McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php
is this a standard muff on this 800? this will work again but it's missing the clutch muff cover.

Last edited:
i only have the short covers. i think this takes the full cover. this one was missing the cover.

I think I might have an intact one, might not have all the brake parts.

Aaron, I have the "skid plate", front handle and probably the A?V parts. I'm sure to have the flywheel cover & starter as well.
Are you going to paint?

how much of the part's will swap between the 80/81 to the 800/850's. i have a box of nos av's if you need.

A fair amount of the basic stuff should, Ron or Mark would know bettter.

Annie and I had lunch at the ocean today, on the way home I stopped at a yard sale and bought a pretty nice PM610 for 7 bucks, it started and ran just fine. We get home, the tribesman nextdoor was working up a sweat trying to get a couple crappy little stihls to work. He had a big pile of old dry dock to cut for firewood, big heavy beams of ancient DF and some sort of Oak.
I handed him the 610, wished him good luck and listened to it cut for hours.

how much of the part's will swap between the 80/81 to the 800/850's. i have a box of nos av's if you need.

Everything interchanges between the SP81 and old style PM850.

Everything SP81 and PM800 except DSP valve (I see you have a later PM800 with a DSP valve), crank, cylinder, flywheel, and rear shroud (recoil cover, crank and flywheel as a unit will interchange in a pinch at least old to new; probably new to old as well but I don't know for sure). The recoil covers and shafts are different due to the flywheel and muffler and the bottom braces have the AV bumpers in a different location but all of these can be made to work. If you put an old style muffler on an 800, 805, DE80, 8200 or new style 850, you should make a lower shroud to direct the air flow as these saws use the top of the muffler for this purpose. AF covers and clutch covers are different but interchange without modification.

SP80s have a different clutch set up; I don't know about the crank. Also some manual oilers may have different linkages. I believe Mark can fill in the details on the SP80.

Ron

CAM00197_zps28b058d2.jpg

CAM00198_zps4c341179.jpg

CAM00202_zps4f184aac.jpg

Had some crunched up paper and plastic stuffed on top, but other than that this is how I found it when I opened the box. Luckily, I din't pay NOS Twin Cyl McCulloch Fantasticness (is that a word?) money for it. Condition doesn't appear any worse than what I saw in the pics (and how it was described) before it was shipped. Nothing broken. No way to tell if anything got scuffed (LOL).

This will be built into a runner to present to a certain 'Mostly Retired' logger at a future GTG. Have yet to pull the muffler and carb and look at the P/C. Hoping for the best, but I'm into it cheap enough that a replacement piston wouldn't put things too far out of line. If the jug is wasted, then it'll sting a bit but still won't derail the project...

CAM00204_zps5dd4771d.jpg

CAM00208_zpsbd76319e.jpg

CAM00209_zps6dda217e.jpg

Noticed that this saw has a Tillotson HS on it. First one I've seen on an 82cc Mac. The IPL (for a 13 prefix 600439D saw) does show the HS111 as one of the carbs used. Looks to need new AV buffers, a handlebar, a bottom plate, a flywheel cover/starter assembly (I have a 10-series spare that may work with some cleanup), muffler cover, chainbrake lever/pivot bolt/spring, and a cylinder shield. Not sure what else yet. Clutch cover may possibly have a 'repair' in the area of the tensioner screw (as they often do)......or it may just be really damn dirty. Will dig into and clean it soon. This one's gonna take some soking to clean up.

Yeah, keep us posted on the parts needed. I may have a few extra as well.

Hey Aaron, that saw has the SP81E two piece ignition. Does that make it a very early PM850 or a SP81E?

I've had PM850's with points and electronic ignition. Did they do a third type also?

The Automatic oiler on my mac 10-10 I bought doesnt work. Are there any common problems with them? The manual oiler on it works fine.

Aaron make a list of what you need and i'll send it out mon. since it's going to such an old and distinguished member:hmm3grin2orange:

Same here. You need a good full wrap for that? I have a few good spare parts, the bits that are always needed.

Yeah, keep us posted on the parts needed. I may have a few extra as well.

Thanks a million guys. This whole weekend is 'planned' for me by the family. I won't be able to get into that PM850 this weekend unless I'm able to sneak in a few hours late at night after everybody hits the hay (I'm a night owl because of work). I'll try my damndest to at least get out there long enough to pull the carb and muffler so I can inspect the P/C.

I know already that I'll need:

-Fuel line.

-Handlebar and mounting hardware.

-Gas cap.

-All AV buffers (top front, top bumper, top rear, rear handle, bottom bumpers, and front/bottom mount).

-Chainbrake lever, pivot pin, and spring.

-Intake boot.

-Some of the AV mounting hardware (some is there, but some is missing).

-Lower cylinder shroud and mounting screws.

-Flywheel cover and starter assy and mounting screws.

-Bottom plate/brace.

-Muffler cover, reed, and reed stop.

That's cool Fraser. Between my runner SP-81, the SP-81 that I'm rebuilding with an NOS P/C, and this PM850, I need a whole lotta AV stuff. For right now, I just need the AV parts for the PM850.

Annie and I had lunch at the ocean today, on the way home I stopped at a yard sale and bought a pretty nice PM610 for 7 bucks, it started and ran just fine. We get home, the tribesman nextdoor was working up a sweat trying to get a couple crappy little stihls to work. He had a big pile of old dry dock to cut for firewood, big heavy beams of ancient DF and some sort of Oak.
I handed him the 610, wished him good luck and listened to it cut for hours.

Great story Randy. Glad to hear you helped the fellow and showed him what a "real" consumer/homeowner chainsaw should be. I'm no fan of the McCinderblocks, but they are good saws for the intended market. They're what the 029/290 creamsicles should be, but aren't....:D

I'll probably have to paint this saw, as the tank looks like it doesn't have much paint left on it. The AF cover decal looks to be in good shape, so I'll try to save that. It has "electronic ignition" between "McCulloch" and "Pro Mac 850".

Hey Aaron, that saw has the SP81E two piece ignition. Does that make it a very early PM850 or a SP81E?

I've had PM850's with points and electronic ignition. Did they do a third type also?

CAM00210_zps5b3b76ea.jpg

I saw that too Joey. Also saw that this powerhead has the remains of a reed type muffler. Looked at the IPL for this saw (13-600439D dated 04/1977-08/1980) and it shows the 2-piece ignition system (same as a 4200-8500 Poulan BTW) as well as the later 1-piece electronic setup. The IPL also shows the small reed type muffler that's on this powerhead.

The saw does have the long 'muffler guard' clutch cover (even though it's not really needed with the small mufflers), and that's what's shown in the IPL. I'd like to put a short CB type clutch cover on this saw, as they look a hell of a lot better with that cover (when they have the small mufflers).

Last edited:
The Automatic oiler on my mac 10-10 I bought doesnt work. Are there any common problems with them? The manual oiler on it works fine.

The disc could be stuck. One screw to open the tank and a couple more to remove the pump. Flush it and examine the disc for wear or breakage. If it looks OK, it is. That should be all and these pumps were in every auto oil Mac, so parts should be darn near free if you need any.

If the manual oiler doesn't work I'd suggest you look at the check valves. Since it's working I'd suggest you first try adjusting the auto pump for a bit more flow. Drain the tank and remove the cover. Loosen the locknut on the adjuster screw, turn the adjuster one turn CC, then retighten the locknut (while keeping the adjuster screw from tuning). Put the cover back on and give 'er a try. Pump the manual oiler a few times when you first fire it up to prime the AO pump.

aaron, that saw looks like it used the same sipping service my 650 did...
hell mine did't even come in a box

btw hows the mint julep comeing?

Last edited:
aaron, that saw looks like it used the same sipping service my 650 did...
hell mine did't even come in a box

btw hows the mint julep comeing?

Your 650 was treated much better than that PM850. It was carefully transported on the passenger seat, and then hand delivered to you............knucklehead.:D

Your green thing hasn't progressed much, other than I've found somebody to do the welding it needs. Gotta disassemble it and my Homelite 2100 so I can send parts from each to be welded....:msp_thumbup:

Another McCulloch BP-1 bring my total to 3

Scored another BP-1 serial number 6615 to add to my collection although not perfect it will become a welcome addition to my other 2 BP-1's

T2eC16VHJHgE9n0yFjbvBRFDPsLeJw60_57_zps0f94cac8.jpg

[url]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b108/ozflea/KGrHqZn4FD8KdbNVBRFDPsTgTg60[/url]

[IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b108/ozflea/HPNX1252_zpsd9674681.jpg

KGrHqRjQFDQ7VMfZBRFDP45oGg60_57_zpsfa1a9784.jpg

McBob

Ive always wanted to play them bp saws

Well I now own a tig power supply a miller 330a amperage range from 5 to 450 amps just need the leads now also it has one big drow back well 850lbs worth of drow back..

The disc could be stuck. One screw to open the tank and a couple more to remove the pump. Flush it and examine the disc for wear or breakage. If it looks OK, it is. That should be all and these pumps were in every auto oil Mac, so parts should be darn near free if you need any.

Also the little rubber o-ring that holds the disk in place may have slipped. Ron

I took it all apart and everything Is free in it. I took the bar cover off and ran the saw before I tore it down and absolutely no oil seeped out.

Latest posts

Back