New MS 880 Coil Swap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks a LOT for this thread, you have proven the 441 coil is a direct bolt on replacement for the 880. :bowdown:

Hahahahahaha!.....I guess when I direct bolted the MS441 coil on my MS880, 2 weeks ago, and it run and started great, it didn't prove anything! Come on man! Smell the Piss Fir!

Hahahahahaha!.....I guess when I direct bolted the MS441 coil on my MS880, 2 weeks ago, and it run and started great, it didn't prove anything! Come on man! Smell the Piss Fir!

LOL I didn't know that you left the key in the stock location or what Dennis. Hell ain't nothing else in the stock location on that damn beast. :laugh:

BTW what in the #### is Piss Fir??????????????????

Hahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:msp_sneaky::msp_sneaky::msp_sneaky:

880 coil swap

i just been down the shed and swapped out the 880 coil for the 441 coil,didnt touch the mix screws and fired it up,idles spot on and revs clean all the way out to 11,600 rpm,four strokes good and all,muff is stock, limmiter tabs still in place,the only thing i did was put the hd2 filter on and when i set the coil i set it at .010"gap and pushed it hard up against the screws,tried to get a vid but camera battery is flat ,got it charging at the moment,did a few test cuts and it cleans up in the cut:msp_thumbsup:

Last edited:
stock 880 with 441 coil

.[video]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/65R_ZOwZzb4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/video]
[video=youtube_share;65R_ZOwZzb4]http://youtu.be/65R_ZOwZzb4[/video]

I see there is a 088 coil in Ozz ebay at the moment.
ht3.jpg
jh.jpg
bh.jpg

i dont see any 088 coils on ozzy ebay???,hey what with all the red rep

i just been down the shed and swapped out the 880 coil for the 441 coil,didnt touch the mix screws and fired it up,idles spot on and revs clean all the way out to 11,600 rpm,four strokes good and all,muff is stock, limmiter tabs still in place,the only thing i did was put the hd2 filter on and when i set the coil i set it at .010"gap and pushed it hard up against the screws,tried to get a vid but camera battery is flat ,got it charging at the moment,did a few test cuts and it cleans up in the cut:msp_thumbsup:

At least what I found with my saw is that the muffler is way to restricted with the internal pipe design maybe I jumped the gun but try tuning to 12K to 12200 stock I believe would not have got there. Its worth investigating. Now that my wood deliveries have started to show up I will get another vid soon I think there is still room yet.

What Dennis mentioned about the key........that is exactly how we alter ignition timing.

The reason I said anything about checking your timing was because of the popping you described. I've played around with the coils on 064s enough to see some weird stuff from swapping coils. :laugh:

can you alter timing by moving the coil up or down instead of moving the flywheel on the key and to advance the timing would the coil go down or up,me thinks down
attachment.php

Last edited:
Just a ? but what is wrong with the timing where it is the 441 coil swap seems to support the saw fine. And how would advancing it help the cause? I'm just asking.

If the timing is retarded, the saw looses power. If to far advanced detonation/pinging occurs and you can toast a piston.

Understood but again from my vids of the cut and his, the 441 coil seems spot on. If the saw was loosing power you would have seem it in my last vid. Not huge wood but solid piece of Ash and I was lifting pretty hard the saw didn't care. I appreciate the post this is still all being proven out I guess still looking for signs of fault.

Back