McCulloch 610 chain brake guard install, help?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chainsaw Collectors

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all. I recently bought a McCulloch 610 chainsaw. It was missing the chain brake assembly so I got some used parts including the hand guard part which I can’t figure out how to mount. There’s a black thing or plug where I think it mounts to on the saw as shown. Does anyone that knows these saws know how this mounts? Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• IMG_6948.jpeg
    IMG_6948.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Hi all. I recently bought a McCulloch 610 chainsaw. It was missing the chain brake assembly so I got some used parts including the hand guard part which I can’t figure out how to mount. There’s a black thing or plug where I think it mounts to on the saw as shown. Does anyone that knows these saws know how this mounts? Thanks for your time.
Looks like there is some other round part in the pic. I didn’t see anything like that in the bag of misc. I wonder if yours didn’t have that guard originally and that is a plug…that would be replaced with the brown part?
Do you have the IPL for the saw?

Pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_6970.jpeg
    IMG_6970.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6967.jpeg
    IMG_6967.jpeg
    895.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6968.jpeg
    IMG_6968.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6966.jpeg
    IMG_6966.jpeg
    893 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6965.jpeg
    IMG_6965.jpeg
    480.4 KB · Views: 0
They changed it because the original was metal and easily broke. While I would not advocate for eliminating safety devices I would not dump a lot of money into it. Those saws pop up all the time for $25. Id wait for that, then you would have a good parts saw. The 610 is big, slow, heavy and ugly but they just keep running. They are a very dependable homeowner saw. I think I have two or three left and use them as my loaner saws. The ignition coil fits some of the 10'10's and the rings fit some older saws I believe. The oil pumps can be finiky.

Your 610 came with a brake flag. You have a brake arm. It will work you're just missing a part which would screw into the hole the cap is now covering. It's like a pivot post or hinge (McCulloch part #95671). Looks like this.
Great saws! To me, McCulloch is to chainsaw like Kleenex is to facial tissue 😁.
Steve

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240308-150635~2.png
    Screenshot_20240308-150635~2.png
    451.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240308_150420591~2.jpg
    IMG_20240308_150420591~2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240308_150408120~2.jpg
    IMG_20240308_150408120~2.jpg
    912 KB · Views: 0
Your 610 came with a brake flag. You have a brake arm. It will work you're just missing a part which would screw into the hole the cap is now covering. It's like a pivot post or hinge (McCulloch part #95671). Looks like this.
Great saws! To me, McCulloch is to chainsaw like Kleenex is to facial tissue 😁.
Steve
Okay, glad to know it’ll work if I get the hinge type part. Thanks.

If what I did on the parts I sent doesn't work I can probably make that #9 part shown in that schematic. is it supposed to be a 5/16" stud/nut?
I didn't see that part in the pile I had...gone now.
I’m not certain what you’re saying exactly, but I did just order the bolt hinge that Rotax Steve mentioned. As for part #9 on the diagram, I don’t know if the bolt and other thing you sent with work yet because I didn’t have that part completely installed yet.

Back