Personal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cooler of Gatorade on the chipper, 2 gallons for the three of us and I buy lunch and coffee/donuts. Makes the day go by much better. I used to not drink at all all day and never knew it was what caused all my headaches. Not anymore

How in the hell did you manage that!

What cause you'd have to pack your own jug of water? I know it's a complicated concept. It's kind of a test to eliminate the weak, day one if you can't put on boots, pants and bring a proper lunch and a jug of water, something you were told the day before very clearly it tells me a lot about you. Like you may not follow direction very well.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I hear what you are saying but I've had new guys go down with heat exhaustion and I try to eliminate that possibility if I can. We also would provide uniforms but the boots were the person's responsibility.

I hear what you are saying but I've had new guys go down with heat exhaustion and I try to eliminate that possibility if I can. We also would provide uniforms but the boots were the person's responsibility.
We do uniforms through cintas if you make it past the 2 month mark. you get t shirts if you make it past a week if we gave uniforms and t shirts from day one we would go broke, we get a lot of very short term folks.

We do uniforms through cintas if you make it past the 2 month mark. you get t shirts if you make it past a week if we gave uniforms and t shirts from day one we would go broke, we get a lot of very short term folks.

Maybe if you gave them water and some ice. Just saying. Hell, they are all probably going to work for Cape. I hear he buys them coffee, donuts and lunch.

Maybe if you gave them water and some ice. Just saying. Hell, they are all probably going to work for Cape. I hear he buys them coffee, donuts and lunch.
It's not even that, people apply they assume they are only going to drive the truck to the job then sit there for 8 hrs... we tell them at the pre employment meeting you will drive truck to job then you will labor you will drag brush move logs rake you will not have an easy job but they still show up thinking I'm just gonna drive truck, it's pretty rediculous.

One guy goes through the deal shows up and goes oh I thought I'd be riding a lawnmower. It's like who said that? nobody, the company doesn't own a single mower who would hire a mower guy? Did he confuse us for another co?

"Where drinking water is not plumbed or otherwise continuously supplied, it shall be provided in sufficient quantity at the beginning of the work shift to provide one quart per employee per hour for drinking for the entire shift."

There ya go turn on the faucet at the shop it leads to bazillions of gallons of water problem solved

Cal-OSHA say's the company Shall supply 2 gallons per person,, believe me, I got the ticket,,and yes, we are a fun place to work!
Jeff
I was working a job up north, it was rainining and cold. A inspector came out and shut our job down for two hours intell the 6 of us had two gals. Each. Nearest store was 20 miles a way.

Cal-OSHA say's the company Shall supply 2 gallons per person,, believe me, I got the ticket,,and yes, we are a fun place to work!
Jeff
Yes well; I spoke with a lady that was fined for providing ice water by cal-osha. It seems they said, it could induce shock and said room temperature water is the requirement. Lady told the officer her men wanted ice water it did not matter still fined. I shook my head in utter disbelief and new-found respect for home. California is utterly beautiful in my experience so far, it is however over regulated way too expensive and makes a country boy feel like a fish outta water. I'm trying very hard to see the good as well as the bad of your beautiful state but my hat is off to those that have lived here long term as for the life of me i cannot see how the working class can survive.

Cal-OSHA does, indeed require cool (below ambient temperature) water on the site, 2 gal. per worker, or a quart per hour. If potable water is available at the site, you can replenish it as needed, but you need to carry a hose with whatever vehicle carries the water around. I used to keep a 5-foot drinking-water-suitable hose wrapped around one of the five-gallon coolers. I had an entire crew get pretty sick from drinking from a garden hose that was left under pressure lying in a homeowner's yard. You'd be amazed at how many nasty bugs will grow in the hose when you do that, hence the need for the short hose certified for drinking water. They sell these at home improvement centers, etc. for use with campers. Water that's heavily iced down can induce shock that can give you instant stomach cramps or knock you out cold if you guzzle it. Better to keep ice in a seperate cooler, and throw a little in the drink coolers once in awhile.

I've switched to buying the bottled water when it's on sale. I get 24-packs for $2 and sometimes 32-packs two for $4 all the time, at dollar stores, farm stores, you name it. I've never found either the 5-gallon coolers or the bottled water to be much of an inconvenience or expense. It's nothing compared to the inconvenience and expense of heat exhaustion and a crew that's dragging ass because they're dehydrated and don't realize it. I not only encourage, but insist, that anyone working with us takes frequent drink breaks. Production has always been better when nobody is cranky, woozy or worn out from working in the heat while dehydrated.

If OSHA insisted that everyone wears a pink tutu and silver ballerina slippers at work, I'd agree that was over-regulation. Personally, I've never met a regulator who wasn't just doing his job and trying to get employers to care about their employees. Maybe there's a big, evil OSHA guy out there who just wants to drive around all day and make up stupid **** for people to do that doesn't mean anything... but I've never met him. I've met an awful lot of people who spend half the day whining about the government in an air conditioned vehicle or bar or coffeeshop, while they left a crew of eight guys working their asses off on a hot roof five stories up, with no water or gatorade and making **** wages. Oddly enough, they're usually ******** that they can't keep workers, either. Big surprise, there.

I think that anyone who can figure out how to get a construction job completed successfully, can probably figure out how to keep the crew healthy and happy while they're at it. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation, myself.

Cal-OSHA does, indeed require cool (below ambient temperature) water on the site, 2 gal. per worker, or a quart per hour. If potable water is available at the site, you can replenish it as needed, but you need to carry a hose with whatever vehicle carries the water around. I used to keep a 5-foot drinking-water-suitable hose wrapped around one of the five-gallon coolers. I had an entire crew get pretty sick from drinking from a garden hose that was left under pressure lying in a homeowner's yard. You'd be amazed at how many nasty bugs will grow in the hose when you do that, hence the need for the short hose certified for drinking water. They sell these at home improvement centers, etc. for use with campers. Water that's heavily iced down can induce shock that can give you instant stomach cramps or knock you out cold if you guzzle it. Better to keep ice in a seperate cooler, and throw a little in the drink coolers once in awhile.

I've switched to buying the bottled water when it's on sale. I get 24-packs for $2 and sometimes 32-packs two for $4 all the time, at dollar stores, farm stores, you name it. I've never found either the 5-gallon coolers or the bottled water to be much of an inconvenience or expense. It's nothing compared to the inconvenience and expense of heat exhaustion and a crew that's dragging ass because they're dehydrated and don't realize it. I not only encourage, but insist, that anyone working with us takes frequent drink breaks. Production has always been better when nobody is cranky, woozy or worn out from working in the heat while dehydrated.

If OSHA insisted that everyone wears a pink tutu and silver ballerina slippers at work, I'd agree that was over-regulation. Personally, I've never met a regulator who wasn't just doing his job and trying to get employers to care about their employees. Maybe there's a big, evil OSHA guy out there who just wants to drive around all day and make up stupid **** for people to do that doesn't mean anything... but I've never met him. I've met an awful lot of people who spend half the day whining about the government in an air conditioned vehicle or bar or coffeeshop, while they left a crew of eight guys working their asses off on a hot roof five stories up, with no water or gatorade and making **** wages. Oddly enough, they're usually ******** that they can't keep workers, either. Big surprise, there.

I think that anyone who can figure out how to get a construction job completed successfully, can probably figure out how to keep the crew healthy and happy while they're at it. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation, myself.

Good post.
Jeff

I am still not sure if I am allowed to wear a pink tutu to work or not.

Back