Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was going to ask what you paid for that 460, I really like how they run when ported, they are beasts! Have 3 046/460s and 3 044/440s and in addition to the 362 C and a 024 I'm working on, and I just can't seem to let any of them go!!!

The MS440 had a fried P&C, I cleaned the cylinder, got a new piston and top handle and DP muffler, advanced the timing and deleted the base gasket. The thing is an animal. My brother (who owns a 460) says it is stronger than a 460 but a lot lighter. On the chainsaw dyno all 3 runs produced 6.7 to 6.8 hp. Not bad for an unported 440!!! And, unlike my 044s, it has compression relief! Not bad for less than $100!!! (It had a brand new plug, HD-2 Filter and gas filter, but when they tuned the carb the set the Hi screw 1/4 turn out instead of the Lo, and burned the saw up).
Way more than you did LOL.
I was mainly wanting to get the B&C's for free. I will include a 20" Farm Boss bar or a 24" standard 24" with a good amount of use when I sell it.
The other thing is I will be keeping the air filter cover as mine has a dime sized crack in it.
My other 460 is at 177 PSI and it's all stock, this one pulls just as well.
My beat to heck, but brand new internally, ported and gasket deleted 044 pulls just as good as these 460's.
I don't use the decomps as they don't seem to be needed on the 460's but the 044 it would be a nice option. I have a pretty strong grip and if I'm not thinking about it the cord will get ripped out of my hand, which gets your focus back where it should be when operating it.
The guys I get a bunch of my wood from will be getting the Master Minded monkeyed with cylinder that was on it when I got it. The primary saw they use is the 044.
I'm looking forward to getting that 359 up and running, I'm more excited to get that one going than any of the others I have waiting right now. I'm thinking that would be a great saw to have ported, and keep the exhaust a little quieter than the 044 as it is a bit on the extreme side(If it makes this deaf guy's ears ring you know it's loud:yes:.
Why would you let any of them go unless a better one comes along LOL

All split up by yesterday:

Again, only one of three pics small enough to post. This web site should adjust their settings.
Holy crap Mike those are big pictures.

Took my daughter 2 hours to transfer the pics from my phone to the computer, and 2 calls to her husband (a computer tech). The new process is only about 10 times harder than the old one ... progress .... AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Anyway, the Chestnut Oak I took down on Sunday (luckily with two helpers clearing brush, only took about an hour to drop it and cut to length).

(Tried to post 3 pics, the other 2 are too large!!!)
I like the flags in the background so I printed a poster LOl.
Not really, but I think most of my pictures are aound 2.3 MB and they blow up to full page quite well and take a lot less space on my phone.
I literally have thousands of pic's and videos on my galaxy 5 S.
Here's a couple from last night of the tree's I dropped by the power lines the other night. I was pretty happy I was able to swing them down right were I wanted them to go. This is a repost of picture from the same site as the other one was dark. Got this all bucked up and loaded.20160525_204210.jpg I also grabbed up another one of these.
Has anyone ever seen a case like this. I would love to know what the sold them for/with.20160525_203020.jpg20160525_202937.jpg I bucked up this old white oak yesterday as well as split a cord of ash from the above scrounge. There were two other nice pieces that are all in the pile behind the trailer.20160525_171923.jpg20160525_172013.jpg

Holy crap Mike those are big pictures.

I like the flags in the background so I printed a poster LOl.
Not really, but I think most of my pictures are aound 2.3 MB and they blow up to full page quite well and take a lot less space on my phone.
I literally have thousands of pic's and videos on my galaxy 5 S.
Here's a couple from last night of the tree's I dropped by the power lines the other night. I was pretty happy I was able to swing them down right were I wanted them to go. This is a repost of picture from the same site as the other one was dark. Got this all bucked up and loaded.View attachment 505080 I also grabbed up another one of these.
Has anyone ever seen a case like this. I would love to know what the sold them for/with.View attachment 505081View attachment 505082 I bucked up this old white oak yesterday as well as split a cord of ash from the above scrounge. There were two other nice pieces that are all in the pile behind the trailer.View attachment 505084View attachment 505085
What is that tree in the first pic?

View attachment 505257 Close call with the Fiskars:surprised3:, it's still sharp... Splitting block was too high and round I was splitting was bigger diamater than block, bad combo.

I don't use a block , I throw the rounds in a tire , I have a piece of 14" gluelam that's about 3" thick that I'll use at times but mainly just the tire and rounds on the ground :)

5 lug (Ford car pattern). 65 1/2 center.

Closest Northern Tool sells is 66.5 center :dumb:

Right now I'm getting 1000 miles to a set of tires before the outsides are worn into the belts. And it's getting tough to find decent 15" tires!
Cut an inch out of the middle and weld it back together. Even better if you can find a stub of shaft or pipe that fits inside so you can leave a little gap for the weld.

I don't use a block , I throw the rounds in a tire , I have a piece of 14" gluelam that's about 3" thick that I'll use at times but mainly just the tire and rounds on the ground :)
Might have to try a tire sounds like it works good, the stuff I've been cutting lately is smaller but a lot of the wood we normally cut is pretty big... maybe a truck tire:yes:.

Back