Rubber washers? - Gas cap gasket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calebng15

Always lookin' for somthing to cut!
Reaction score
Seems like lately, I've been having quite a few leaking fuel caps. Normally, I just put on a gas resistant O-ring.
But lately they have been flat rings. Do you guys know of a kit that has different size washers, or what do y'all do? Do you have to buy each washer separately? With no dealer around I can't get them for Huskys without ordering them. None of the local auto shops around here carry them either.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Look on ebay for rubber o rings all kinds will show up.

Have you looked at your local hardware store , the one that lets you buy just what you need, like 1 bolt or nut or whatever. Local Hardware Hank store lets me buy by the piece.

Look on ebay for rubber o rings all kinds will show up.

I still can't find flat o rings.

Have you looked at your local hardware store , the one that lets you buy just what you need, like 1 bolt or nut or whatever. Local Hardware Hank store lets me buy by the piece.

Haven't looked there.

Guess I could, they just don't come out pretty!
If you can find 2 steel washers the size of the hole & the outside dia + a sharp craft knife with a scalpel type blade, & use a series of light cuts rather than trying to cut through in one go.I find usually produces a reasonable end result.

The round O-rings work very well on fuel and oil caps for Husky, Echo, and Dolmar. I even found one that worked in a set I bought from Harbor Freight. One time I took a ring off a parted out Echo saw and fitted to a Husky cap. The oil leak stopped immediately even though the ring was not identical to the one that leaked.

I use the rounds quite a bit, but you take say a 61 cap, round just doesn't cut it! Local hardware store doesn't carry them either:(

You are correct. The 61's are flat cap washers. Husky has gone to round O-rings on the newer models.

That is what I've been looking for. Flat washer to replace that type. Stihl 025, 034, ect... Just thought there might be a way to get a kit of them instead of having go get one individually each time!

That is what I've been looking for. Flat washer to replace that type. Stihl 025, 034, ect... Just thought there might be a way to get a kit of them instead of having go get one individually each time!
The other route is to buy a new gas cap or fuel cap. You can get these as aftermarket parts for a few dollars apiece or less. Some overseas shops sell them several at a time. Check E-bay suppliers. There are several.

Back