Recommend me a new bench vise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking I should trade this monster in on a 500S or even a 450S. I wish I could actually see them somewhere.

Yep. It's a monster. Maybe you need to start working on bigger stuff? Like locomotives, aircraft carriers, etc.

Seriously, it does look a bit big for your shop. Having said that, if you want to get rid of it, I would put it on eBay and mention in the ad that you need to sell it because it's too big for what you do and you want a 450S or a 500S. Someone will contact you with one to sell or trade.

Scott

@bulletpruf , it's all your fault! I found a SMOKING deal on a Wilton 600S that I could not pass up. I'm headed now to pick it up.

View attachment 552421
Brad what goes around comes around. I was able to resist Yost until one was returned w/chipped paint (865 DI ) @ 1/2 price. and then auction today had an anvil/vise combo. Now I should have more than enough vises ( & vices). I told myself the same tho on buying a 661-mc MMWS...... but I keep peeking into TP 0-:

Ok...I knew this thing would be big, but this thing is RIDICULOUS!!! This thing belongs in a ship yard somewhere!

View attachment 552600 View attachment 552601 View attachment 552602 View attachment 552604

I also got the jaws cut down and installed on the Craftsman.
View attachment 552606 View attachment 552608

That is a very nice vise. Any idea as to what it weighs?

I know it's no one's business, but can you give us a ballpark idea of what you paid for it? Just in case I come across one and I don't know what it's worth.

This Wilton 600S weighs 150#. They sell for $1200 new and about $500-$700 used/restored.

Okay thanks!

Been doing a little searching and they are expensive.

Looked at one of these: Model 800S - 238 lbs. and $3000.00 :surprised3:

31KS0KCZQDL.jpg

Brad -

I really like my 450S. It's not a monster, but for the work that I do, it's very rare that I would want something bigger. Country of Origin is US, so that's another plus. Only drawback that I can see are the lack of pipe jaws; if you think you might need 'em, you should pick something else. If your Craftsman has pipe jaws, you should be good. Just remembered another things -- the Wiltons are "ductile iron" which is stronger than regular cast. A forged vise is softer and shows damage easier, but will be much more resistant to cracks and chips. If you beat on your vises, I would look for a forged one. Not an issue for me; if I need to beat on something, I have an anvil.

Rigid is nice, COO is Germany, but it's not much smaller than your 600, is it? It's lighter, but I'm thinking the external dimensions aren't much different. No removable jaws would be a deal breaker for me, but you can mitigate this by having a few pairs of jaw covers if you need something softer or with more/different texture.

I like the Yost FSV-7 - forged, replaceable jaws. COO is Taiwan, I believe. I have some quality tools made in Taiwan, but if that bothers you, I would look elsewhere. Also likely the same external size as the Wilton 600, right?

On the other Yost, looks gimmicky to me.

Scott

+1 on a vise with pipe jaws. My Craftsman has them, and although I only need to use them occasionally, pipe jaws do come in handy.

And, I'd never buy any vise that didn't have replaceable jaws. Mine has smooth on one side and teeth on the other. Only takes two min. or so to switch um back & forth.

This is all info. I'm quite sure you are already aware of. It's 4 am here and I'm just passing time..............:drinkingcoffee:

My fleabay columbian arrived this week. It's old but in good shape for what I paid. Handle's slightly bent but nothing I can't live with, especially considering it will be used for light homeowner-type stuff. It looks like it has removable jaws, but the trick would be getting them off due to the age of the vise.

I found these magnetic ones on amazon that look pretty good, and its a two pack with separate sets of aluminum and nylon jaws:

http://amzn.to/2j1l1ba

Anything in particular I should be looking for with these?

There are several versions of these. They are simple and inexpensive. I have the ones I showed in earlier post and they have been fine for general use.

The width should probably match your jaws.

If you have a specific application, the size and shape of those molded in profiles could be important, or you can make your own.

Philbert

I'm leaning strongly towards the 450S, although the 1765 is an option. I already have a line on a 450S at a good price.

Craftsman 5.5" -
6" jaw opening - 15 x 8 inches (My current vise)

Wilton 600S -
10" - 156# - 26.3 x 15.5 x 11.9 inches

Wilton 450S -
7.5" - 71# - 20 x 10.6 x 8.9 inches

Wilton 1765 - 6.5" - 70# - 16 x 9 x 8 inches

Wilton C-2 - 7" - 92# - 14 x 9 x 7 inches

Wilton 400S - 6.5" - 62# - 18.9 x 9.8 x 8.9 inches

Wilton 350S - 5.25" - 44# - 16.1 x 7.5 X 7.9 inches

Ridgid F-60 - 6.3" - 58# - 19.38 x 9.79 x 8.18 inches

Back