056S Rebuild - Chain Brake/Ignition Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Kessler

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've just about finished reviving a 056 Super that was in dire need of help. I've been able to do it with 90+% oem parts.
The ignition and chain brake were missing from the project when I picked it up. Does anyone have a pic of the assembled brake in the cover with the inner plastic piece off? I think I'm missing a pin but it's just not making sense to me. My manual was of no help.

Also, I went with the Saegenspezi ignition. When I tried to start the saw, I got a pop of vapor out of the muffler. It acted just like a car distributor that is 180* out but it can't be with the ignition wire routing. Do I just have it advanced or retarded too far?

Attachments

• 20240112_181644.jpg
    20240112_181644.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I've just about finished reviving a 056 Super that was in dire need of help. I've been able to do it with 90+% oem parts.
The ignition and chain brake were missing from the project when I picked it up. Does anyone have a pic of the assembled brake in the cover with the inner plastic piece off? I think I'm missing a pin but it's just not making sense to me. My manual was of no help.

Also, I went with the Saegenspezi ignition. When I tried to start the saw, I got a pop of vapor out of the muffler. It acted just like a car distributor that is 180* out but it can't be with the ignition wire routing. Do I just have it advanced or retarded too far?
From the Tech Notes about the inertia chain brake upgrade for the 056 - Screen Shot 2024-01-12 at 8.12.10 PM.pngScreen Shot 2024-01-12 at 8.10.42 PM.png

Hope this helps. Can send you the whole thing if you don't have it. Had some stuff that made sense out of things of the second gen 056 that the 045/056 service manual didn't have. My understanding w the Sagenspezi is you advance it as much as the stator plate screw slots allow. Has worked fine for my Sagenspezis I installed. Don't know if it was an issue for you, but I've found they make the wire from the coil to the chip too long so it doesn't tuck away neatly. One I installed ended up rubbing the wire raw against the flywheel and periodically shorting out. Still would show spark and intermittently work but never quite right. To keep the wire from any chance of touching the flywheel I ended up moving the chip all the way around to the right hand mounting screw of the stator plate and attaching the chip there. I wish they made the coil to chip wire sturdier, it breaks too easy. I kept reconnecting one that kept breaking until it broke off right against the coil and I couldn't get a connector on it anymore. I ended up figuring out my OEM coil pickup was useable and just took the Sagenspezi pickup off, mounted the OEM pickup on the Sagenspezi plate and plugged it into the chip and it worked fine.

There is a way to align the new ignition. There should be a notch in the case, did you line the mark in the coil up with it?
Screen Shot 2024-01-12 at 9.53.36 PM.png

There were two different brake models, you’ve got the old style band & spring, which won’t work for your new cover shown.

Post a couple of pictures of your flywheel inside, one close up with the stamped numbers. Sounds like a mismatch between it & the coil as there were four or five different FWs used over the years.

I could see from the first pic that I clearly have the wrong brake band. That was hard enough to find and not cheap. It may be advantageous to find another cover instead.
I have a box of 045/056 parts I picked up last summer. I know I have several flywheels with different magnet arrangements. Hopefully that will get me where I need to be. I need to look harder for any timing marks. I'm not seeing them. I believe I already have the plate advanced as far as I can, unless my thinking is backwards. This unit had an old SEM ignition in it with no flywheel when I picked it up.

My sprocket has drag on it that I don't like either. With so many variations, I'm questioning what else I have mixed up. I didn't dig deep enough when I started buying parts. I had no idea there were so many.

Edit: I'm a bonehead. I do have the plate rotated too far in the wrong direction. Also, the flywheel says SEM on it (100 459 00). This must be entirely wrong as well. Sheesh

Attachments

• Advanced.jpg
    Advanced.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Clutch.jpg
    Clutch.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 0
  • flywheel.jpg
    flywheel.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Ignition.jpg
    Ignition.jpg