Longest Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Disston DA211 has a 60" bar on it with about 56"s useable. Would love to find a 8ft bar and 3/4" chain like looking for a needle in a hay stack.

16' with twin 84s. Custom Cannon bar.

The story is some place and i don't want to type it again(makes my knuckles sore). Bro in law now has the bar. Just got it a few weeks ago from the old bosses wife after he passed. If I can remember I will try and get a photo next time we are down to his place.

Owl
eeeeYessss!!! Just the excuse I need for the wife, now I can get a 2nd 084!:biggrinbounce2:

ray benson found the post that has the story. It was 18' not 16' I stand corrected. It seems to take two men and a small boy just to lift the bar, it's something like 16" in the middle, just holding the chain you know you are in for a work out. I just got off the phone with my BIL, I called to talk to him about that job. He remembers just as much as I do. I thought he had the bar this whole time, but when I saw it in his shop he had just got it painted for the boss. One thing that still stands neither of us would want to do that job again in the same circumstances. That said just to drop that monster without a care in the world we would both do it again in a heart beat. We also got to talking about the job when we had to have a cat dig out beds for the spruce we were cutting so they wouldn't get busted up. That job 50" was a minimum. I believe that wood to Germany. Came from the same area on the coast where they supposedly cut some specific spruce to be used in the space program, the shuttle or a nose cone or something.

Thanks for bringing this up again. I haven't thought about that for a while. This thread and talking to my BIL brought back lots O memories. Some I haven't thought of for a numbers of years. My Mrs, and his even remember being on some of the strips with us from time to time, aswell as most of the other strange or unique one or two tree jobs.

For those that don't have or haven't handled a large bar for work other than milling, it's not all it's cracked up to be. The fun lasts about as long as it takes to unload that thing out of the truck and get it put together. The longest I enjoy using for a day would max out at about 36". After that the get to be a pain in many ways.

Owl

The longest bar I've ever heard of was a 22' bar fitted for two Titan Blue Streaks. The bar was so long and heavy it sagged bad in the middle and threw chains easy.

I would think it would sag a great deal. My 50-60" bars sag plenty

Bill

Back