MS210/MS250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lux

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all. I have an '05 MS210 I got used in '11 or '12. I topped more trees and cleared more fencelines with this little saw than I can count! Wore out a couple of chains and a bar in the process.

Last winter I ordered an aftermarket bar and clutch. Not sure what happened but I sheared the rod in half this spring. Scored the wall up pretty good and punched a hole in the pan!

I found you and my life spun out of control.:chainsaw:
So I ordered an aftermarket MS250 engine! Bolted right up. Has a big bronze rod in it now. Did the MM tuned it and have run the piss out of it.

It's like a new saw, man. I couldn't be happier. I run an "18 bar (I'm '6) and as long as I don't bury it, she never slows down. I would recommend it and I THANK YOU!:cheers:

Hey man glad to hear you got her going..... Is the engine you put in a farmer tec..... I put a whole engine assembly on a ms180, and so far it is working damn good..... I have been putting her threw the paces and she is working great.... I basically did it because it was $40 and I want to see how these complete Chinese engines hold up.....I guess time will tell!!!

It certainly was. $36 free shipping! That was my logic. Worst case scenario I'm out some gas money/lesson learned. Got her put back together and I've run about 6-10 tanks through it. So far so great!

Yep that is about exactly how many tanks I got in mine.... We will find out if the any good that's for sure.... I been cutting hickory with mine, so I ain't been taking it easy on her anyway!!!!

Yep that is about exactly how many tanks I got in mine.... We will find out if the any good that's for sure.... I been cutting hickory with mine, so I ain't been taking it easy on her anyway!!!!
"About Exactly" is my maiden name!:cheers:

We'll have any of you guys used on of these complete clamshell engines, and had years of use from it yet????

We'll have any of you guys used on of these complete clamshell engines, and had years of use from it yet????
I assume you mean "aftermarket clamshell engines". I don't think they've been making them very long, not sure. I've got a couple or five aftermarket pistons and cylinders that are still going but I've only bought one complete engine. Like anything, they won't last long if they're not taken care of including proper break in, good oil mix, etc. I took the bottom off and oiled the bearings and rings before installing it in the saw, maybe that helped make it live longer..

I wish the Chinese AfterMarketers would get on the Poulan strato clamshell band wagon. I have boxes of them with scored P&C. I'd rebuild them if a $20 topend was out there.

I wish the Chinese AfterMarketers would get on the Poulan strato clamshell band wagon. I have boxes of them with scored P&C. I'd rebuild them if a $20 topend was out there.
You can always buy a parts saw with a good cylinder, a little more work. I can usually buy the Poulan saws for very little if any money. I have one right now that has a good P/C but a busted crank. Don't know if it's a strato or not..

I've noticed the flea market I go to has cut back on parts saws also. Most of the Poulan parts saws go unsold but they have good luck with anything Stihl. I could use a couple of Poulan parts saws but they would have to be certain models and cheap. Got a 306A that I may eventually fix up but I'll need a lot of parts to finish it..

Times are slow in buying parts saws now. I have ads on CL: WTB: broken saws. Haven't had a hit in over a month. Probably the heat - no one wants to walk outside.

Hey man you sound like me I have ads like that too.... I will buy your non-running stihls, and may consider other pro saws!!!!

I assume you mean "aftermarket clamshell engines". I don't think they've been making them very long, not sure. I've got a couple or five aftermarket pistons and cylinders that are still going but I've only bought one complete engine. Like anything, they won't last long if they're not taken care of including proper break in, good oil mix, etc. I took the bottom off and oiled the bearings and rings before installing it in the saw, maybe that helped make it live longer..

Yes sir I mean after market clamshell lol.... Yes I oiled the hell out of the ms180 engine.... And I know people will fall over when I say this, but I run gray bottle synthetic stihl mix at about 40:1.... It has been running damn good, and if and when she fails I will post it up on here!!!

I use the silver bottle stihl oil 50:1 no ethanol 93 octane. I have a FS55R trimmer that I have dogged hard since I bought it new in '12. Other than 1 carb adjustment this year that thing fires up every single time. I live in NW Georgia and the grass grows sometimes 9 mos. a yr. That's the only mix I've used. We moved to a 21 acre farm in May of '14 so we're going on our 3rd summer of cleaning fence lines, doing yard work, clearing hiking trails and shooting lanes.

I use the silver bottle stihl oil 50:1 no ethanol 93 octane. I have a FS55R trimmer that I have dogged hard since I bought it new in '12. Other than 1 carb adjustment this year that thing fires up every single time. I live in NW Georgia and the grass grows sometimes 9 mos. a yr. That's the only mix I've used. We moved to a 21 acre farm in May of '14 so we're going on our 3rd summer of cleaning fence lines, doing yard work, clearing hiking trails and shooting lanes.

Yes I have a ms250 that was ran on 50:1 for 4-5 years with absolutely no problem, gray bottle.... I only recently switched because I got a new ms461, and rebuilt a few saws!!!

I will say that I never, ever had a problem with 50:1 with my saws and trimmers for years!!!!!

Yes I have a ms250 that was ran on 50:1 for 4-5 years with absolutely no problem, gray bottle.... I only recently switched because I got a new ms461, and rebuilt a few saws!!!

I will say that I never, ever had a problem with 50:1 with my saws and trimmers for years!!!!!
What did you switch to? I'm getting a 441 Thursday. :happybanana:

I switched to 40:1 which is .9 of a gallon.....nice man let me know how the 441 works for ya, its strong saw, what bar size you getting it with???

Back