New MS 880 Coil Swap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Understood but again from my vids of the cut and his, the 441 coil seems spot on. If the saw was loosing power you would have seem it in my last vid. Not huge wood but solid piece of Ash and I was lifting pretty hard the saw didn't care. I appreciate the post this is still all being proven out I guess still looking for signs of fault.

I think your timing is dead on. We gearheads are always looking for more umph though. :laugh:

just tinkering Beer gut:msp_smile:

Well good buddy lets hear it scream put to wood. I would love it if you could prove out the muffler mod. I do believe this model is smothering but did not investigate properly and if you can produce a solid tune at 12K with nothing but coil swap that would be awesome.. Its supposed to be warm tomorrow and I will cut so all goes well I will test Brads theory and push it to a solid 12200 which I might have already. Let the vid show all. No promises with time though.

With both guys changing coils to MS 440 ones they both topped out at 11600

sounds like a carb issue that wont flow enough fuell

Like nascar uses with restrictor plates under carbs

can the fuel jet be replaced in carb or enlarged ?

Am I wrong on this ?

thoughts guys ?

With both guys changing coils to MS 440 ones they both topped out at 11600

sounds like a carb issue that wont flow enough fuell

Like nascar uses with restrictor plates under carbs

can the fuel jet be replaced in carb or enlarged ?

Am I wrong on this ?

thoughts guys ?

Just clarify its a MS441 coil, mine is tuned real nice to 12K, and Splitpost hasn't stated he tried adjusting anything yet. I actually went leaner on the H screw and richer on the L.

Last edited:
Just clarify its a MS441 coil, mine is tuned real nice to 12K, and Splitpost hasn't stated he tried adjusting anything yet. I actually went leaner on the H screw and richer on the L.

bolted the coil on,and started it,did not remove the limmiter tabs(still factory fitted),didnt even adjust them,all i did was adjust the idle a touch,its still bog stock apart from the coil swap 11,600RPM :rock::rock:

Ha Awesome. The response on the throttle is perfect. I just ripped 2 weeks ago some 4 foot Dia. Maple No bog no stall. You test it yet in big wood? This is 2 saws now I think the verdict is in.

I wonder if Mastermind got his hands on the one he mentioned he was going to modify months ago in an earlier post?

Ha Awesome. The response on the throttle is perfect. I just ripped 2 weeks ago some 4 foot Dia. Maple No bog no stall. You test it yet in big wood? This is 2 saws now I think the verdict is in.

I wonder if Mastermind got his hands on the one he mentioned he was going to modify months ago in an earlier post?

no only been test cutting (firewood)on 20" stuff,also been fencing ATM ,looks like MM got that 880 to modd but its the earlier version

update and a big thanks to fellow member rogue60

well here it is,i finally modded the muffler and with some help from a fellow member with some parts this new model 880 is an annimal,first the muff mod,this thing is badly restricted from the factory,with the 441 coil and the muff modd it was easy running 12,600 rpm wot,but seemed to be about it,so the intake boot was swapped for an 088/880 one because they have a larger diameter id,i found that by simply bolting an earlier carb on it will fit and work but the carb butterfly catches on the boot sleeve and wont return:bang:,
so once the bigger boot goes on and it does with no modds the older tilly ht carbs can be run ,i did find that the intake spigot is a bit smaller id and the port timing has been changed on the newer model but without pulling the jug its still a very different saw from stock,i have no doubts that even a little intake timing change will majorly improve it ,timing numbers are
ex 100,transfers 119,intake 67,stock,here's a few pics
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back