New Super Split HD Owner!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was curious the same when we put the HD together and wanted to see how consistent the rack travel was... I held about a 16" piece of a spruce 2x4 stud on edge and engaged the rack and it slightly indented the wedge side of the 2x about an 1/8" thick, if that. It made the same indention half a dozen times so mine gets within an 1 3/8" or so consistently.

I thought 2 x 4 was a great way to test the wedge distance. So since you guys like pictures. Here is a short video. I do think my wedge is set to far back. Might have to give super split a call. But I know from a conversation with the Split Second engineers this is not a simple weld.

I thought 2 x 4 was a great way to test the wedge distance. So since you guys like pictures. Here is a short video. I do think my wedge is set to far back. Might have to give super split a call. But I know from a conversation with the Split Second engineers this is not a simple weld.
Do you have to maintain pressure on the handle to keep it engaged during normal operation?
I mean, does it ever disengage when only moderate pressure comes on unless you hold the handle up?

Do you have to maintain pressure on the handle to keep it engaged during normal operation?
I mean, does it ever disengage when only moderate pressure comes on unless you hold the handle up?

No it stays engage. No pressure needed. Just pull up and it goes until the end of the rack. Got the same measurement by pulling out the rack by hand and then lifting the handle while the motor was not running. But pinching a board with motor running is more fun.

Am not near mine to check but am pretty sure it gets closer to the wedge than that.

Would be a pain in stringy wood.

Yes it is a pain in stringy wood. Had to use a 2 x4 and 3/4 inch piece to get the same demple as 2 x 4 only on the HD.

d285a9589c0cbe813436a6450ba4e9a8.jpg

395b48122dd35581c5132e48ab74806b.jpg

On the right are 2 strikes from the HD. 2x4 only. On left is one strike on SE with extra 3/4 shim on 2x4

tappa talk samsung note 2

Yes it is a pain in stringy wood. Had to use a 2 x4 and 3/4 inch piece to get the same demple as 2 x 4 only on the HD.

d285a9589c0cbe813436a6450ba4e9a8.jpg

395b48122dd35581c5132e48ab74806b.jpg

On the right are 2 strikes from the HD. 2x4 only. On left is one strike on SE with extra 3/4 shim on 2x4

...exactly the same as my half dozen or so rack engagement travel '2x4 test.' About an 1/8" deep indentation. After the first hit, I raised the 2x above the bottom wedge weld about half inch and it imprinted it the same depth across the whole rear face of the 2x.

I was curious the same when we put the HD together and wanted to see how consistent the rack travel was... I held about a 16" piece of a spruce 2x4 stud on edge and engaged the rack and it slightly indented the wedge side of the 2x about an 1/8" thick, if that. It made the same indention half a dozen times so mine gets within an 1 3/8" or so consistently.
This is totally irrelevant. Nobody except maybe the poster, USMC615, expects a splitter to work across the grain. No way will it ever work that way regardless of the tonnage rating. Splitting is splitting, not cutting to length. If you want to cut to length use a chain saw not a splitter.

This is totally irrelevant. Nobody except maybe the poster, USMC615, expects a splitter to work across the grain. No way will it ever work that way regardless of the tonnage rating. Splitting is splitting, not cutting to length. If you want to cut to length use a chain saw not a splitter.

Done as a simple gage/measurement test Oldman47, as Sam-tip stated...no we are NOT seeing who can split 2x's across the grain or otherwise!!

My original question was.

How close does the ram or rack get to your wedge. A 2x4 is just a good way to measure the gap while running splitter. The distance from wedge to ram. We are not cross cutting 2x4's
My original question was.

How close does the ram or rack get to your wedge. A 2x4 is just a good way to measure the gap while running splitter. The distance from wedge to ram. We are not cross cutting 2x4's

Doug, curious, without never seeing a SE model, a couple of possible questions in regard to the SE rack travel end point to the wedge, I know you've stated different dimensions btwn both your models, SE and HD...Is the I-beam length the same on the SE as the base framework J and HD model? Is the rack length the same as well? I'm just guessing here but if the same concerning the rack length btwn both models, with its double bevel at the end of the rack, which dictates 'rack up disengagement', and return spring for the retraction, I don't know if the internal housing welds/mount may be a little different btwn your SE and HD model. Again, I'm curious as to any structural differences inside the cover, and they may all be the base framework, just the SE sporting the biggest flywheels by weight, and the end result could be the welded wedge on the SE possibly dictating the difference. I'd like your thoughts and others.

The end of the I beams are the same length from resting position of ram. 31 1/4 inches. The wedge does sit back 1/4 inch on SE. (26 3/4) SE HD (26 1/2) I will need to pull the covers and measure from the pinion. and length of rack. I thought they were the same rack.

HD

8fe73e02fbe0835696a9502b677c3012.jpg

HD

65fb69f945c13c7bc8a361af83b10049.jpg

SE

8b1ec7e436140d79fec88ecdab2dd148.jpg

SE

23ea503ce434c322d77c10d46b156b87.jpg

HD measurement point.
13665f1a16b8a58355cb7fa2b99eb0b0.jpg

Thinking the rest of the difference is from the different bearing holding the pion.

HD bearings bolts in and only goes in the slot.

The SE is a different bearing and is welded. The bearing is subject to the welder on its location.

HD bearing

93ef99726861f5f29a18db14282b9ad7.jpg

ad60d7fb14de1ba2a83f7d1eba7fb7cb.jpg

SE bearing

13fcbb4b4266f63949fa30869845c9fe.jpg

abb30a182015db9a00e14d74c6aab7a9.jpg

I did compare the two rack and pions while I had them apart. They are the same racks on these HD and SE.

Be sure to use heat to get the bolts loose on the pusher. Must have used some kind of Loctite. With little heat they came out quickly. Then clean the treads with tap and die. Almost ruined one bolt from the left over Loctite.
Also got my follower bearing oiled better while apart.

1a63ca69c84a6b6652e8fe4f64fbadad.jpg

2b5f7be63c0b3981734b4bfc0efeff34.jpg

My mod. Back together.

aa90f8a7d74b21819013a931d504dfc5.jpg

00ed20399bf4ad080d2a855d69ebed8e.jpg

c6ee00e612fcf68d1e3923b24d2effe0.jpg

Doug, how did the shim/extension work on the ram? Does it split the stringier wood all the way?...At least minimize the effort to pull apart a round and get the other half back in action, ready to go again on the beam? Clever idea on the mod. :)

Doug, how did the shim/extension work on the ram? Does it split the stringier wood all the way?...At least minimize the effort to pull apart a round and get the other half back in action, ready to go again on the beam? Clever idea on the mod. :)

Have not tried it yet. Been out of town working. Hope to try it this afternoon. I did talk to Paul from Super Split Monday morning. He first thought I had the wrong rack. But I assured him the racks are the same. At one time they had a mix up from the heat treating company. Another brand uses the same heat treating company.

From my conversation with Paul I think I can get the pusher closer to the wedge. Paul thought the gap should be closer to 3/4 of and inch not just under a 2x4 width. Paul said the gap used to be very close to the wedge but for safety they increased the distance from the wedge. Might make another spacer with 1" steel for the SE and put this spacer on the HD.

Latest posts

Back