Looking for a chainsaw recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm newer to them myself, but chose the used route to get the most bang for the buck. Then again I also had a sub $200 budget, and wasn't interested in a Poulan from wally world. I just skipped over anything that wasn't in working condition, and researched the model whenever i found something that interested me. The fact that almost every time i looked up a saw i found helpful posts here is why I signed up.

My 2 cents....look on craig's list, pawn shops and other selling sights. Be patient. Spend the first $60 of that $400 on a compression tester (I'v had great luck with Craftsman) and look for a used $350 saw with good compression that is usable when bought. The day I joined this forum I posted a very similar post and the help and information I received from AS was great.

I would look for a 50cc Pro grade saw in Stihl, Husky, Jonsered, or Dolmar. Lean toward the one with the best dealer support for your area.

FYI I ended up buying a Stihl 261 modded by Brad (no port) for way outside of my price range. Good luck out there. Remember, once you buy one...your going to want another...

Well I found a dealer that sells Echo, Husq, and Dolmar about 30 miles away. Looks like they may only have 1 Dolmar, PS-5105, but they look to have a good mix of Echo, Husq, a few pro Husq, and the Dolmar to compare at least. Then not too far from there is a dealer that sells Husq, Echo, and Stihl. Looks like I will have to make a trip out of it and see them all.

I have to say, Dolmar doesn't make it easy to find someone that sells their saws. Their site doesn't differentiate between places that service and places that sell. Makes it really hard to find somewhere to look at them.

If going to a dealer make sure to look at a 545. A little over your budget but worth it. I was going to get one but bought a zero turn mower and got a 550 thrown in.

Philbert, man you packed a lot of good advice in there for the OP or anyone else who is just starting out.

Wish I could come to your GTG, but it's a bit of a drive from NC!

I have a dolmar 5105 it is a very smooth running saw to operate, with good power, I did have to replace the coil once but not a big deal, you could have it happen to any saw you buy ( never owned a echo but 5 year warranty I think and might be lifetime on ignition system) other then that I like the 5105

Wish I could come to your GTG, but it's a bit of a drive from NC!
It's the Dodgegeeks GTG (might be their anniversary or something?)!

But I hear you - There are a lot of GTG's around the country that I wish I could attend. Could almost spend a summer in an RV going coast-to-coast and border-to-border (hmmmm, maybe I can get a grant . . . .?)

Philbert

I'd look into a good used saw. I found a 036 pro on cl and its been a good saw. Good all around saw. I'd also look into a ms 261/026 That's my next purchase to round out the fleet.

Back