My Sawmill Shed Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
awesome work and pics! location and style thus far reminds me of the one aggiewoodbutcher built back when he moved.

I know i wish i had one close to here, i have to finish milling this pecan that's probably about 150 yrs old then haul it back home another hr in the other direction( im in college...)

ted. j. - Howdy!...i see you live near hempstead, im up here in college station.

Yep, just down the road about 45 miles. We met at Jared's GTG a few years back in '07, if my memory is right. I didn't stay long but took alot of pics of Jared milling the big cypress.

How big is that pecan and how long?

Ted

We must propagate the hijack.....

Pic's Ted?

:laugh:

OKAY....
I got the top deck screwed down, so now I have shade!
4020460441_e082c8d748.jpg

4021199108_c082cded21.jpg

Ted

Well, just as long as it's not "scary light", as Rob says!!! :)
but I'm still not concerned about "snow load" either!

I posted more pics in my shed building post....... HERE

Ted

Yeaaa, those boys in the south, they build their buildings scarey light!!

Rob

A Small Update

I needed some 2x4's for my sawmill shed build, so today i "finally" got to milling some out. Here's a few white pine logs i milled today, that i had set aside just for this purpose,

orig.jpg

First i took the slabs off, and then i milled each log, getting the "cants" down to where i could mill them down the center. Then flipping them "up" and side by side, so i could mill off two 2x4's with each pass,

orig.jpg

And, here's the 2x2's, 2x4's and even a few 2x6's that i milled today...

orig.jpg

Now, i need to find some time to nail that lumber up!!

Rob

Your using white oak for you mill shed???? Good god man, your quite insane.

Looking good!

WOW, I long ago forgot about this thread!! I need to up date as I've been in my sawmill shed for quite some time now!! LOL

See the bigger log, on the right, in this pict.?

standard.jpg

It was left over from a materials list that i was milling out, for a customer/friend of mine. Anyway, i needed to build a strong "beam", so i milled that big log "mostly" into 2x14/16's - 16 feet long, and then put them on stickers. Later when i had the time, i loaded them back on the BSM and re-sawed them all at the same time, to get some really NICE 2x12's...

standard.jpg

Then i put ratchet straps around them and moved them to a long trailor that i have,

standard.jpg

I bought several sheets of 3/4" CDX plywood on sale some time ago, and brought them out of the shop two at a time, to re-saw them into 12" widths,

standard.jpg

Now it's time to get started building the 30 foot beam that i need! So i put down two 2x12's, adding plenty of "liquid nails", and put a layer of CDX on top, using LOT'S of nails to nail them together!

standard.jpg

and kept adding layers, making sure to alternate the joints,

standard.jpg

With the beam getting pretty thick, i changed to longer and longer nails, so this "palm nailer" really saved my old wore out joints!!

standard.jpg

Until i FINALLY had my 9"x12" - 30 foot beam!

standard.jpg

Gluing and nailing layers of ply between the layers of solid wood, GREATLY increases the strength of a beam, it makes it MUCH stronger, enabling it to carry much greater loads!

So, there's how I used the lumber from that big log in the pict., to build a big beam that i needed for the sawmill door header.

SR

I thought I'd add on to this, this morning...

With the beam built, I picked it with my tractor and moved it to the shed,

standard.jpg

and with some wiggling, I got it close enough to put ratchet straps on both ends, pulling into place so I could get some lag bolts into it...

standard.jpg

So, I had milled out some rafters earlier, and I started setting and nailing them into place,

standard.jpg

until I had them all up,

standard.jpg

Now it's time to get it ready for the metal roof,

standard.jpg

and with my FREE tin cut to length,

standard.jpg

I got a helper to help me install it,

standard.jpg

and then moved my sawmill into place,

standard.jpg

and here it is, all in place and level,

standard.jpg

I'm not sure what I'm going to do for a floor yet, but until I make that decision, it works just fine!

standard.jpg

Hope you liked the picts...

SR

That's a nice facility... floor or not!! :D

The over hang looks low enough that nothing is going to blow in and keep you in the shade all day. :cool:

That's a nice facility... floor or not!! :D

The over hang looks low enough that nothing is going to blow in and keep you in the shade all day. :cool:

Thanks! It has worked out well and I'm happy with the door size too, is plenty big enough for the logs I saw...

standard.jpg

I'll again, be doing a little more work on it this summer...

SR

Back