running a conveyor you should never have this problem. here is a vid I found.

I agree, why would you ruin a factory built splitter to do something it wasn't made to do? A team of Engineers spent days and days designing it to do half a job and you go and modify it. What about OSHA, are you going to get them to go over it and make sure it's still safe and the modifications you are doing are not going to make it unsafe? I suppose just because you bought and paid for it you assume you can just do whatever you want with it? Speeco makes a perfectly fine product there is no need to change anything on it. You are the kind of guy that likely sharpens his axe when it gets dull too?
View attachment 485358
View attachment 485359 View attachment 485360
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Latest posts

Back