Playing with chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don, keep at it, when you get a square file that matches the powerhead & wood, U will like it!

Since I started using square, I only use round in dirty wood. I also gave my brother and nephew (MechanicMatt) a loop each, and they both kept it on their saws.

For hardwood, I like the Stihl factory angles, and I bring the rakers down a little more on the 046 than on the other saws. In clean wood, square file holds up just as long for me as round, and I can hand sharpen it about as fast (after you get used to it). Go slow at first.

Also, when sharpening square, I like the saw to be on a lower bench. It helps me line up the file in the corners better.

Are any of you guys bored and good with a stop watch? I'm curious in the difference in times between the 60 dl chain before vs after vs the goofy. I know the goofy filed is slower but I'm going to remedy the raker issue.

Make a mental note as to how much material was being tossed out the front on the down cuts of both chains..
That'll be important later..
It was definitely making chips but didn't really equate to faster. Is the material off the front a good sign that I'm fighting chip clearance now?

Won't a Goofy file (instead of square) also cause that, because the side is not flat? With a square file (which is really 6 sided) everything under the corner in on the inside of the cut, the corner does the work.

On further thought, if both cutters (L&R) are not filed the same, it would also cause that.

Those are just my brain dribble thoughts, if someone has the real answers, I'm listening.

Won't a Goofy file (instead of square) also cause that, because the side is not flat? With a square file (which is really 6 sided) everything under the corner in on the inside of the cut, the corner does the work.

On further thought, if both cutters (L&R) are not filed the same, it would also cause that.

Those are just my brain dribble thoughts, if someone has the real answers, I'm listening.
Square files come in 4 sided as well.

Excessive material thrown from the top means a side plate not severing fibers cleanly, and/or to much swept-back angle "grabbing" the sides of the kerf on the run through. In that size of wood, you will not have to worry about chip clearance.
Yup...
Side plates...
Gotta get um whipped into line..
Cutting the same kerf..

Buncha slackers they are...
Not working as a team..

Sup Alan??

why wouldn't a perfectly square file work well? i tried the triangle file......ruined the chain, time i got it straightened back out it was 2/3 gone.
I will be giving away my triangular files soon ............. they are of no use to me at all, they eat up too much of the connecting link behind the tooth for me, and they distort with moderate pressure leaving a corner that looks fuzzy/dull.

Single or double bevel files work much better IMHO.

What is the advantage to peeling the chrome off of the cutter ?
You can can get unchromed cutters much sharper. Also I'm going to take a step backwards to get the raker height under control. It's a trade off taller cutter=bigger bite. But higher rakers will allow the cutter to do its job more efficiently.

You can can get unchromed cutters much sharper...
WOW .......... I didn't think the grabby little buggers could get much sharper. Touch them and you bleed without taking off the chrome. I have to try it on one of my well used chains some day.

Also I'm going to take a step backwards to get the raker height under control. It's a trade off taller cutter=bigger bite. But higher rakers will allow the cutter to do its job more efficiently.
Now I am picking up what you are laying down. My head has been messed up with some of the raker heights that have been posted lately. I have square filed chains with the same angles and raker heights of .025, .030, .035, and even .040 ................. If the saw has the power, .040 wins every time. Clutch don't get hot. Chain speed is definitely a little slower on .040 compared to .025, but the hungry attitude of them .040 chains gets the work done. Red oak, white oak, even hickory likes them .040 chains. I wont dare put up the raker height I run in fresh maple, I would just get laughed at.

WOW .......... I didn't think the grabby little buggers could get much sharper. Touch them and you bleed without taking off the chrome. I have to try it on one of my well used chains some day.

Now I am picking up what you are laying down. My head has been messed up with some of the raker heights that have been posted lately. I have square filed chains with the same angles and raker heights of .025, .030, .035, and even .040 ................. If the saw has the power, .040 wins every time. Clutch don't get hot. Chain speed is definitely a little slower on .040 compared to .025, but the hungry attitude of them .040 chains gets the work done. Red oak, white oak, even hickory likes them .040 chains. I wont dare put up the raker height I run in fresh maple, I would just get laughed at.
Well to give you an idea that goofy chain has rakers around .045. It was just fine for a work chain nothing more. I'm wanting to get a goofy filed chain close to the same speed as that square chain.

Back