New Super Split HD Owner!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you greased the 'pillar block' grease zerks that are on the inside of each flywheel, removing the handle and cover? Give those zerks a few good squeezins of grease and run it to get it slung around. As far as liquid, hit the underneath rack bearings, the return spring bearing that rides the beam, and a few drops on top of the rack to help the rack engagement/cam bearings. I use either WD-40, most times Slick 50 Lube 1, or Pennzoil Z-4 spray lube... All the same when it comes down to it.
Nope. Thanks for the info.

Nope. Thanks for the info.

...only have yo remove the top crimp nut at the yellow handle end, then pivot the handle rearwards, then unbolt the flywheel cover to access the flywheels, grease zerks, etc.

So much great info for us SS newbs. Every bit helps a great deal with troubleshooting, and basic maintenance. USMC, we both have new(to us) machines, and no logs to split! Im dying here! Whats worse is that i have close to 6 cords of log, and 1/4 rounds, and its all frozen, and buried under another 6" of fresh powder. :dumb2:

So much great info for us SS newbs. Every bit helps a great deal with troubleshooting, and basic maintenance. USMC, we both have new(to us) machines, and no logs to split! Im dying here! Whats worse is that i have close to 6 cords of log, and 1/4 rounds, and its all frozen, and buried under another 6" of fresh powder. :dumb2:

I hear ya Cneb5...if I had that much on my property now, I think I'd set up some spot lights, go at it with either a heat gun or the ol' ladies hair dryer, try to do some thawing out, lol. My buddy had to work this wknd, so downing the three red oaks I've been eyeballing is gonna have to wait til next wknd I suppose at the earliest. He works in a F-15 back shop doing a bunch of milling/machine work, their work is constant, never know who gets drafted for OT til the last minute, on Fridays. It's just typical DoD, govt mentality. I've been working DoD for many yrs now on C-17's...been victim of the same 'last minute, gotta work this wknd' crap as well. He hates OT wknd work, I love the OT, few and far between when I get it, but we produce airplanes maintenance-wise, a heap quicker than F-15's, C-130's, and C-5's folks do. Anyhow, I hope you get to splittin soon, like others well before me have said...it makes splittin fun, not a chore.

Dont think for a second that the spotlight/hairdryer idea hasnt crossed my mind!

Smack that wood pile with a sledge and rounds will pull right off. Wood is fairly soft and pliable compared to the brittle ice that is holding the pile together.

I've done that with as much as i can reach Oldman. Split about 3/4 of a cord with the machine. Need to move my camping trailer to get to the rest. The ram started to hang up a bit on the retract with all the ice and snow. Also, the welded "X" on the face of the ram is worn, and some of the logs skipped off a few times. Need to get more bite on the log. Im in no hurry to damage the machine, or myself. My neighbor gave me a can of Lubriplate Gear Shield to use on the rack and pinion, and I beam. Anyone ever use this stuff?

I've done that with as much as i can reach Oldman. Split about 3/4 of a cord with the machine. Need to move my camping trailer to get to the rest. The ram started to hang up a bit on the retract with all the ice and snow. Also, the welded "X" on the face of the ram is worn, and some of the logs skipped off a few times. Need to get more bite on the log. Im in no hurry to damage the machine, or myself. My neighbor gave me a can of Lubriplate Gear Shield to use on the rack and pinion, and I beam. Anyone ever use this stuff?

I've never heard of it, seems it's a heavyweight lithium based grease type from what I read online...should be fine for the rack teeth and pinion gear.

Hey USMC615 Do you work for Super Split? Seems like your main goal in life is keeping this thread at the top of the forum. You joined a couple of weeks ago and have 98 posts, of which 65 are in this thread. For someone who by your words have not had a lot of experience with this machine you sure are quick to recommend it as the best in the business to the people who respond to this thread. Anyone wondering why I would ask this question just read the first post in this thread and tell me weather you could write a better ad for Super Split then what is posted there.

Not at all Dogsout...no goals nor agenda here. Folks respond to the thread, I respond, etc. I call it how we learn and keep a decent conversation. When it comes to splitters, to each his own in regards to what they buy. Had it not been a SS, probably would've gone the TW route with what I had saved up for. And it's irrelevant to me where the thread sits in the forum. I hope everyone's splitter regardless of manufacturer serves them well.

Hey USMC615 Do you work for Super Split? Seems like your main goal in life is keeping this thread at the top of the forum. You joined a couple of weeks ago and have 98 posts, of which 65 are in this thread. For someone who by your words have not had a lot of experience with this machine you sure are quick to recommend it as the best in the business to the people who respond to this thread. Anyone wondering why I would ask this question just read the first post in this thread and tell me weather you could write a better ad for Super Split then what is posted there.
In a world full of circle-jerking, cognitively-challenged fanboys, it's nice to read a healthy dose of cynicism. Sincere scrutiny should never be considered impoliteness nor be rail-roaded by a PC agenda. So I hope USMC615 has no probs addressing your concerns.

That said, as a SS owner for a number of years, I can understand anyone singing its praises. Good, simple, robust and productive machinery needs a place at the front of a congested crowd of mediocre alternatives, all fighting for our attention and hard-earned $. I'm a firm believer we each have an obligation to each other to out the crap products and services while endorsing the good ones.

I look at it this way.... If we were on an automotive forum we would all be hyping up the vehicle we owned. If we were on a sports site, we would brag about our team. Its no different, and we all have something in common. We all own different saws, mauls and splitters.

Dogsout, I hope tou had the opportunity to read my response from your post earlier. Been thinkin about this for an hour or so and I'll lay it out like this...I'm not a heavyweight when it comes to logging, tree removal, etc,etc. I'm not pushing a single soul towards a SS nor otherwise. Before I joined this site, I read and read about splitters from guys like you. I simply, with the 'mason jar buried in the back yard' mentality, saved up enough money over almost two yrs to make a purchase. I've got it no different than 99% of the folks on this forum...a mortgage, utilities, groceries, mouths to feed, and extraneous other bills up my rear end. What folks buy is what they buy and I hope it works out for them as far as no breakdown, financial rebuild cost or otherwise.

I cranked up the thread on this site, first site I've ever been associated with, to give a lot of thumbs up to folks who've taken the plunge and purchased one of these things. It's what this site is great for, reviewing a possible future purchase...and hope ya get it right. I've been burned a many a time with buying cheap, 'heat of the moment' purchases, overseas crap. Buying cheap generally means buying twice. Just didn't want to gamble this kinda money, which comes around few and far between with me, to say the least.

I hope my responses have satisfied your curiosity...we only get one shot at livin on this rock, and I hope I can learn every day something new, from you and the other fine folks on this forum. I hope your equipment, saws, splitter(s), etc serve you well.

Lets get back to the handle adjustment nuts, it does matter how they are configured. First they should not be tightened down against the handle, they should have some distance to allow the engagement rod to move freely in its slot.
But they are configured in one of two ways:
1- so that when you pull up the handle, it stays up by itself to do the split and automatically returns.
2- so that when you pull up the handle, it drops back down as soon as you let go, for safety.

This adjustment is very fine, only a turn of the lower or upper nut will show you this. Once you have done it you will understand how to utilize this feature. Ours is defaulted to #2 for safety until you understand how to operate and adjust your equipment.
Your friends from Split Second!

Back