Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya man, lets see some pics! Using one of those army trailers?
Ok, some pics.1018141635.jpg 1115141723a.jpg 1004141128a.jpg
These were from the first effort. The last section is a little more difficult to get to, and I have to haul it further. A trailer load behind a truck load makes it worth while.

Shea

I found a scrounge just around the corner from work. There is an area being improved for a walking Trail. There are several Callaway Pear (sp? ) trees cut down, cut into 4' lengths and piled up on the curve. It has been raining here today, so hopefully the city has not picked them up. I am going to haul my trailer into work tomorrow and get them in the morning.

That makes me think of the bike trails around here. There is so much wood being wasted. Huge trees they just cut down and leave to rot that were dangerous. Although it is so buggy along some of these trails being on an old tow path running along a canal and a river on the other side. I would need to dip myself in pemetherin.

I did. It's the quintessential thread of this forum and also nearly void of drama.

I also put the splitting tool thread up so newer members will see it rather than starting a new thread every time.

I haven't looked at a sticky since they became invisible, actually forgot about em.

I'm assuming you are referring to the actual sticky folder? It seems that is somewhat of a no mans land.

Yes I am, isn't that where this is now if people don't post for a few days in this slow time.

Once I got home from work today, I went out and cut up a couple of small trees on my property (~8" around). I don't know that is really a true "scrounge" or not, but it was free. One of the trees had fallen a few months ago. It is what I call "blackjack oak". It is very tough wood and hell on a chain. It is good fire wood though. I live on the side of a ridge so I was working on a grade, and that was the only thing hard about it. The interesting thing was the bark. It was loose on the tree like a tube and all cracked up. You could peel it right off. What was really interesting was the 6 big scorpions that came crawling out as I was cutting up the log to length. It made me a tee tee bit nervous fo sho as I loaded the wood in the trailer! :cold: Here in Arkansas we have the Brown Scorpion which are not deadly, but when you get stung by one, you just wish you were dead! :cry:

Looks like we have a few new scroungers making posts so that's great. No scrounging for me yet this year. I'm still working on my truck but things are starting to come together or rather come apart quickly lol. I had a coworker weld up a Husqvarna case splitter so I can rebuild a 2100CD in the future. We got talkin about firewood and he asked me if I cut for hire, said he has a half dozen beach trees that are over 24" that he wants down for firewood and his saw can't do it. At first I told him I usually don't charge and that I usually take what I cut but then later I told him I could cut them all down in a day for $100 and I needed that for my truck rebuild. Looks like next weekend I will be making a trip to see him. He said he's got two boys that will be home from college to do all the lifting and moving. All I will have to do is cut the large stuff. Sounds like the 285 is going to get a work out, can't wait!

Back