New Saws versus the Older Ones

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
I went to my local Stihl dealer yesterday and asked for a price on a new 090G.
He said with a smile that they were only 1700.00 out the door.
I said, ya ok, but in the next town they will sell me one for 1350.00!
The dealer , getting somewhat snarkey, said 'well why didn't you buy one there than!?'
'Well they didn't have anymore in stock.'
The dealer said, 'if we didn't have any more in stock they'd be on sale here too!'.

The 385xp, even the 395xp would serve you well. With 1,500 cords to cut that = a lot of fun. More of a workout and fun than going to the gym. I never wore out a husky saw. They never wore me out but after a day of felling, buckin, prepping the saws for the next day, shower then supper it was bed time, I did sleep good.

The 385xp, even the 395xp would serve you well. With 1,500 cords to cut that = a lot of fun. More of a workout and fun than going to the gym. I never wore out a husky saw. They never wore me out but after a day of felling, buckin, prepping the saws for the next day, shower then supper it was bed time, I did sleep good.
I'm starting to like you

I have been strongly considering the big bore 372XP. I think the big bore is only 77CC which is kind of small, but it is a small saw to start with. However I do not like to work on the new Stihl 660 so am not sure what it will be right now. The older saws have proven time and time that out in the field a carburetor can be changed or an oil pump no problem so the older stuff has always been the most bullet proof. Thanks

I noticed most of the fellers on you tube use ported saws.

Thanks for the likes.

Depends on where you are and time of year as well, fire season if you get caught with a modified saw after a fire starts you’re liable for all costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The mid size saws are popular to me. Between 70 to 80cc. I don’t know why but I find used husky pro saws that home owners purchased and they want to sell them. Most are like new. To me even if they need a new ring for the saws that have been run there still a great buy. Do a compression test or try starting it without using the compression release. If it’s low on compression it will start without the cr. Then a ring and base gasket.

I won’t run without a spark arrestor. I’m in ct.

It doesn't matter what kind of saw is in use, it doesn't even need to be a saw...if a person starts a fire then that person will be liable, fire season or not.

If it’s on an industrial site if you report then try to fight the liability is way down.

If it’s on an industrial site if you report then try to fight the liability is way down.

I'm not talking about a little burn, I'm taking about a real forest fire. But I cannot think of the last time I heard of a logger starting a big fire, so I guess it's kinda pointless to have a serious discussion about it.

I don't live in an arid region and I normally am not cutting firewood when it's hot and dry so I automatically take the screen out of anything I get with a motor, everything from my chainsaws and trimmer to my side by side. I've never heard of a fire being started by a chainsaw and if it happened wouldn't it be very noticeable since you'd be working right beside it?

I don't live in an arid region and I normally am not cutting firewood when it's hot and dry so I automatically take the screen out of anything I get with a motor, everything from my chainsaws and trimmer to my side by side. I've never heard of a fire being started by a chainsaw and if it happened wouldn't it be very noticeable since you'd be working right beside it?

Most of the time when falling the muffler will heat up an area that will smolder it’s part of the reason we have fire watch.

Back