Playing with chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so its the same as a goofy file then..........they are hard to find. i would like to try it, i do kinda have a problem with way a double bevel shapes the bottom of the gullet. i also think me hitting the strap all the time damages the under side of the file.

Well I've got a chain roughed in. I'll make a video in the morning. I need to buy a new file or two hard to make a chain look good with a clapped out file. I've still got some work to do on it but I'm going to do some cuts before and see what the difference is.
edd94ee94e0b9dd26f30366983229113.jpg
I recognize that chain... The underside anyway..
Need a little more angle under the cutter..
Post a pic of the goofy file. Like an end view..

I recognize that chain... The underside anyway..
Need a little more angle under the cutter..
Post a pic of the goofy file. Like an end view..
Yes I just touched it up and getting it back the best I can. I was actually trying to send that pic to you.
9fb2abf86ad9f13c552952dff54e8746.jpg

This is the chain I was talking about yesterday
bece7edbf21bc203370776dc7b3a110f.jpg

Are there any square corners on it? It's blurry..
And you know I can't see **** on my phone...
goofy file looks like a raker file ,ends are round ,but have teeth
At my saw shop they said goofy is easier to learn square with

Hopefully you were standing to the side of the cut, I'm learning too much about square filing in this thread for you to get hurt!

Hopefully you were standing to the side of the cut, I'm learning too much about square filing in this thread for you to get hurt!
I was off to the side the tip of the bar was clear so kickback risk was pretty low. But I don't recommend that people run saws that way. You're not learning anything from me. The guy's commenting are much better with chain than I am.

goofy file looks like a raker file ,ends are round ,but have teeth
At my saw shop they said goofy is easier to learn square with
They don't make a chain square actually. They provide a similar corner and sharpen the top plate, but the side plate is still round. The goofy file isn't extremely difficult to learn. But it has it's own set of quirks.

Latest posts

Back