Long term experience with Poulan Pro 5020?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A piece of the outer rim of the plastic hub broke away and allowed the spring to jump out of the hole in the hub.
It bent the spring, and it was impossible to bend back into useable shape.
I have older McCullochs, Jonsereds, Stihles that have even bigger motors and they do not needs such foolishness to work well.
The only advantage I see, is that the spring takes up some shock, and allows the use of a smaller diameter (weaker) pull cord.
If I could replace the hub and spring and spool with a one piece spool from an older Poulan I would do it in a minute.
TL

Yeah I hear you. Its a homeowner saw, lots of homeowners like stuff like that ez start or whatever you call it. The low end Stihls and others come with it to now days. Your saw has a 2 year warranty, did you use it?

The 3400 I spoke of earlier is spending it's day in the shop with a broken piston. I tore it down today and the piston is junk but it didn't seem to hurt the cylinder. Hardest part is cleaning up all the dirt and grease in the saw...

I don't know what this has to do with anything... .

I replied earlier in the post that I preferred the older Poulans to the newer ones, just an update, ignore if you wish..

Yeah I seen that completely out of the blue irrelevant to this thread post. Go have fun rebuilding your 40 year old saw that is completely the opposite of the saw this thread is about.

My latest update....just blew the damn thing up. I think it was my fault. This spring I got maintenance parts. New clutch, sprocket, spark arrester, and AV strap. I got everything done except the AV strap. Well, the strap pulled off and the linkage pushed the throttle past where it normally stops. I mix my fuel a little on the oily side so there was some carbon that broke loose from the exhaust port and gouged the piston, jug, and busted the ring. I had it from spring of 2012 and cut probably 350 full cords of firewood myself as well as loaning it to a friend who did probably 75-100 cords. I used it to take down several trees for neighbors after a bad storm came through. All in all I love this saw and plan on buying another tomorrow.

My latest update....just blew the damn thing up. I think it was my fault. This spring I got maintenance parts. New clutch, sprocket, spark arrester, and AV strap. I got everything done except the AV strap. Well, the strap pulled off and the linkage pushed the throttle past where it normally stops. I mix my fuel a little on the oily side so there was some carbon that broke loose from the exhaust port and gouged the piston, jug, and busted the ring. I had it from spring of 2012 and cut probably 350 full cords of firewood myself as well as loaning it to a friend who did probably 75-100 cords. I used it to take down several trees for neighbors after a bad storm came through. All in all I love this saw and plan on buying another tomorrow.
Glad you had good luck with it.

You got more than your moneys worth out of it!! As philbert said look for a reconditioned one. If you get the newest version the anti vib is a little stiffer but minus the plastic changes and stiffer anti vib it's the same saw.

Had mine for some years now, it's been very reliable and is currently clearing a poison ivy infested corner of my property. Very nice saw.
I have a 16" Forester bar and semi-chisel Forester chains for it. Last well enough and easy to keep sharp.

IMG_20190828_152643_065.jpg

Back