New MS 880 Coil Swap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stick with it mate you will get it sorted,just wish i had mine to try things with and help get both sorted,like i said in that PM it will be a few weeks before i can get into mine:bang:

I'm watching this thread with great interest. Thanks for trying this coil swap. I've got an 880 woods port coming up sometime in the next few months, and the coil limiting was one thing I was wondering how I could get past. This thread has helped a lot with that.

Young mentioned earlier that he thought the 361 coil may also bolt up? Any more info in that assessment?

I'm watching this thread with great interest. Thanks for trying this coil swap. I've got an 880 woods port coming up sometime in the next few months, and the coil limiting was one thing I was wondering how I could get past. This thread has helped a lot with that.

Young mentioned earlier that he thought the 361 coil may also bolt up? Any more info in that assessment?

From the pics of the 361 coil I looked at it appears to be a bolt up match, and the ignition switch prong is straight not curved the same as the 880. So for that fact it would fit even a bit better since the wires can be layed out the same. That 361 could possibly be completely unlimited. Guessing a woods port would put that saw in the 13's either would work. I would buy it to try but the 441 coil if it is limited its higher than I will need, at least I hope so because I might send it out to one of you guys for a woods port at some point if I get some extra money.

From the pics of the 361 coil I looked at it appears to be a bolt up match, and the ignition switch prong is straight not curved the same as the 880. So for that fact it would fit even a bit better since the wires can be layed out the same. That 361 could possibly be completely unlimited. Guessing a woods port would put that saw in the 13's either would work. I would buy it to try but the 441 coil if it is limited its higher than I will need, at least I hope so because I might send it out to one of you guys for a woods port at some point if I get some extra money.

What Dennis mentioned about the key........that is exactly how we alter ignition timing.

The reason I said anything about checking your timing was because of the popping you described. I've played around with the coils on 064s enough to see some weird stuff from swapping coils. :laugh:

What Dennis mentioned about the key........that is exactly how we alter ignition timing.

The reason I said anything about checking your timing was because of the popping you described. I've played around with the coils on 064s enough to see some weird stuff from swapping coils. :laugh:

Attached Files
TI_09_2009_30_01_01[1].pdf (317.2 KB, 11 views)

The pop I experienced I do believe was from being rich and loading up also being a little cold didn't help. I have not heard it since the saw starts great like Dennis said maybe even better, it idles great as well as you can hear from the vids and my last vid I was real happy with how it ran in the cut and WOT its just only at 11K but smooth which is an improvment but I would like to see 12K+. I want to try Brads suggestion yet and try some small 1/16 to 1/8 H adjustments and video the cut for you guys.

The read above that was posted on the previous page has me wondering about the microprocessors and if there is some internal difference between the coils like some electrical timing, can you clarify this at all for me? The points on the 2 coils are in the identical positions as well as the bolt holes so the contact with the flywheel is the same.

Also I plan on doing some pics of the muffler and show the plans for opening it up I think this will play a roll in this saw. Its pretty restricted and once it can breath I'll bet I can add some gas without loosing any speed or probably gain.

This pic shows the massive muffler cover and again proposed dual port location.
View attachment 226169
View attachment 226170

As you can see the exhaust leaves the cylinder and hits the back wall of the muffler cover, goes through the spark screen and up through the outlet pipe to the other side of the muffler before coming out through the stock port. This system would create good back pressure but also creates a bottle neck and a restricted flow. The spot I picked for the husky deflector dual port would allow for much easier exhaust flow greatly improving the exchange of gasses.

Any thoughts?

Put the dual port on hole size is about 3/8 by 3/4 oval. Had to richen the idle a bit after opening the exhaust it idled around 3000 rpm. Warmed saw for a few minutes made some warm up cuts. I adjusted the H about a 1/16 of a turn as suggested by Brad and made a cut then went a 1/16 more for a total of an 1/8 leaner. Tune is at 11,500 and 4 stroking off load and seems to have good power and cleans up in the cut. Do I push it farther watch and let me know what you think?

[video=youtube;PxV0_yEkAWY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxV0_yEkAWY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Well its still climbing higher than before and not experiencing anything like with the other coil next run ill give it some more I noticed more power in the cut this time as well. Back to work so it wont be untill the weekend again.

Thanks for the help

The best way I could show no limit was the tach, before with the old coil once it went over 10500 it would go crazy up and down and would only hit around 11k in spikes it would go over 11 in spikes to. But I showed the tach well you can see it climb and stop at 11500 smooth ramp up.

OK got out of work early so got one before the weekend. Tuned to 12,000 saw has good power in the cut idle and WOT seems right on. Do I push it further? Opinions.....
I would hate to jump to conclusions but I think its starting to come together.

[video=youtube;85ul9tYYK1M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85ul9tYYK1M&feature=youtu.be[/video]

You've got her dialed in bro! That's a perfect working tune. It's still plenty rich enough for long hard cuts. It could actually be a little leaner, but you're way safe at that tune. If you want to fine tune it even more, tune it to 12,200 and show us again. It still 4-strokes very easily when repositioning in the cut. But you've got a good tune on it now. Throttle response and idle sound spot on too:clap:

You've got her dialed in bro! That's a perfect working tune. It's still plenty rich enough for long hard cuts. It could actually be a little leaner, but you're way safe at that tune. If you want to fine tune it even more, tune it to 12,200 and show us again. It still 4-strokes very easily when repositioning in the cut. But you've got a good tune on it now. Throttle response and idle sound spot on too:clap:

Thank you for all your help. Its awesome that people are willing to walk the baby steps with some of us. :msp_thumbup:

I wanted to say as well that BEFORE the video but after I tuned to 12K I shut the saw off quickly and checked how much adjustment is left in the H screw and it was from what I could tell a perfect 3/4 turn off of full lean.

I do believe that saw is running perfect. :msp_thumbup:

Thanks a LOT for this thread, you have proven the 441 coil is a direct bolt on replacement for the 880. :bowdown:

Back