MS 250 Not staying in the cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cre73

Always Lurking, never posting
Reaction score
OK had a MS 250 handed down to me. I love the saw for the power to weight ratio. hate the saw for the easy start feature and quick chain adjust. But it works great in the trees I am harvesting.
Here is the problem the saw seem to loose "bite" while in the tree. It has acted like this since the day I got it. As soon as I put the dogs in it starts pulling again and throwing big chips. First assumption was a chain issue sharpened with no sucess, decide to try a new chain same problem. Last week was cutting and thought I saw a slight tweek in the bar, brought it home put a straight edge to it and it looks fine. Any thoughts? .325 chain if it matters if I remember correctly.

A lot of the time with this issue I have found two things are most commonly the problem. 1 is the chain is often just a little loose which allows the drivers of the chain to slip sideways out of the bar groove - kind of puts it in a bind - and when the drivers "seat" back in the bar it will start cutting again. 2 perhaps you are unknowingly twisting the bar in the wood which essentially does the same thing as number 1. I have experienced this with my own saws before especially my smaller saws it seems - don't know why. Also, and maybe more likely, check the wear on the bar - especially the bar groove. It may be that the bar is just worn out and allows the chain to have side to side motion that it shouldn't. The bar groove might even have somehow gotten spread. Shouldn't be hard to rectify, at worst it'll likely be just getting a new bar and properly tensioning the chain. If you don't find anything wrong with the bar, pay attention to what kind of pressure you are putting on the saw when it does this - like I said, you might be unintentionally twisting it in the wood causing the chain to lose "bite"

OK had a MS 250 handed down to me. I love the saw for the power to weight ratio. hate the saw for the easy start feature and quick chain adjust. But it works great in the trees I am harvesting.
Here is the problem the saw seem to loose "bite" while in the tree. It has acted like this since the day I got it. As soon as I put the dogs in it starts pulling again and throwing big chips. First assumption was a chain issue sharpened with no sucess, decide to try a new chain same problem. Last week was cutting and thought I saw a slight tweek in the bar, brought it home put a straight edge to it and it looks fine. Any thoughts? .325 chain if it matters if I remember correctly.
what brand and type chain?

It sounds like it jumps out of the cut only on horizontal cuts. This is generally a sign of dull chain or high rakers.
Also the saw should always be running full bore before entering any cut.
John

Almost all vertical cuts as I don't use this saw for felling much. Stihl chain always non safety. As stated had a brand new chain on it at one point and had same issue. Have always done my own sharpening without issues on all other saws. As recommended I will look at the bar a little closer.

Almost all vertical cuts as I don't use this saw for felling much. Stihl chain always non safety. As stated had a brand new chain on it at one point and had same issue. Have always done my own sharpening without issues on all other saws. As recommended I will look at the bar a little closer.
Maybe the bar is worn out in the groove part and the chain is sticking up high and not sitting on the rail right. See how sloppy it is. You said you tried a new chain and no change , kind of tells us the bar is culprit.

I know it sounds dumb and perhaps even a little bit like I'm a smartass - not meaning it that way - but make sure the chain gauge and bar gauge are the same. I have heard of people using .50 gauge chain in a .63 gauge bar.... sometimes things get by a man without him knowing it. I'm betting though it's a worn bar though.

I know it sounds dumb and perhaps even a little bit like I'm a smartass - not meaning it that way - but make sure the chain gauge and bar gauge are the same. I have heard of people using .50 gauge chain in a .63 gauge bar.... sometimes things get by a man without him knowing it. I'm betting though it's a worn bar though.
I used to have a crew that would put the wrong chains on the saws every time I went to dump woodchips because they did not know how to sharpen a chain. When I came back I could not understand why the roller noses kept burning up. Didnt take long to figure out.

Back