My turn. What is it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do they cut like, and have the weight of hardwood? I prefer Osage or locust for the folks but when it comes right down to it, most hardwoods are time well spent IMO.
Some soft, lightweight woods are good for smoking meats though, hickory or misquite, for example. This is a area of tree species I'm not familiar with but want to learn. Restaurants pay well for those types of woods.
You consider hickory a soft, light weight hardwood? That's premium wood in most places.

Also called a chinaberry tree. Rather invasive according to the net.
Thomas, were the growth rings 1/2--3/4" wide? Cut one here last fall to clear around
a field and had meant to look it up but.......

I don't know, like I said above, Im not familiar with those woods. In 're-reading my post, I see that i did make that assumption though.

No, the growth rings were pretty tight as seen in the pictures.

As tight grained as the growth rings are in the picture of the end cuts I can't help but think it's heavy and will burn well with a higher than average BTU. And as someone else pointed out it's free. It's not willow or basswood, I say go for it.

Back