Poulan 2300 spitting fuel out of carb while running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joed1856

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Joe, and new to the forum. I recently aquired a Poulan 2300CVA. I had the equivalent Craftsman, for a long time, but fried it on 50:1. I grabbed the wrong can.
Anyway, I fired up the new saw, and it runs pretty good, except dose'nt want to quite run wide open, and spits out a lot of fuel while running. I'm thinking it's a reed valve problem, but if this is something common, with a saw that's about to explode, I won't waste my time.
Any help?

Hi, I'm Joe, and new to the forum. I recently aquired a Poulan 2300CVA. I had the equivalent Craftsman, for a long time, but fried it on 50:1. I grabbed the wrong can.
Anyway, I fired up the new saw, and it runs pretty good, except dose'nt want to quite run wide open, and spits out a lot of fuel while running. I'm thinking it's a reed valve problem, but if this is something common, with a saw that's about to explode, I won't waste my time.
Any help?

You could try pressure tesring the carb but I think you may have an issue with the pump diaphram. Just put a carb kit it and I think you will be OK.
If you have any questions regarding Poulan saws, post them in the Poulan thread (under stickies). Great bunch of guys who will help you get things sorted out.

I have'nt torn into it yet. I thought that if this problem was a common symptom of a saw that's basically shot, I was'nt going to waste any time on it.
I probably need to just dig into it and find out

all the micro's and S25's i've ever worked on spit alittle but not terrible. the reeds may be an issue but have you been thru the carb? a rich S25 with it's a/f cover off is a sure way to get ur hand/wrist drenched in fuel. you also need to tune those saws by putting the a/f cover back in place everytime you changed the adjustment PITA i know but so worth it when you run those little buggers and they run right:D

i'll tear into it tomorrow and let you know.
On a different topic. I am new tis and this is my first post. Here's a stupid question. How do I get my list of saws to show up on my profile or posts?

i'll tear into it tomorrow and let you know.
On a different topic. I am new tis and this is my first post. Here's a stupid question. How do I get my list of saws to show up on my profile or posts?

At the very top of the page where it says "Welcome joed1856", click on Settings. You willl see on the left side of the page in the panel "Edit Signature". Click on that and type what you want in your signature and save it.

If you have any saws I want you will be banned and I will be coming to get them LOL

It's normal under full throttle and zero load for the mixture to "fog" a little back through the carburetor. The saw will be 4-stroking while this is going on.

It shouldn't be spitting significantly, or at all below wot-max rpm.

The steel reed can't keep up at max rpm, so a little mixture gets blown past before it closes.

I improved the situation on my 2000 by surfacing the reed block and flipping the reed over. I need to finish my reed replacement project and report back on if that makes a difference.

BTW, the Poulan 2300CVA is a decent little saw. Definitely worth investigating this issue and spending a little time on in my opinion.

I've got about 6 of those little saws and they all do that to one degree or another. They do it worse when they get a little low on compression.

Great saws.

Any help?

No way 50:1 fried your saw if your gas was fresh and you were running good oil

It's called a rooster tail and is normal on that model saw. May be a little rich, but that won't hurt a thing. All of the Poulan 1800,2000, and 2300 series do that to some extent. Double check your 50 to 1 mix, that little saw should run forever at that mix ratio.

Thanks for all of the input. Rather than tear apart the carb I just swapped it with the fried Craftsman. It runs great! It's got a 16" on it and really a good cutting little saw. As far as not being able to fry the Craftsman on 50:1, I don't know. I'd always run it 32:1, like the decal on the body says and never had a problem. When I filled it with 50:1, it ran great for about the full tank, then stopped, and sat there and I don't know what else to think. Has anyone ever compared one of these CVA's to a Stihl 019 or 020? I'd be curious to see how that came out.

I have had a few different versions of these and they always were good lightweight saws for the light to mid-duty work and super easy to work on myself. The only problems I have had is that the airfilter housing often becomes dirty over time and eventually ended up needing the carb cleaned out. The only big downside with it is I have to open up the carb/airfilter compartment to adjust it meaning that I have to adjust it open then open it up and hope its done correctly. I have used a 50-1 mixture on all of mine for many hours but I was always using stihl hp ultra 2 stroke oil. I have two husqvarna 23compacts and a craftsman model as well as a poulan 2300 which I ended up selling.

I have had a few different versions of these and they always were good lightweight saws for the light to mid-duty work and super easy to work on myself. The only problems I have had is that the airfilter housing often becomes dirty over time and eventually ended up needing the carb cleaned out. The only big downside with it is I have to open up the carb/airfilter compartment to adjust it meaning that I have to adjust it open then open it up and hope its done correctly. I have used a 50-1 mixture on all of mine for many hours but I was always using stihl hp ultra 2 stroke oil. I have two husqvarna 23compacts and a craftsman model as well as a poulan 2300 which I ended up selling.
good nice little saws

Thanks for all of the input. Rather than tear apart the carb I just swapped it with the fried Craftsman. It runs great! It's got a 16" on it and really a good cutting little saw. As far as not being able to fry the Craftsman on 50:1, I don't know. I'd always run it 32:1, like the decal on the body says and never had a problem. When I filled it with 50:1, it ran great for about the full tank, then stopped, and sat there and I don't know what else to think. Has anyone ever compared one of these CVA's to a Stihl 019 or 020? I'd be curious to see how that came out.
Did you pull off the muffler and look at the piston an cylinder to see if its got any scoring? If not did you also check to see if the flywheel and clutch is tight with no play?

I have never had a saw "explode". Hey joe how do you like your poulan 2150? I have one of these cheap old saws sitting around in my room full of boxes of saws that are incomplete and/or long term projects... Unfortunately I now can't walk around an my friends believe I am a hoarder. I don't see a serious problem since its not that many items. Only 5 backpack blowers, one cutoff saw, around a dozen chainsaws an 5 weedeaters. Also probably about 5 motors that for just messing around with. Has anyone ever used a McCulloch PM310 motor for a model airplane or remote control car? The pull start spring loves to unwind on its own.

Latest posts

Back