Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today's Scrounge: Urban Upheaval (part 2)

but that is not really what caught my eye. but this did. almost next door kinda thing. not exactly full forest stuff, but given that deep within the city... free oak firwood scrounge... all but next door! now a forest full has merit, but imo... free and next door?? yes, has merit, too... lol ;)
P1010005.JPG P1010006.JPG P1010007.JPG

here is where the story starts... the small oak branch across st from larger one. wasn't there yesterday... and the pile in foto #3 mostly oak! so I had just bucked the larger one into some nice chunks. the ends bit iffy, but all the rest good oak, perfect campfire wood oak... and I had it all laid out chunk space chunk space nice... all set for the shot, just about to take it... and Whamo! my camera fails! :eek: no sh*t!! bat door latch breaks, and that's that! end of pix!!! so I load it up, cut up and load across the street... then roll on down to the pile and cull all the oak out of it too... but no pix of the potty! :nofunny:

so I head home, park the load... right at 10 cu ft of scrounged wood. I am quite excited about the sudden windfall, pun intended... and having the ez load of CS and soon to be S campfire wood. but my camera! grrr... who wants a repair bill for an old camera? not me! what $100 for the ol POS!? just to fix a door maybe more... so I study it... think I can fix it... and know I am going to have to drill a very small hole for a very small screw... to become the new door edge locking pin. on a hard curved edge of a thin bat door 1/8th at best... da*n!

so short version... I manage to pull it off! :D and it works perfectly... even feels more secure... don't want the door opening, as that's the end of the power and she shuts down! this pix is to show u the .038 drill I had to use to drill the hole I needed, etc. hole is about 1/32nd. note drill bit in mic's jaws... P1010013.JPG

Today's Scrounge: Urban Upheaval (part 3)

was really happy that I managed a safe n sane repair to the camera's bat door broken latch. had to be strong and solid. it is! :) once camera back in service I completed the scrounge pix best I could... as now all in my 'prime mover' the 2 wheel wheelbarrow...ez pickens! a good day for a scrounge. right at 10 cu ft of campfire oak!P1010008.JPG

The End

burls are cool curls... hope u will post up what u do or make with it... :)
Promised it to a wood turning local of some repute and will try to get pics along its transformation from ugly tree wart to finished wonders of nature and craftsmanship. That said, in cutting it out today I noticed some rot and a crack, so nowhere near the epic level of awesome I was hoping for. Hard from previous photos to get a good idea how large it is. Only just got it in the back of my pick up and it is maxing out the suspension. Let's just say the steering was real light on the way home. Is dark out but will snap a pic tomorrow.

KBro, that bark looks like a tree here called Sycamore, which is a soft hardwood. Is it the same over there???
One of these days I hope to run into a good sized, well formed Sycamore here but thus far they have been fugly ducklings. I'd like to make some sycamore chairs one day. These trees are gums. Mainly Saligna and Fastigata. There are a few in this gulley I estimate are hitting 150'. Bigger trees than my skill set and gear can handle comfortably but will just take it slow and hope to make it out alive and not break too much gear.

Was up to the cabin yesterday with my friend Harold. Cut down a dead Ash with a 30' straight trunk that we will try to convert to flooring (if we get a band saw up there).

Started to put the soffets on the cabin, and put a railing on the inside stairs (posts and railing from our chainsaw milled Ash).

I got pics, but still can't get em to the computer. Idiot at tech support says "I can get them to the cloud for you". I told him I have trouble seeing them in the cloud, they look much better on my computer!

Promised it to a wood turning local of some repute and will try to get pics along its transformation from ugly tree wart to finished wonders of nature and craftsmanship. That said, in cutting it out today I noticed some rot and a crack, so nowhere near the epic level of awesome I was hoping for. Hard from previous photos to get a good idea how large it is. Only just got it in the back of my pick up and it is maxing out the suspension. Let's just say the steering was real light on the way home. Is dark out but will snap a pic tomorrow.

>Hard from previous photos to get a good idea how large it is. Only just got it in the back of my pick up and it is maxing out the suspension.

that is really something! u r right, hard to know how big it was, I thot it was much smaller...

View attachment 504581 While I was at a friends cottage learning how not to operate a kayak in the "invigorating" waters of Georgian Bay, the firewood gods smiled on me and this load appeared dumped over the fence. Then my oldest son (perhaps infected by my sawyers glee) announced that he was going to grab a saw and have at er. Who am I to disagree?
That's a nice scrounge Nazi.
Awesome as well seeing your son taking care of business :chainsaw:.
By the way hope you are feeling better.

I was thinking of you and cantoo yesterday as I did some scrounging myself. I was also by another bay, not to far from you all:).
https://www.google.com:443/maps/pla...2!3m1!1s0x8823e104be406d25:0x34d0a227f2ae3802
First up saw this in a pile of trash on the side of the road, my eagle eyes did not disappoint as this tire looked brand new driving by at 75mph.
Best guess is they got a new tire for their trailer had it balanced and mounted it on the trailer without enough torque on the nuts:dumb:. So into the hatch it went.
Scrounge 1 down.20160524_115840.jpg20160524_120020.jpg
Then I picked up another ms460 and a few other goodies including the 36" bar and 3 0r 4 chains, an almost new 20" bar(for the 044:)) with another 4-5 chains nice scrench, torx wrench, home made saw box:)rolleyes:), and even a small screwdriver to adjust the carb(priceless LOL).
Scrounge 2 done.20160524_120038.jpg
Hr and a half down the road picked up this 359 that wasn't running right with a 20" bar and chain. Haven't been to far into it as the muffler bolts are broken off. Pulled the clutch and did a visual and all seems to be in order. The saw was bogging bad, the chain was over-tightened so I will loosen that when it goes back together as well as the low side of the carb was extremely rich so I set it at one turn out and will retune it from there. Very pleased with it even if I have to replace the P&C as I really enjoyed the last 359 I had, they run right with a 361 if they don't have the cat muffler as they are very plugged up. And it even has a Lowes sticker, it's been Lowerized:happybanana:.
Scrounge 3 done.1464056611607.jpg
I was going for another ms310, but I couldn't make it in time to look at it.
My little Honda averaged 58.6 on the first leg of the trip and 56 on the last part, gotta love that.

I was thinking of you and cantoo yesterday as I did some scrounging myself. I was also by another bay, not to far from you all:).
https://www.google.com:443/maps/pla...2!3m1!1s0x8823e104be406d25:0x34d0a227f2ae3802
First up saw this in a pile of trash on the side of the road, my eagle eyes did not disappoint as this tire looked brand new driving by at 75mph.
Best guess is they got a new tire for their trailer had it balanced and mounted it on the trailer without enough torque on the nuts:dumb:. So into the hatch it went.
Scrounge 1 down.View attachment 504730View attachment 504731
Then I picked up another ms460 and a few other goodies including the 36" bar and 3 0r 4 chains, an almost new 20" bar(for the 044:)) with another 4-5 chains nice scrench, torx wrench, home made saw box:)rolleyes:), and even a small screwdriver to adjust the carb(priceless LOL).
Scrounge 2 done.View attachment 504732
Hr and a half down the road picked up this 359 that wasn't running right with a 20" bar and chain. Haven't been to far into it as the muffler bolts are broken off. Pulled the clutch and did a visual and all seems to be in order. The saw was bogging bad, the chain was over-tightened so I will loosen that when it goes back together as well as the low side of the carb was extremely rich so I set it at one turn out and will retune it from there. Very pleased with it even if I have to replace the P&C as I really enjoyed the last 359 I had, they run right with a 361 if they don't have the cat muffler as they are very plugged up. And it even has a Lowes sticker, it's been Lowerized:happybanana:.
Scrounge 3 done.View attachment 504733
My little Honda averaged 58.6 on the first leg of the trip and 56 on the last part, gotta love that.

this post! :dizzy: longer than all of yesterday's post over at Morning Ck In... you win, I think, chipeter...

Longest Post of The Day!! :numberone:

'congratz!'

:popcorn2:

Today's Scrounge: Urban Upheaval (part 2)

but that is not really what caught my eye. but this did. almost next door kinda thing. not exactly full forest stuff, but given that deep within the city... free oak firwood scrounge... all but next door! now a forest full has merit, but imo... free and next door?? yes, has merit, too... lol ;)
View attachment 504683 View attachment 504684 View attachment 504685

here is where the story starts... the small oak branch across st from larger one. wasn't there yesterday... and the pile in foto #3 mostly oak! so I had just bucked the larger one into some nice chunks. the ends bit iffy, but all the rest good oak, perfect campfire wood oak... and I had it all laid out chunk space chunk space nice... all set for the shot, just about to take it... and Whamo! my camera fails! :eek: no sh*t!! bat door latch breaks, and that's that! end of pix!!! so I load it up, cut up and load across the street... then roll on down to the pile and cull all the oak out of it too... but no pix of the potty! :nofunny:

so I head home, park the load... right at 10 cu ft of scrounged wood. I am quite excited about the sudden windfall, pun intended... and having the ez load of CS and soon to be S campfire wood. but my camera! grrr... who wants a repair bill for an old camera? not me! what $100 for the ol POS!? just to fix a door maybe more... so I study it... think I can fix it... and know I am going to have to drill a very small hole for a very small screw... to become the new door edge locking pin. on a hard curved edge of a thin bat door 1/8th at best... da*n!

so short version... I manage to pull it off! :D and it works perfectly... even feels more secure... don't want the door opening, as that's the end of the power and she shuts down! this pix is to show u the .038 drill I had to use to drill the hole I needed, etc. hole is about 1/32nd. note drill bit in mic's jaws... View attachment 504686
Nice pics, glad you got the camera fixed, what would we do without our cameras/phone in my instance:).
Looks like you need to stop by and get a new caliper at the grocery store BL:D.
Today's Scrounge: Urban Upheaval (part 3)

was really happy that I managed a safe n sane repair to the camera's bat door broken latch. had to be strong and solid. it is! :) once camera back in service I completed the scrounge pix best I could... as now all in my 'prime mover' the 2 wheel wheelbarrow...ez pickens! a good day for a scrounge. right at 10 cu ft of camfire oak!View attachment 504687

The End
The end of the scrounge, hate getting to that part, the build up, the suspense, the plot oh who cares about the plot, show me the wood:chainsaw:.
Just another 15 of those wheel barrels and you'll have a full cord.
Maybe we can have a new cord, the south texan cord, it will be 1/16th of a cord:clap:.

this post! :dizzy: longer than all of yesterday's post over at Morning Ck In... you win, I think, chipeter...

Longest Post of The Day!! :numberone:

'congratz!'

:popcorn2:
Thanks BL, I'll take that as a compliment coming from you:p.
I was just working up to this, didn't want to go all out and have an injury, but I'm ready to go now:muscle:.

Was up to the cabin yesterday with my friend Harold. Cut down a dead Ash with a 30' straight trunk that we will try to convert to flooring (if we get a band saw up there).

Started to put the soffets on the cabin, and put a railing on the inside stairs (posts and railing from our chainsaw milled Ash).

I got pics, but still can't get em to the computer. Idiot at tech support says "I can get them to the cloud for you". I told him I have trouble seeing them in the cloud, they look much better on my computer!
Mike, by the time you get those pics posted you'll need to start your own thread, I'll be there, just send the link:).

I'm finding that all the Euro splitters that I'm using are great tools at splitting wood :)

IMG_20160523_200608.jpg

I will never understand why an axe company will not copy that basic Euro head design, with a small variation to avoid lawsuits, and manufacture an economical maul with a sledge or axe eye.

many times I don't want what I have earned LOL.
LOL. Many a true word spoken in jest.
One of the biggest lessons I am too slowly learning seems to be when to say "thanks but no thanks" in a way that doesn't offend anyone and doesn't burn bridges with home/farm owners.
Classic example proving I'm still learning it is I just finished clearing an originally marginal paddock I pruned a few years ago only to have a bunch of tractor issues that took nearly a year to resolve (got a full refund and bought a different brand which is going well so far). Clearing branches/trees (that won't rot easily so can't be left) after the grass had taken it back made a three day job into a 15-day ugly nightmare where I'm losing mucho money and most importantly, opportunity/time and Winter is approaching, closing down many of my jobs because access gets ugly.

When I add up the consequential losses of my poor buying choices buying new gear from w@nkers who sold crap and don't care about anything but themselves, in some cases it ends up being more than the price of the gear that failed. It'll take another Summer and being somewhat more selective about what jobs are worth doing before I get back to zero.

Scrounge 1 down.View attachment 504730View attachment 504731
Scrounge 2 done.View attachment 504732
Scrounge 3 done.View attachment 504733
That's a damn good saw scrounge chipper!

why don't u just upload them off camera into computer, let them go to Pictures. then open pictures and find the folder for the upload... windows 8?

Back