Playing with chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuttinties

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
It's been too soggy to do much more than piddle with chain so that's what I've been doing. I'm not too biased but I find myself goofy filing more often than not.
6b1b100a999b1540dc741aff1e9fe28e.jpg

But square filing is something I needed to practice up on. I prefer single bit files but I've been stuck with double bevels lately. I'm probably going to keep a couple around for finishing, but I've yet to find a double bevel course enough to my liking. The chain below isn't finished yet, I still need to grind the chrome off the top and sides. Not to mention my rakers need attention.
8630d1f73181795b343666190c887ddb.jpg

Now I'm no chain guru just enjoy making saws faster. Raker height is very neglected by the average user. I didn't and still have issues finding the right height with square chain.

Too high rakers
f832de308881129a52c83f6a5a1c12f4.jpg

And too low

74895215ffaf81862d00e46e98cdaade.jpg

What are some of you using for raker height on your chain?

That's a big question. A chain that would be hopelessly boggy in oak on a 562 might be amazing in yellow pine on a 394. I quit measuring. If it's not pulling the power head into the wood the way I like, I take them down a bit. The top angle also seems to change how much height it likes

That's a big question. A chain that would be hopelessly boggy in oak on a 562 might be amazing in yellow pine on a 394. I quit measuring. If it's not pulling the power head into the wood the way I like, I take them down a bit. The top angle also seems to change how much height it likes
.017-.025 is working pretty well. I'm talking more about in cants not so much work chains. Right now I've got a saw I'm having issues making a chain for. The saw in the video above likes an aggressive chain. Top plate angle gets to steep without the chrome and the chain doesn't last too long. But I don't want to rip the wood with low rakers either. So I'm trying split the difference. I may just have to order a 9 pin and go from there.

Making a square work chain isn't so bad. But race chain is a little different. This chain isn't my fastest but it works well for this saw.

I know it does. I'm thinking with more chain speed it'll help make better use of the steeper top plate angle
1734053eac22e102e6ae712626c4b70c.jpg

Forward lean is something that I'm trying to get away from
b7dd1de205ab3d2c9157c4386f8e9905.jpg
Screamers like to scream, chuggers like to chug. I agree, that top plate angle will be fast in a cant with high-ish rakers and a fast saw. But only for a cut or two

Screamers like to scream, chuggers like to chug. I agree, that top plate angle will be fast in a cant with high-ish rakers and a fast saw. But only for a cut or two
I guess you could say that I'm trying to find a good area of trade off. Fast doesn't alway last too long but in soft clean wood it's not as big a deal. But as much as I enjoy chain I don't care to touch one up every time I make 3 cuts.

That top plate angle is about what I use for work chain. Forward lean helps it self feed better. Around .022" seems to work pretty good for a lot of my chains for cants.
My problem with forward lean is I tend to get too much. And too much forward lean can kill a saw. [emoji13]

It is hard to stay at 2-3° for the most part. It usually ends up 0 or 5

I took my first sq filed chain to the races at Matt's last Fall and failed miserably. Haven't messed with it much since. Wasn't fair to the ported 346 either...
Try a goofy file they're not too bad. It's a little more forgiving than square filing in my limited experience. Also makes converting round to square a little bit easier for me.

Back