My turn. What is it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm - bark reminded me of cherry, but the wood and grain did not. Berries look like Mountain Ash, but the bark does not. You sure that's all from the same tree or you pulling our legs here??? ;)

No sir, all the same tree. I couldn't find anything on the internet a few days ago. The only thing close was some very hard wood native to Australia. This guy has a a bunch of these trees on his land and I have never seen them anywhere else. The land is in a river bottom next to the Arkansas River. There are sprouts growing up all around the tree about 2-4 ft tall with a few of the same berries. Said the land has been in his family 90 years. I asked him if the trees were planted by his family. He did not know. I want to find out what they are before I start cutting all of them down. However, they are in a fence row and he is going to bulldoze them this spring.

The bark flakes off relatively easy...Mountain Ash is what I came up with at first but I don't think that is it...

Do they cut like, and have the weight of hardwood? I prefer Osage or locust for the folks but when it comes right down to it, most hardwoods are time well spent IMO.
Some soft, lightweight woods are good for smoking meats though, hickory or misquite, for example. This is a area of tree species I'm not familiar with but want to learn. Restaurants pay well for those types of woods.

Searching soapberry tree, the berries match. Searching soapberry tree bark, gives some good matches. And searching wood splits, looks real similar too. I think that's it.

Searching soapberry tree, the berries match. Searching soapberry tree bark, gives some good matches. And searching wood splits, looks real similar too. I think that's it.

Winner!!!! The berries are an exact match. The bark looks the same. The leaves look like what was on the ground too. Don't know how you did it.

Now I need to find out how good of firewood it is. The berries are poisonous!!!!

Winner!!!! The berries are an exact match. The bark looks the same. The leaves look like what was on the ground too. Don't know how you did it.

Now I need to find out how good of firewood it is. The berries are poisonous!!!!
yeah don't eat them

Latest posts

Back