Playing with chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is uneventful. I just try to maintain factory angles and factory cut speed. I use a triangle (6 sided) file cuase they were most similar to round.
A double bevel is 6 sided and nothing like round. Post a picture making your chain better is never wasted time.

why wouldn't a perfectly square file work well? i tried the triangle file......ruined the chain, time i got it straightened back out it was 2/3 gone.
A perfectly square file don't allow you to put a 25-30 degree top plate and a 0-5 degree side plate on a cutter..
But would allow a man to file the tops, then file the side plates seperately if he chose to do so..
Would be quite labor intensive.

Question for single bevel file guys: do you file the top plate and side plate edges separately with those files?

Just curious.

Thanks.

Philbert

Using a single bevel or a double bevel does not change the amount of strokes needed. They both remove material from the top plate and side plate at the same time. The amount of material removed and from where it is removed is determined by the pressure imposed and the direction the pressure is imposed from.

The single bevel removes more material from the sideplate, creating a taller cutting edge on the side cutter, not that its used, but it is there

Attachments

• Double bevel in front of single bevel.jpg
    Double bevel in front of single bevel.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 49
Using a single bevel or a double bevel does not change the amount of strokes needed. They both remove material from the top plate and side plate at the same time. The amount of material removed and from where it is removed is determined by the pressure imposed and the direction the pressure is imposed from.

The single bevel removes more material from the sideplate, creating a taller cutting edge on the side cutter, not that its used, but it is there
I prefer the single bit because it allows me to make a cleaner finish and I tend to have a thinner side plate.

I prefer the single bit because it allows me to make a cleaner finish and I tend to have a thinner side plate.
I found the double bevel file to distort less .......... whereas the single bevel works very well when new, as it looses its cutting edge and more pressure is needed the corner becomes less defined due to the file distorting during the stroke

So no stop watch guys around? Any interest in seeing how big of gains I can get over stock chain with a stock saw?

I'd like to see you improve on stock Stihl RS or square. Other brands, I think it is easy.
Well if you filter back through the thread I've already improved on square chain. But RS is what I had planned to use. I have 1 loop of LGX 93 dl that I could use as well.

Back