Playing with chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watching and learning from this thread, cuttinties. Not ready to take a square file to a chain yet, but I'm learning...
Thanks for keepin the thread goin
I'm still learning as well. When it comes to square filing I've been given helpful tips and tricks. But I'm pretty picky and I like to know where I'm going and why. So I've bugged people who know, and filed chains until I wanted to pull my hair out. Saws don't bother me because I'll always find a way to get more. But with chain it's hours of filing trying to get a .10 of a second faster.

So no stop watch guys around? Any interest in seeing how big of gains I can get over stock chain with a stock saw?

I'd be interested in seeing the gains you get.

I've been learning to square file for a couple months now. I like the challenge of the square file and it definitely seems to cut very fast and efficient.

I'm not giving up but when I think about how much time I have in each square chain I file, its not so fast.

Good info on this thread, thanks to the guys sharing info.

No worries I'm in the slow and slow category. But I'm curious to share the gains I find in chain with people.
I got real humbled when a grind that i thought worked well on my 75 cc saw was put on a 60cc saw and did not do so good ,lot of variables on what works for your saw may not work on another as good ,and type of wood also

I got real humbled when a grind that i thought worked well on my 75 cc saw was put on a 60cc saw and did not do so good ,lot of variables on what works for your saw may not work on another as good ,and type of wood also
I agree my chain may kill your saw, but pull fine on mine and visa versa. Chain is the almighty equalizer, or the knife in a gun fight.

Perhaps I should clarify. Durability should also be a consideration. Making the angle steeper is an easy way to increase speed, but you loose durability.

I think the Stihl factory angles are tough to beat in hard wood, but in softwood, a steeper angle works better.

I also think Stihl chain hold an edge better than most, even if you can get softer chain sharper.

Perhaps I should clarify. Durability should also be a consideration. Making the angle steeper is an easy way to increase speed, but you loose durability.

I think the Stihl factory angles are tough to beat in hard wood, but in softwood, a steeper angle works better.

I also think Stihl chain hold an edge better than most, even if you can get softer chain sharper.
Durability isn't an issue with my chains so long as they stay out of the rocks and dirt. I can make a big difference between untouched RS and my work chain and not sacrifice durability. But I have my own reasons for the way I sharpen. And I'll get into that tomorrow some.

Why handicap the square to be slower than a good round filed chain with those angles is my only problem with running it like that. If I'm going to run square I want it faster than a 2 minute round file touch up.

It does run faster than round for me, and holds up just as long, so IMO there is no downside. If I encounter dirty wood, I have a loop of carbide.

As Brian has stated, and the previous testing proved (factory Stihl square file fared very well) it depends on the wood you are cutting and the powerhead you are using. The factory angles seem to work quite well for me.

Why handicap the square to be slower than a good round filed chain with those angles is my only problem with running it like that. If I'm going to run square I want it faster than a 2 minute round file touch up.
This is my thinking too...
If I'm gonna take the time to file up something fast, all I really care about is that it's fast and smooth.
It's up to me to keep my bar out of the trash..

It does run faster than round for me, and holds up just as long, so IMO there is no downside. If I encounter dirty wood, I have a loop of carbide.

As Brian has stated, and the previous testing proved (factory Stihl square file fared very well) it depends on the wood you are cutting and the powerhead you are using. The factory angles seem to work quite well for me.
A lot depends on the feller with the file. I've tested round and semi chisel to square factory and all were very close. They're on my youtube if you're curious.

Latest posts

Back