Porting & Other Mods vs. Stock

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have run pro saws and consumer grade saws. I've run modded saws and stock saws. My "Snellerized" 385XP was a beast. I like modde saws.

It is quite apparent that many serious chainsaw users on this site use modified saws. I would venture a guess that most serious users feel that a properly modded saw is better than a stock saw. If that is the case, why don't the manufacturers produce a pro-grade saw that doesn't need to be modded? Why can't the saw come from the factory with the expanded intake, exhaust and transfer ports already tweaked? The cylinder casting could easily be modified to incorporate the changes that the saw modifiers typically use.

I understand why the factory may not want to produce a low restriction muffler that is loud as the factory may want to keep the decibel level of the exhaust below a certain level. But it seems that reasonable modifications could be easily be incorporated as a factory OEM option. Is it fuel consumption? Emissions? Would "factory" mods make the engine less reliable?

It just seems bassakwards that we have to take an expensive off-the-shelf pro grade saw and then tear it apart, grind off a bunch of metal and change some of the basic engineering that went into producing the engine in the first place.

What am I missing?

JQ

The factory designer has to take into account many factors that the saw modder doesn't. Noise, reliability, liability, production variations and tolerances, emissions. It's about re-optimizing those variables in favor of performance.

I am yet to run a saw that has been ported,
My question with it is are they as reliable as a stock saw? Is there lifespan significantly reduced from a port job?
Yes, if it is done properly. The important things are sticking to known maximum reliable port widths, known minimum squish and also being very careful with the port shape and level of bevelling on the modified ports. The last bit is to ensure the saw has been given a pressure and vac test, had a fuel system check-over and the carb is tuned correctly before use. If these things are done, the saw will give reliable professional use.

I have run pro saws and consumer grade saws. I've run modded saws and stock saws. My "Snellerized" 385XP was a beast. I like modde saws.

It is quite apparent that many serious chainsaw users on this site use modified saws. I would venture a guess that most serious users feel that a properly modded saw is better than a stock saw. If that is the case, why don't the manufacturers produce a pro-grade saw that doesn't need to be modded? Why can't the saw come from the factory with the expanded intake, exhaust and transfer ports already tweaked? The cylinder casting could easily be modified to incorporate the changes that the saw modifiers typically use.

I understand why the factory may not want to produce a low restriction muffler that is loud as the factory may want to keep the decibel level of the exhaust below a certain level. But it seems that reasonable modifications could be easily be incorporated as a factory OEM option. Is it fuel consumption? Emissions? Would "factory" mods make the engine less reliable?

It just seems bassakwards that we have to take an expensive off-the-shelf pro grade saw and then tear it apart, grind off a bunch of metal and change some of the basic engineering that went into producing the engine in the first place.

What am I missing?

JQ

production cookie cutters? lol

What am I missing?

JQ
EPA

Ask yourself what it cost to have one of the good guys hand massage a saw to run properly and reliably and then take one of the big companies overhead and add it to that cost. Husky would have to charge you $1500 for a 50CC saw. Its the same with any precision aftermarket item. Look at a Wilson Combat 1911 vs a Springfield Range Officer. Look at a Keith Black Engine vs an SRT engine. Anything where time and precision are required cost money. In a mass production environment the cost gets prohibitive. In this case its also the EPA problem that the manufacturers are fighting.

This is a very useful thread for me. I'm a retiring to a wooded land and will be purchasing my 1st chainsaws for firewood. I know nothing about small engines, carburetors, etc. Plus, without that paycheck coming in, I need to protect my investment with a warranty.

Therefore, it sounds like I should leave my saws stock, plus have dealer service available.

I do envy you handy guys who know what they're doing and getting the most from your saws. Thanks to the OP for the topic.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This is a very useful thread for me. I'm a retiring to a wooded land and will be purchasing my 1st chainsaws for firewood. I know nothing about small engines, carburetors, etc. Plus, without that paycheck coming in, I need to protect my investment with a warranty.

Therefore, it sounds like I should leave my saws stock, plus have dealer service available.

I do envy you handy guys who know what they're doing and getting the most from your saws. Thanks to the OP for the topic.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

There are simple mods you can do that will absolutely not effect the longevity of a saw, and may even increase it. A muffler mod can really wake up a saw and actually makes it run cooler. You would be surprised what a base gasket delete and muffler mod will do.

I live on a 10 acre lot that went through the forest fires in Colorado about 2 years ago. I have way more lumber than I want and I'm cutting it as fast as I can.

I don't want a modded/upgraded saw! I already have so much wood out back, what would I do with it if I cut even faster...

I have so many big trees down, let alone lesser ones, that I have ran out of room where to put the wood, and the windy stormy season hasn't hit us yet.

164008515.nYvAc6dd.jpg

Here's a little vid I did showing the differences on an MS 261 I modded last year. I would consider the port job to be rather mild compared to what most folks here do. It's still being used by a local arborist as his daily. I use a 241CM and a 281XP professionally that I ported myself last year. Haven't had issues yet, and am very glad they do more work for me than a stock saw would. It makes my job much easier, faster, and safer.

Back