palo verde tree blown down - advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleve92

Reaction score
Hello folks! I have a mature palo verde tree who's main branch blew down in a wind storm a few months ago. After having it sawed off, I left a few sprouts from the trunk as you can see.

I would love to leave it and let it grow, if it will survive and live on. Could you help me to know what I should do?
IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG

IMG_0136.JPG

IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_0138.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG

People must see beauty in that thorn pile that I am overlooking. them thorns are worse than our locust and osage orange scurge here !!!!!!!

I would leave it and have someone who knows how to prune it properly come in and prune it for structure. When limbs fail, one method of restoration is to let it sprout and then work from there.

I have an english walnut that was damaged back to nothing but a stump. I cut it off just inches from the ground to make it look a lot like your cut back pictures. When it started to sprout again I let a single new trunk develop and trimmed the other shoots. Today it stands 30 feet tall with a trunk that is about 2 feet in diameter. Trees can and do heal if you give them a chance but try to control how it recovers. You don't want to end up with a bush because you let too many shoots develop.

I have an english walnut that was damaged back to nothing but a stump. I cut it off just inches from the ground to make it look a lot like your cut back pictures. When it started to sprout again I let a single new trunk develop and trimmed the other shoots. Today it stands 30 feet tall with a trunk that is about 2 feet in diameter. Trees can and do heal if you give them a chance but try to control how it recovers. You don't want to end up with a bush because you let too many shoots develop.

very helpful! thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back